RAF Wyton dates to the First World War, where from 1916 on the present site men of the Royal Flying Corps trained. The present airfield dates from 1935, when during the expansion of the RAF, a number of modern airfields were built to the standards of the period. Many well known types of aircraft have operated from Wyton, including the Bristol Blenheim. In 1942, Mosquito's of 109 squadron used Oboe from here. The Pathfinder force was established within 3 Group in August 1942 and Lancaster's of 83 Squadron moved in as the Stirlings moved on to Bourn. After the war, Lancasters were still here, also Lincolns until 1951.
In the early 1950s the main runway was lengthened and strengthened, and became the home of the Strategic Reconnaissance Force. This used Lancasters, Mosquitoes, and numerous types of Canberra. Other types were used for training, like Meteors and Provosts.
A total of 11 Valiant B(PR) Mk.1 reconnaisance variants were produced. These could carry up to eight cameras in the bomb bay instead of a bomb load. The first deliveries of these were to the newly formed 543 Squadron at RAF Wyton in June 1955, and in November 1955 the final Valiant B(PR) 1's of 543 Squadron arrived. . Once Valiant B.1 and Valiant B(PR).1 production finished, another variant was produced, the Valiant B(PR)K.1
Victor B(SR)2's replaced the Valiants at the end of September 1964. The V bombers also had a strategic role and there was provision made for nuclear weapons at Wyton. The old WW2 weapons store was modified for the nuclear weapons, but a proper weapon store was not built here, since this was not one of the main nuclear bases. Operational readiness platforms for V bomber were at the end of the runway.
Wyton now houses only the trainers of the Cambridge University Air Squadron and some club flying. No RAF Flying takes place here now. The main purpose of the surviving buildings and the new buildings put up in recent years is the Logistic supply of the RAF.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|