RAF North Luffenham
Thor was deployed at four main bases: Driffield, Hemswell, Feltwell and North Luffenham. Surrounding each main base were four satellite stations, with missiles deployed at each location in groups of three.
This hilltop site lay between the villages of Edith Weston in the west and Ketton in the east. North Luffenham village was at the southern end of the airfield. It was chosen for development into a bomber airfield and work started in 1940, to be completed in December. In June 1943 the airfield closed for reconstruction work and remained inactive until March 1944. The airfield now had three concrete runways, one main and two intersecting ones, with an encircling perimeter track.
After the war the station began to run down and in September 1945 the airfield was opened for the first time to the general public. The following month, on October 28th, No.1653 HCU moved out to Lindholme. This unit was replaced with the return of No.21 HGCU that arrived from Elsham Wolds in December 1946 to be disbanded at the end of the year.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|