Government Accountability Office Reports on Military Topics
General Accounting Office
Bases and Infrastructure
Selected Weapon Programs
Procurement and Financial Efficiency
Research & Development
|The Government Accountability Office is the investigative arm of Congress. A database of GAO reports is available at GAO, and another searchable WAIS Database of GAO Reports and Testimony is available @ GPO Access.|
- Security Assistance: Evaluations Needed to Determine Effectiveness of U.S. Aid to Lebanon's Security Forces, GAO-13-289, March 19, 2013
- National Security: DOD Should Reevaluate Requirements for the Selective Service System, GAO-12-623, June 7, 2012
- DOD Strategic Communication: Integrating Foreign Audience Perceptions into Policy Making, Plans, and Operations, GAO-12-612R, May 24, 2012
- Security Force Assistance: Additional Actions Needed to Guide Geographic Combatant Command and Service Efforts, GAO-12-556, May 10, 2012
- State Partnership Program: Improved Oversight, Guidance, and Training Needed for National Guard's Efforts with Foreign Partners, GAO-12-548, May 15, 2012
- Arlington National Cemetery: Actions Needed to Ensure Lasting, Positive Changes in Contracting and Management, by Brian Lepore, Director, Defense Capabilities and Management, and Belva Martin, Director, Acquisition and Sourcing Management, before House Committee on Armed Services: Military Personnel Subcommittee, and House Committee on Armed Services: Oversight And Investigations Subcommittee, GAO-12-436T, February 3, 2012
- Arlington National Cemetery: Actions Taken and Steps Remaining to Address Contracting and Management Challenges, by Brian J. Lepore, director, defense capabilities and management, and Belva M. Martin, director, acquisition and sourcing management, before the Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Contracting Oversight, Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, GAO-12-374T, January 25, 2012
- Arlington National Cemetery: Additional Actions Needed to Continue Improvements in Contract Management, GAO-12-99, December 15, 2011
- Arlington National Cemetery: Management Improvements Made, but a Strategy Is Needed to Address Remaining Challenges, GAO-12-105, December 15, 2011
- Military Uniforms: Issues Related to the Supply of Flame Resistant Fibers for the Production of Military Uniforms, GAO-11-682R, Jun 30, 2011
- Defense Management: Comprehensive Cost Information and Analysis of Alternatives Needed to Assess Military Posture in Asia, GAO-11-316, May 25, 2011
- Defense Management: Perspectives on the Involvement of the Combatant Commands in the Development of Joint Requirements, GAO-11-527R, May 20, 2011
- Multiple U.S. Agencies Provided Billions of Dollars to Train and Equip Foreign Police Forces, GAO-11-402R, Apr 27, 2011
- Defense Biometrics: DOD Can Better Conform to Standards and Share Biometric Information with Federal Agencies, GAO-11-276, Mar 31, 2011
- Foreign Language Capabilities: Departments of Homeland Security, Defense, and State Could Better Assess Their Foreign Language Needs and Capabilities and Address Shortfalls, GAO-10-715T, Jul 29, 2010
- Defense Management: Improved Planning, Training, and Interagency Collaboration Could Strengthen DOD's Efforts in Africa, GAO-10-794, Jul 28, 2010
- National Security: Interagency Collaboration Practices and Challenges at DOD's Southern and Africa Commands, GAO-10-962T, Jul 28, 2010
- Engaging Foreign Audiences: Assessment of Public Diplomacy Platforms Could Help Improve State Department Plans to Expand Engagement, GAO-10-767, Jul 21, 2010
- Quadrennial Defense Review: 2010 Report Addressed Many but Not All Required Items, GAO-10-575R, Apr 30, 2010
- International Security: DOD and State Need to Improve Sustainment Planning and Monitoring and Evaluation for Section 1206 and 1207 Assistance Programs, GAO-10-431, Apr 15, 2010
- State Department: Wide Range of Emergency Services Provided to American Citizens Overseas, but Improved Monitoring Is Needed, GAO-09-989, Sep 24, 2009
- Department of State: Additional Steps Needed to Address Continuing Staffing and Experience Gaps at Hardship Posts, GAO-09-874, Sep 17, 2009
- Department of State: Comprehensive Plan Needed to Address Persistent Foreign Language Shortfalls, GAO-09-955, Sep 17, 2009
- Force Structure: Actions Needed to Improve DOD's Ability to Manage, Assess, and Report on Global Defense Posture Initiatives, GAO-09-706R, Jul 2, 2009
- Foreign Aid Reform: Comprehensive Strategy, Interagency Coordination, and Operational Improvements Would Bolster Current Efforts, GAO-09-192, Apr 17, 2009
- Defense Management: Actions Needed to Address Stakeholder Concerns, Improve Interagency Collaboration, and Determine Full Costs Associated with the U.S. Africa Command, GAO-09-181, Feb 20, 2009
- United Nations Peacekeeping: Challenges Obtaining Needed Resources Could Limit Further Large Deployments and Should Be Addressed in U.S. Reports to Congress, GAO-09-142, Dec 18, 2008
- Force Structure: Preliminary Observations on the Progress and Challenges Associated with Establishing the U.S. Africa Command, GAO-08-947T, Jul 15, 2008
- Defense Management: Assessment of the Reorganization of the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, GAO-08-830R, May 30, 2008
- Quadrennial Defense Review: Future Reviews Could Benefit from Improved Department of Defense Analyses and Changes to Legislative Requirements GAO-07-709 September 14, 2007
- Department of State (State) and United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) Actions to Implement Section 301(c) of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, (GAO-04-276R), November 17, 2003 [PDF 835 Kb]
- Homeland Defense: DOD Needs to Assess the Structure of U.S. Forces for Domestic Military Missions (GAO-03-670), July 11, 2003 [PDF 1.42 Mb]
- Foreign Assistance: Lack of Strategic Focus and Obstacles to Agricultural Recovery Threaten Afghanistan's Stability, June 30, 2003,(GAO-03-607) [PDF 8.52 Mb]
- Defense Transformation: Building on DOD's Reform Effort to Foster Governmentwide Improvements, by David M. Walker, comptroller general of the United States, before the Senate Committee on Governmental Affairs, June 4, 2003 (GAO-03-851T) [PDF 157 Kb]
- Humanitarian Assistance: Protecting Refugee Women and Girls Remains a Significant Challenge, May 23, 2003 (GAO-03-663) [PDF 8.61 Mb]
- DEFENSE MANAGEMENT: New Management Reform Program Still Evolving, December 2002 (GAO-03-58), [PDF 1.94 Mb]
- QUADRENNIAL DEFENSE REVIEW: Future Reviews Can Benefit from Better Analysis and Changes in Timing and Scope, November 2002, (GAO-03-13) [PDF 547 Kb]
- MILITARY TRANSFORMATION: Actions Needed to Better Manage DOD's Joint Experimentation Program, August 2002, (GAO-02-856), [PDF 535 Kb]
- INTERNATIONAL TRADE: Critical Issues Remain in Deterring Conflict Diamond Trade (GAO-02-678) June 2002 [PDF 1.81 Mb]
- Department of Defense: Status of Achieving Outcomes and Addressing Major Management Challenges, (25-JUN-01, GAO-01-783). [PDF 383 Kb]
- Defense Planning: Opportunities to Improve Strategic Reviews, (20-MAR-01, GAO-01-514R). [PDF 77 Kb]
- Major Management Challenges and Program Risks: Department of Defense, (Letter Report, 01/01/2001, GAO/GAO-01-244). [PDF 553 Kb]
- Future Years Defense Program: Risks in Operation and Maintenance and Procurement Programs, (Letter Report, 10/05/2000, GAO/GAO-01-33). [PDF 348 Kb]
- Future Years Defense Program: Comparison of Planned Funding Levels for the 2000 and 2001 Programs [NSIAD-00-179] 06/14/2000
- Defense Budget: Visibility and Accountability of O&M Fund Movements [T-NSIAD-00-98] 02/29/2000. [PDF Version]
- Defense Budget: DOD Should Further Improve Visibility and Accountability of O&M Fund Movements (Letter Report, 02/09/2000, GAO/NSIAD-00-18). [PDF Version 1.7 Mb]
- Future Years Defense Program: Funding Increase and Planned Savings in Fiscal Year 2000 Program Are at Risk [NSIAD-00-011] 11/22/1999. [PDF Version 904 Kb]
- Future Years Defense Program: How Savings From Reform Initiatives Affect DOD's 1999-2003 Program (Letter Report, 02/25/99, GAO/NSIAD-99-66). [PDF Version]
- U.S. Atlantic Command: Challenging Role in the Evolution of Joint Military Capabilities (Chapter Report, 02/17/99, GAO/NSIAD-99-39). [PDF Version]
- DOD Budget: Substantial Risks in Weapons Modernization Plans, by Richard Davis, Director of National Security Analysis Issues, before the Subcommittees on Military Procurement and Research and Development, House Committee on National Security. GAO/T-NSIAD-99-20, Oct. 8.
- Defense Spending: Trends and Geographical Distribution of Prime Contract Awards and Compensation GAO/NSIAD-98-195, Aug. 12. [PDF Version]
- Future Years Defense Program: Substantial Risks Remain in DOD's 1999-2003 Plan GAO/NSIAD-98-204, July 31. [PDF Version]
- Quadrennial Defense Review: Opportunities Exist to Improve the Next Review. GAO/NSIAD-98-155, June 25. [PDF Version]
- Defense Management: Challenges Facing DOD in Implementing Defense Reform Initiatives. T-NSIAD/AIMD-98-122. 34 pp. plus 1 appendix (5 pp.) March 13, 1998.
- Budget Function Classifications: Origins, Trends, and Implications for Current Uses. AIMD-98-67. 28 pp. plus 3 appendices (24 pp.) February 27, 1998. [PDF Version]
- Managing For Results: Agencies' Annual Performance Plans Can Help Address Strategic Planning Challenges (Letter Report, 01/30/98, GAO/GGD-98-44).
- Defense Headquarters: Total Personnel and Costs Are Significantly Higher Than Reported to Congress GAO/NSIAD-98-25, October 30, 1997. [PDF Version]
- Future Years Defense Program: DOD's 1998 Plan Has Substantial Risk in Execution GAO/NSIAD-98-26, October 23, 1997. [PDF Version]
- 1997 Defense Reform Bill: Observations on H.R. 1778. T-NSIAD-97-187. 19 pp. plus 1 appendix (1 pp.) June 17, 1997.
- Overseas Presence: More Data and Analysis Needed to Determine Whether Cost-Effective Alternatives Exist NSIAD-97-133. 41 pp. plus 2 appendices (15 pp.) June 3, 1997. [PDF Version]
- DOD High-Risk Areas: Eliminating Underlying Causes Will Avoid Billions of Dollars in Waste. T-NSIAD-97-143. 60 pp. May 1, 1997.
- Addressing the Deficit: Budgetary Implications of Selected GAO Work (Letter Report, 03/14/97, GAO/OCG-97-2).
- High Risk Series - Defense Financial Management (GAO/HR-97-3) February 1997
- High Risk Series - Defense Contract Management (GAO/HR-97-4) February 1997
- High Risk Series - Defense Inventory Management (GAO/HR-97-5) February 1997. [PDF Version]
- High Risk Series - Defense Weapon Systems Acquisition (GAO/HR-97-6) February 1997
- High Risk Series - Defense Infrastructure (GAO/HR-97-7) February 1997
- Future Years Defense Program: Lower Inflation Outlook Was Most Significant Change From 1996 to 1997 Program (Letter Report, 12/12/96, GAO/NSIAD-97-36). [PDF Version]
- Foreign Affairs: Perspectives on Foreign Affairs Programs and Structures GAO/NSIAD-97-6, November 8, 1996.
- 1997 Defense Budget: Potential Reductions and Rescissions to DOD's Procurement and RDT&E Programs (Briefing Report, 09/04/96, GAO/NSIAD-96-193BR).
- Bottom-Up Review: Analysis of DOD War Game to Test Key Assumptions (Letter Report, 06/21/96, GAO/NSIAD-96-170). [PDF Version]
- Bottom-Up Review: Analysis of Key DOD Assumptions (Chapter Report, GAO/NSIAD-95-56, 01/31/95). [PDF Version 1.09 Mb]
- Addressing the Deficit: Budgetary Implications of Selected GAO Work, (Letter Report, 03/11/94, GAO/OCG-94-3).
- Addressing the Deficit: Budgetary Implications of Selected GAO Work for Fiscal Year 1996 (Letter Report, 03/15/95, GAO/OCG-95-2).
- Transition Series - National Security Issues GAO/OCG-93-9TR December 1992
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|