Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


116th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 29th Infantry Division
116th Infantry Brigade Combat Team
1st Brigade, 29th Infantry Division (Light)
116th Infantry Brigade (Separate)
"Stonewall Brigade"

The 116th Infantry Brigade Combat Team is an infantry brigade combat of the Virginia Army National Guard assigned to the 29th Infantry Division. The 116th Infantry Brigade Combat Team is headquartered in Staunton, Virginia, with elements and its assigned units located in various other locations.

The unit designation conventions and the process by which units acquire their lineage and honors is different between the active US Army and Army Reserve and the Army National Guard, regardless of state. Active US Army and the Army Reserve always maintain their type and numerical designator when they are redesignated. When these elements change, the unit's lineage and honors is swapped out for another appropriate unit's lineage and honors, and the unit's heraldry is also changed. In the Army National Guard units can be redesignated in almost any way without any change to the unit's overall history or lineage an honors, while maintaining the same heraldry. Also, though separate, the lineage and honors for the 116th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 29th Infantry Division is intertwined with that of the 116th Infantry Regiment. The 116th Infantry Regiment traces its history back to 1741.

The Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 116th Infantry Brigade Combat Team traces its lineage and honors to the West Augusta Guard, a volunteer company in the 32nd Regiment. This unit was organized on 17 March 1858 in the Virginia Militia at Staunton, Virginia. It was assigned on 13 April 1861 to the 5th Regiment, Virginia Volunteers. It mustered into Confederate States service on 1 July 1861 as Company L, 5th Virginia Infantry. It surrendered on 9 April 1865 at Appomattox Court House, Virginia.

The unit was reorganized on 19 February 1874 in the Virginia Volunteers at Staunton as the West Augusta Guard. It was redesignated on 2 May 1881 as Company B, 2nd Regiment of Infantry. This unit was disbanded on 17 October 1885 at Staunton.

The unit was reorganized on 27 April 1892 in the Virginia Volunteers at Staunton, Virignia as Company K, 2nd Regiment of Infantry. It mustered into federal service on 13 May 1898 at Richmond, Virignia as Company K, 2nd Virginia Volunteer Infantry. It mustered out of federal service on 14 December 1898 at Staunton, Virignia. The unit was reorganized on 12 September 1899 at Staunton, Virginia as the West Augusta Guard.

The unit was redesignated on 1 October 1900 as Company K, 70th Infantry. It was again redesignated on 1 September 1908 as Company K, 1st Infantry. The Virginia Volunteers were redesignated 3 June 1916 as the Virginia National Guard, to which the unit remained assigned. The unit mustered into federal service on 30 June 1916 at Richmond, Virginia and mustered out there on 16 January 1917. It was again mustered into federal service on 1 August 1917 and drafted into federal service on 5 August 1917.

The unit was consolidated on 4 October 1917 with Company I, 1st Infantry, and Headquarters Company, 1st Infantry (first organized on 6 April 1917 at Staunton). Company I, 1st Infantry was first organized on 2 July 1901 in the Virginia Volunteers at Staunton as the Staunton Rifles. It was redesignated on 19 May 1905 as Company A, 72nd Infantry and again on 1 September 1908 as Company A, 2nd Infantry. The unit was redesignated as Company I, 1st Infantry on 2 April 1913. That unit mustered into federal service on 30 June 1916 at Richmond, Virignia and mustered out there on 16 January 1917. It mustered again into federal service on 3 August 1917 at Staunton, Virginia, before being drafted into federal service on 5 August 1917, and subsequently being consolidated. The consolidated unit was reorganized and redesignated as part of Company A, 116th Infantry, an element of the 29th Division. This unit was demobilized on 30 May 1919 at Camp Lee, Virginia.

Company A, 116th Infantry was consolidated on 30 November 1920 with the Valley Riflemen (first organized on 23 August 1918 in the Virginia Volunteers at Staunton, Virignia and disbanded there on 11 March 1920) and the former Machine Gun Company, 2nd Infantry. The Machien Gun Company, 2nd Infantry was first organized on 28 June 1916 in the Virginia National Guard at Staunton, Virignia. It mustered into federal service on 30 June 1916 at Richmond, Virignia and mustered out there on 28 February 1917. It mustered again into federal service on 2 April 1917 at Staunton, Virignia, before being drafted into federal service on 5 August 1917. It was reorganized and redesignated on 4 October 1917 as part of the Machine Gun Company, 116th Infantry, an element of the 29th Division and demobilized entirely on 30 May 1919 at Camp Lee, Virginia, before being consolidated. The consolidated unit was reorganized and federally recognized in the Virginia National Guard at Staunton, Virignia as the 1st Company, 2nd Provisional Regiment.

1st Company, 2nd Provisional Regiment was redesignated on 1 April 1921 as Company A, 2nd Provisional Regiment. It was redesignated again on 12 October 1921 as Company L, 2nd Infantry and on 9 March 1922 as Company L, 116th Infantry, an element of the 29th Division. The 29th Division later became the 29th Infantry Division.

The unit was inducted into federal service on 3 February 1941 at Staunton, Virignia. During the Second World War, the unit participated in 4 campaigns: Normandy (with arrowhead indicating participation in the initial assault), Northern France, Rhineland, and Central Europe. The unit was inactivated on 6 January 1946 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey after returning from Europe. It was subsequently reorganized and federally recognized again on 5 March 1947 at Staunton, Virginia.

The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 June 1959 as Company B, 2nd Battle Group, 116th Infantry and again on 22 March 1963 as Company B, 2nd Battalion, 116th Infantry. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 February 1968 as part of the 28th Administration Company, an element of the 28th Infantry Division.

The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 December 1971 as Detachment 3, 28th Adjutant General Company, an element of the 28th Infantry Division. It was relieved on 1 April 1975 from assignment to the 28th Infantry Division. It was concurrently consolidated with Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 116th Brigade, 28th Infantry Division. Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 116th Brigade, 28th Infantry Division ahd been organized and federally recognized on 10 September 1956 in the Virginia Army National Guard at Staunton, Virignia as Headquarters Company, 116th Infantry, an element of the 29th Infantry Division. It had been consolidated on 1 June 1959 with the Tank Company, 116th Infantry (first organized and federally recognized on 1 October 1952 at Lexington, Virginia) and the consolidated unit was reorganized and redesignated as Company D, 2nd Battle Group, 116th Infantry. It was reorganized and redesignated on 22 March 1963 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2nd Brigade, 29th Infantry Division and again on 1 February 1968 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 116th Brigade, 28th Infantry Division, before being consolidated. The consolidated unit was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 116th Infantry Brigade (Separate).

On 26 May 1978, the 116th Infantry Brigade (Separate) was authorized its own shoulder sleeve insignia, consisting most notably of a a gray silhouette representative of the Stonewall Jackson Monument at Manassas Battlefield Park, Virginia, on a blue background. The 116th Infantry Brigade (Separate) was reorganized and redesignated on 1 May 1986 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Brigade, 29th Infantry Division, following the decision to reactivate the 29th Infantry Division. This unit wore the shoulder sleeve insignia of the 29th Infantry Division.

In early 2006, the 29th Infantry Division began its transformation to the US Army's modular force structure. As part of this transformation, the 1st Brigade, 29th Infantry was redesignated as the 116th Brigade Combat Team, 29th Infantry Division. Initially, the unit was to have remained designated as a brigade of the 29th Infantry Division. Virginia's leaders at the time, however, decided instead to designate the unit the 116th Brigade Combat Team and bring back the shoulder sleeve insignia of the 116th Infantry Brigade (Separate), the famed "Stonewall Brigade." This decision proved to be complicated and lasted for only a short period in practice. The unit continue to wear the old 29th Infantry Division shoulder sleeve patch and the patch originally created for the 116th Infantry Brigade (Separate) was officially cancelled effective 1 April 2007, when the 116th Brigade Combat Team was formally assigned to the 29th Infantry Division.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list