Falling Behind: International Scrutiny of the Peaceful Atom
Edited by Mr. Henry D. Sokolski.
If possible, it would be useful to enhance the International Atomic Energy Agency’s (IAEA) ability to detect and prevent nuclear diversions. This would not only reduce the current risk of nuclear proliferation, it would make the further expansion of nuclear power much less risky. The question is what is possible? To date, little has been attempted to answer this basic question. Periodic reports by the U.S. Government Accountability Office and the IAEA have highlighted budgetary, personnel, and and administrative challenges that are facing the agency. There also has been a 2-year internal IAEA review of how existing IAEA safeguards procedures might be improved. None of these assessments, however, has tackled the more fundamental question of how well the IAEA is actually doing in achieving its nuclear material accountancy mission.
Part I: Introduction and Overview
1. Assessing the IAEA’s Ability to Verify the NPT
Henry D. Sokolski
Part II: New IAEA Inspections Possibilities
2. Can We Track Source Materials Better─Do We Need To?
3. Novel Technologies for the Detection of Undeclared Nuclear Activities
Nikolai Khlebnikov, Davide Parise, and Julian Whichello
4. Wide Area Environmental Sampling in Iran
Part III: Safeguards Limits and Premises
5. Can Nuclear Fuel Production in Iran and Elsewhere Be Safeguarded against Diversion?
Edwin S. Lyman
6. Adequacy of IAEA’s Safeguards for Achieving Timely Detection
Thomas B. Cochran
7. Managing Spent Fuel in the United States: The Illogic of Reprocessing
Frank von Hippel
8. The NPT, IAEA Safeguards and Peaceful Nuclear Energy: An “Inalienable Right,” but Precisely To What?
Part IV: The Agency’s Authority
9. The Nuclear Non-proliferation Regime: Avoiding the Void
10. The U.S.-India Civil Nuclear Cooperation Initiative: The Question of Safeguards
11. Financing IAEA Verification of the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty
Thomas E. Shea
About the Contributors
Access Full Report [PDF]: Falling Behind: International Scrutiny of the Peaceful Atom
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|