ABCA allies--American, British, Canadian, and Australian allies
- active defense measures--
ADA--air defense artillery
- air-ground correlation factor (AGCF)--
- the ratio of a dose-rate reading taken at survey height to a ground dose rate taken one meter above the surface.
APC--armored personnel carrier
ARR--aerial radiological recon
AWS--Air Weather Service
CFA--covering force area
cGyph--centigray per hour
- amount of radiation received at any given time.
- dose rate--
- amount of radiation emitted from a single source at a specific time.
- electromagnetic pulse (EMP)--
- a nonuniform electric field resulting from a nuclear explosion, causing the emission of energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation.
FDC--fire direction center
FEBA--forward edge of the battle area
FLOT--forward line of troops
FOMET--fallout meteorological message
FSE--fire support element
FSOP--field standing operating procedures
GMT--Greenwich mean time
GRR--ground radiological recon
- the thickness of any material that reduces the dose rate of gamma radiation to one-half its unshielded value.
- host nation. Allied nation in which US forces are operating.
METT-T--mission, enemy, terrain, troops, and time available
- million electron volts. Used to measure energy levels of radiation.
- minimum safe distance--
- distance corresponding to a degree of protection needed to remain in the area.
MSD--minimum safe distance
NATO--North Atlantic Treaty Organization
NAV EDM--US naval effective downwind message
NBC--nuclear, biological, and/or chemical
NBCWRS--NBC Warning and Reporting System
NIGA--neutron-induced gamma activity
OCF--overall correlation factor
OEG--operational exposure guidance
- passive defense measures--
- measures taken to reduce possibilities of (or effects of) NBC attack
POW--prisoner of war
RES--radiation exposure status
Rtb--tumback dose rate
RADIAC--radiation detection, identification, and computation
- see washout
SALUTE--size, activity, location, unit, time, equipment
- protection from gamma rays and Xrays by use of dense materials such as metal, concrete, or certain soils.
SOP--standing operating procedures
- warning of a friendly force's nuclear strike
TARR--time of arrival
Tcomp--time of completion
TOB--time of burst
- total dose--
- total amount of radiation received
Tp--projected in time (time of validity)
- transmission factor--
- measure of the degree of shielding afforded by a structure, vehicle, fortification, or a set of specified shielding conditions.
TREE--transient radiation effects on electronics
- universal transverse mercator--
- meridians and parallels of latitudes appearing as lines crossing at right angles.
USMC--US Marine Corps
USMTF--US message text format
UTM--universal transverse mercator
VCF--vehicle correlation factor
- the removal of radiological fallout particles from the air by percipitation passing through the radiation (cloud).
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list