13th Corps Support Battalion
The peacetime mission of the 13th Corps Support Battalion is to train to perform wartime mission, provide direct support maintenance, Class IX support and heavy equipment transportation, and soldier augmentation to Fort Benning's Ammunition Supply Point; provide other support as required.
The wartime mission of the 13th CSB is to deploy, provide C2 of up to 7 companies; provide direct support maintenance, transportation of containerized and break bulk supplies, and Class I, II, III, IV,V, VI, VII, IX support to non-divisional units, provide back-up support to divisional units and redeploy.
The 13th Corps Support Battalion consists of the following units:
- HHD: 13th Headquarters, 13th Corps Support Battalion
- 104th Transportation: Hauling supplies to Ft Benning and 3d Bde, 3ID
- 233d HETT Platoon: Element of the 104th Transportation Company
- 361st Trailer Transfer: Element of the 104th Transportation Company
- 598th Maintenance: Direct Support Maintenance for Ft Benning
- 608th Ordnance: Responsible for the Ammunition Supply Point for Ft Benning
The 104th Transportation Company provides over the road transport service locally and to locations throughout the country, such as Fort Irwin, Fort Drum and Dugway, Utah. The Company logged more than one million miles across the sands of Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Kuwait during Desert Shield/Storm, and more than 130,000 miles during Operation Restore Hope in Somalia.
The 598th Maintenance Company provides direct support level maintenance to units of Fort Benning, and supported more than 80 units during Operation Continue Hope in Somalia.
The 608th Ordnance Company is a direct/general support ammunition unit. It operates Fort Benning's Ammunition Supply Point which provides ammunition to all of the post's units, as well as many local reserve and national guard units. The company operated the theatre ASP during Operation Continue Hope in Somalia.
The 361st Trailer Transfer Detachment provides local support and also supplements support with various units.
The 13th Corps Support Battalion was originally constituted on 13 January 1941 in the Regular Army as the 60th Quartermaster Battalion. It activated on 25 May 1942 at Camp Claiborne, LA, (its organic elements activated between 1 June 1941 - 21 April 1942 at various stations). The battalion was broken up on 10 March 1944 and its elements reorganized as follows:
- Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 60th Quartermaster Battalion.
- Companies A, B, C, and D as the 421st, 422d, 423d, and 424th Quartermaster Laundry Companies, respectively (hereafter separate lineages).
Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 60th Quartermaster Battalion, was reorganized and redesignated on 24 March 1946 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 60th Quartermaster Battalion, Mobile. It converted and was redesignated on 1 August 1946 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 60th Transportation Corps Truck Battalion; and on 1 February 1947 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 60th Quartermaster Battalion. It inactivated on 20 June 1948 in England.
Redesignated on 18 November 1948 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 13th Quartermaster Battalion, it activated on 4 January 1949 at Camp Lee, VA. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 July 1962 as the 13th Quartermaster Battalion (its organic elements were constituted on 25 May 1962 and activated 1 July 1962 in Korea).
The unit was redesignated on 1 June 1966 as the 13th Supply and Service Battalion; and on 16 October 1992 as the 13th Corps Support Battalion.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|