Chase Aircraft Company was formed in New York in 1943 to design and build military assault gliders. On January 4, 1945 it flew the first XCG-14, a wooden 16-passenger glider, followed in October of that year by the 24-seat XCG-14A. In 1946 Chase switched to all-metal stressed-skin construction and a year later flew the 32-seat CG-18A.
Originally designed and developed by the Chase Aircraft Co. Inc., (1943), as a Cargo Glider (CG) in the form of the CG-18 Avitruc (7 built, 1947) and the similar piston engined C-122 Avitruc (11 built, 1948).
Biggest of the Chase gliders, two airframes were built designated XCG-20 in 1949, but neither flew as a glider. The Chase Aircraft G-20 cargo glider evolved through stages into the C-123 Provider. The strength of the all-metal tubular airframe made it a natural choice to become a powered transport. The designers experimented with both reciprocal and jet engine installations. From the G-20, Chase developed into the XC-123 in 1949 with a 67-troop capacity and the XC-123A in 1951. The XC-123A with four J-47 turbojet engines first flew April 21, 1951, as the first all-jet Air Force cargo transport.
The XCG-20 had a design maximum T/O weight of 70,000 lb, but there was no tow aircraft available to pull this load, so it was restricted to 40,000 lb. After some gliding trails the XC-20 was modified to become the first American jet-powered transport aircraft , when fitted with two B-47 inboard engine pods containing four General Electric J-47 turbojets. It flew in this configuration for the first time on April 21, 1951 as the XC-123A. Thus this design became the first to fly as a glider, a piston-powered aircraft and a jet transport.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|