UNITED24 - Make a charitable donation in support of Ukraine!

Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)


Dzerzhinsk

Dzerzhinsk serves as the largest center of Russia's chemical industry. Located in the Nizhny Novgorod area, the town of Dzerzhinsk was one of Russia's main chemical weapons producers.

The Kaprolactam [Caprolaktam] Organic Glass Factory began producing prussic acid, phosgene, yperite, and lewisite in 1941 at the Kaprolactam [Caprolaktam] Organic Glass Factory. The production of chemical wepons at Dzerzhinsk was halted in 1945, at which point some of hte toxic material was transferred to special storage depots. Waste containing large amounts of lewisite were disposed of through burial on the site of the Kaprolactam works.

By 1994, the facility responsible for producing yperite was the first to be fully dismantled. As of early 1998, the lewisite facility had been only partially dismantled.

The Kaprolactam Joint-stock company has reconverted itself into the production of chemical equipment and associated spare parts, hydrochloric acid, ethylene oxide, polymer pellicle, washing means, and other plastic products. The company is affiliated with the NORSI (Nizhny Novgorod Orgsintes) Orgsteclo industrial chain.

Wella AG, a personal care products company from German, has invested more than $15 million, as part of a joint-venture with Kaprolactam, into a manufacturing facility.

Sources and Methods

  • Dzerzhinsk Chemical Plant Workers Call for Better Pensions : FBIS-TAC-97-119 : 29 Apr 1997
  • Russian Chemical Weapons Sites Undergo Foreign Inspection : FBIS-TAC-98-068 : 9 Mar 1998



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



 
Page last modified: 24-07-2011 04:47:34 ZULU