The YC-134 was a YC-123B modified by Stroukoff Aviation in 1956 to test a Boundary Layer Control system. The YC-134 featured two Wright R-3350-89A radials with four bladed props. It had a longer and wider fuselage, with an extensively modified undercarriage. Small endplane fins and rudders replaced the dorsal fin. The YC-134 gained the designation "Pantobase" after hydro-skis were added by Stroukoff Aviation Corp.
For its long life the C-123 it served as base for the modifications, on which were mastered the original means of an increase in the technical flight and, especially, takeoff and landing characteristics. Thus, during November 1954 the Air Force assigned the firm Stroukoff Aviation one of the Providers to be equipped with the system of boundary layer control (UPS). With the aid of the turbocompressor air was selected from under the inboard flaps between the fuselage and the pods and was blown out through the slots above the ailerons and the outboard flaps. The modernized aircraft XC-123D successfully underwent tests, after showing low stalling speed, small takeoff and path.
The Air Force hurried to give Stroukoff a contract to build a troop series of six XC-123D. However the head of the firm proposed a more attractive modification, finished in accordance with the advanced concept "Pantobase" (being rested everywhere). The aircraft had a pressurized fuselage, lower part of which were attached the form, which resembles the bottom of boat, usual chassis, two removed water skis even two underwing floats. It could be operated practically from any surface: the earth, water, ice, snow and sand.
The first flight took place on 28 July, 1955. In the course of tests in the different climatic zones the aircraft showed unique results. Developing success, Stroukoff proposed to create machine with four TVD, boundary-layer control systems and "pantobeyz". But customers signed contract to building of prototype with two more powerful piston engines. After conducting the cycle of basic research in laboratories NASA, Stroukoff altered one series C-123B, which received designation YC-134. On the aircraft was changed tail assembly by installation at the ends of the stabilizer of vertical plates with the controls, is used the new thickened wing, which made it possible to place more effective boundary-layer control system and extra fuel tanks. In the root of the wing they installed two turbocompressors with a power of 400 hp each system "pantobase" thus far it was absent.
The aircraft for the first time rose into air on 19 December, 1956, on the tests were obtained good results, and servicemen ordered two additional machines. On them they installed the modernized boundary-layer control system with one more powerful compressor and "pantobase". The YC-134 demonstrated following VPKH: takeoff on the earth - 244 m, on the snow and the water - 458 m; path on the earth - 320 m, on the snow - 305 m, on the water - 228 m. In the beginning of 1958 all three YC-134 were transmitted to the Air Force.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|