14th Combat Support Hospital
14th Field Hospital
The 14th Combat Support Hospital mission is to organize, train, deploy, and provide command and control of hospital forces, which provide comprehensive, high quality Level IV combat health support in support to world-wide contingency operations. It would, on order, assume medical task force command and control.
The 14th Combat Support Hospital was first constituted on 23 June 1942 in the Army of the United States as 14th Field Hospital. It was inactivated on 25 July 1942 at Camp Bowie, Texas.
The unit reactivated on 13 November 1950 in Korea. It was allotted to the Regular Army on 31 October 1951. During the Korean War, the unit served in 7 campaigns: CCF Intervention, First UN Counteroffensive, UN Summer-Fall Offensive, Second Korean Winter, Korea Summer-Fall 1952, Third Korean Winter, Korea Summer-Fall 1953. After the end of the Korean War, the Hospital was inactivated on 1 February 1954 in Korea.
The Hospital was reactivated on 3 December 1954 in Germany and inactivated there on 15 April 1968. The 14th Field Hospital was reactivated on 6 October 1996 at Fort Benning, Georgia. There the unit was assigned to the 3rd Medical Command. At Fort Benning, administrative control was provided by the 36th Engineer Group.
By 2000, the 14th Field Hospital was a 504-bed Deployable Medical Systems (DEPMEDS) facility that provided up to level IV (general and specialized medical and surgical care) hospitalization support and services for general classes of patients in the theater (Echelon Above Corps). The Hospital's mission was to, on order, deploy whole or in part, a 504-bed Deployable Medical System (DEPMEDS) facility to a theater of operations in support of a contingency force to provide up to Level IV health service support (emergency, restorative, and rehabilitative treatment).
The 14th Field Hospital served as the primary conduit for patient evacuation to CONUS. The 14th Field Hospital was capable of deploying a bed slice tailored to provide level III and IV hospitalization support and services for Military and Civilian Patients during Operations Other Than War (OOTW). The 14th Field Hospital was also capable of deploying hospital personnel by air to a prepositioned facility, establishing the hospital, organizing for combat service support, and providing hospitalization support and services.
The 14th Field Hospital Cadre were responsible for training (clinical/field), maintaining and sustaining a state of readiness for 353 Professional Filler System (PROFIS) personnel from several Medical Treatment Facilities (MTFs). PROFIS personnel were active duty Army Medical Department (AMEDD) personnel serving in TDA units (MTFs) that filled FORSCOM early deploying MTOE units, such as the 14th Field Hospital. The PROFIS Cadre were responsible for maintaining the highest state of equipment readiness for the DEPMEDS medical equipment sets and other organizational equipment.
The 3rd Medical Command was relocated to the United States Army Reserve Center at Fort Gillem, Georgia in February 2004. As a result, the 14th Field Hospital was reassigned to the 44th Medical Command, XVIII Corps, based at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. The unit was redesignated on 16 October 2004 as 14th Combat Support Hospital.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|