Breighton Airfield is located north of Howden on the west side of the B1228 road, sign posted from the village of Bubwith. RAF Breighton opened in 1942 as part of 1 Group Bomber Command as a satellite for RAF Holme-on-Spalding Moor. 460 Squadron RAAF were the first residents, with their Wellington bombers. Later that year, their Wellingtons were replaced by Roy Chadwick's legendary Avro Lancaster. In 1943 the illustrious 460 Squadron moved to RAF Binbrook in Lincolnshire and Breighton was transferred to 4 Group Bomber Command, 78 Squadron moving in from RAF Linton-on-Ouse with their Halifax bombers. After hostilities had ended, 78 Sqd. transferred to Transport Command on Halifax VI's and eventually Dakotas before moving out to Egypt. Breighton became an MU (bomb storage facility) before being cleared and placed on Care and Maintenance.
In 1959, it reopened as a Thor IRBM unit and Bloodhound Anti-Aircraft Missile base but these had disbanded by the mid-sixties.
Today, much of the old airfield infrastructure is still evident, including sections of the runways and a hangar. A small corner of the airfield also houses a growing collection of airworthy warbird and classic light aircraft and is operated by The Real Aeroplane Company. The airfield/museum is open to the public during summer weekends and is well worth a visit, facilities include car park, snack bar, toilets and a souvenir stall.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|