36th Engineer Brigade
36th Engineer Group (Construction)
The mission of the 36th Engineer Brigade is to train, integrate, and project modular engineer forces in order to provide engineer battle command and sustained full-spectrum engineering in support of joint or combined military operations.
The mission of the previous 36th Engineer Group (Construction) was to provide horizontal construction, logistics and medical support to Fort Benning, tenant units and satellite installations. The unit's day-to-day mission at Fort Benning included supporting the Post Ammunition Supply Point (ASP), transporting supplies and heavy equipment, and conducting topographic surveys, construction design and horizontal construction.
The 36th Engineer Group was charged with maintaining combat contingency mission readiness and support to the US Army Infantry Center and School. More than 35 Active, National Guard and Army Reserve units were aligned with the Group and its component units to meet a wide range of missions. More than 1,500 soldiers serving in some 100 different Military Occupational Specialities were required to accomplish mission focus and installation support. Combat readiness was maintained by realistic field training and readiness deployment exercises, including a large number of off-post and overseas deployments.
On order, elements of the Group would deploy by land, sea and air, occupy assigned assembly areas, and provide combat support and combat service support. On orders, Group Headquarters would assume Command and Control of designated Engineer forces and provide mobility, countermobility, survivability and general engineering support. The units provided a deployable support element to the 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, and combat support and combat service support to the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized). Individuals and units, also, deployed in support of ongoing stability and contingency operations and off-Post exercises.
The 36th Engineer Group (Construction) was a diversified command, consisting of one battalion, a field hospital and 2 separate companies. The Battalion was the 13th Corps Support Battalion, which was comprised of a Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment and the 104th Transportation, 598th Maintenance and 608th Ordnance Companies. The 104th included 2 detachments: the 361st Trailer Transfer Detachment and the 233rd Heavy Equipment Transport Platoon. The field hospital was the 14th Field Hospital, which consisted of a cadre. Approximately 350 PROFIS personnel round out the unit when it deploys. Separate companies included the Group Headquarters and Headquarters Company and the 63rd Engineer Company (Combat Support Equipment).
The Group's 1,300 Forces Command soldiers trained hard, ready to meet any contingency while providing a wide range of support to the Infantry Center and Fort Benning, Georgia. Units assigned to the Group at Fort Benning supported the Infantry Center not only with Engineer skills, but with other services to include ammunition handling, local and line haul transportation, direct support maintenance, and air and ground ambulance support.
In addition to building roads on Post, the 36th Engineer Group supported the 24th Infantry Division at the National Training Center and the Ranger Regiment at Joint Readiness Training Center and participated in numerous training exercises from Fort Bragg to Fort Polk to Kuwait.
Fort Benning's 36th Engineer Group had been at the forefront of the Army's post-Cold War mission of providing aid. It performed disaster relief during the Georgia Floods of 1994 and conducted peacekeeping missions during Operations Continue Hope in Somalia and Uphold Democracy in Haiti. On 22 November 1999, the 36th Engineer Group, Fort Benning, Georgia, deployed its lead elements into the country as part of the US relief effort known as Operation Fuerte Apoyo (Strong Support) in Nicaragua. The 36th was the command and control headquarters for all US forces deployed to Nicaragua.
The 36th Engineer Group had a long and distinguished record during both war and peace. The unit was formed over fifty years ago, and fought with distinction in World War II, the Korean War, and the Gulf War. The Group's colors carried 22 battle streamers, many earned in combat while reorganized as Infantry. The unit earned 9 battle streamers during the Korean War and, and 2 streamers for its outstanding support during the Gulf War. The unit was first constituted on 1 October 1933 in the Regular Army as the 36th Engineers and activated on 1 June 1941 at Plattsburg Barracks, New York. It was redesignated on 1 August 1942 as the 36th Engineer Combat Regiment.
During World War II the 36th Engineer Regiment consisted of 9 combat engineer companies trained for amphibious assault and support operations. The regiment's proud history as one of the first engineer units to fight using amphibious tactics is mirrored in the unit's distinctive insignia, a seahorse on a red and white shield, proclaiming the prowess demonstrated during its five amphibious assault landings at Algeria-French Morocco, Sicily, Naples Foggia, Anzio, and Southern France. At Anzio where, for 50 days, soldiers wearing the seahorse shoulder patch held 7 miles of front lines and earned the distinction by the Germans as "The Little Seahorse Division."
On 15 February 1945, the unit's Headquarters, Headquarters, and Service Company was redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 36th Engineer Combat Group, and following World War II it reorganized at Fort Lewis, Washington. Its 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Battalions became the 2826th, 2827th, and 2828th Engineer Combat Battalions, respectively, which thereafter had separate lineages. Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 36th Engineer Combat Group was inactivated on 30 November 1946 in Austria.
The unit was activated on 5 May 1947 at Fort Lewis, Washington. During the Korean War, the 36th Engineer Combat Group consisted of 4 engineer battalions and 4 additional engineer companies, earning 2 Meritorious Unit Citations and the Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation. It was reorganized and redesignated on 10 April 1953 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 36th Engineer Group. The unit inactivated on 30 May 1972, and reactivated on 1 July 1973 as the 36th Engineer Group (Construction) at Fort Benning, Georgia.
In 1991 Operation Desert Storm validated the Engineer Restructure Initiative (ERI), previously known as E-Force. The concept called for the addition of an engineer regiment to the heavy division. Commander, 36th Engineer Group, served as the 24th Division Engineer. One combat engineer battalion was assigned to each maneuver brigade, 5th Engineer Battalion to 1st Brigade, 3rd Engineer Battalion to 2nd Brigade, and 299th Engineer Battalion to the 197th Brigade (Seperate). During the rapid attack to the Euphrates, the battalions performed the critical task of identifying, marking, and improving over 500 kilometers of combat trails through the Division attack zone.
On 16 June 2006, the unit was redesignated the 36th Engineer Brigade and reassigned to Fort Hood, Texas as the United States Army's first modular engineer brigade headquarters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|