Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2022 - United States Special Weapons News
- U.S. Says Non-Proliferation Treaty Strong Despite Russia's 'Cynical Obstructionism' RFE/RL 28 Aug 2022 -- The United States said the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) remains strong despite Russia's "cynical obstructionism" after Moscow blocked the adoption of the final document of a monthlong review of the UN pact, complaining it was "blatantly political in nature."
- Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Remains Strong Despite Russian Obstructionism US Dept. of State 28 Aug 2022 -- After weeks of intensive but productive negotiations, the Russian Federation alone decided to block consensus on a final document at the conclusion of the Tenth Review Conference of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).
- US carries out long-range nuclear missile test after Chinese drills amid Taiwan tensions Press TV 17 Aug 2022 -- As the US and China are locked in tension over a host of major issues in particular Taiwan, Washington says it carried out an intercontinental ballistic missile test to show "the readiness of US nuclear forces."
- UNARMED MINUTEMAN III TEST LAUNCH FROM VANDENBERG Vanderberg SFB 16 Aug 2022 -- An operational test launch of an Air Force Global Strike Command unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile launched from Vandenberg Space Force Base Tuesday, Aug. 16, at 12:49 a.m. PT.
- United States Hosts Proliferation Security Initiative Exercise Fortune Guard 22 US Dept. of State 08 Aug 2022 -- The United States will host Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI) Exercise Fortune Guard 22 on August 8-12, 2022, in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- DOD Committed to Reducing Risk of Nuclear War, Says Official DoD News 05 Aug 2022 -- The Defense Department would like nothing better than the total elimination of all nuclear weapons worldwide, the undersecretary of defense for policy said.
- US Postpones Missile Tests to Lower Tensions with China on Taiwan VOA 04 Aug 2022 -- The White House announced a series of steps aimed to defend a "free and open Indo-Pacific" following Chinese firing of at least 11 ballistic missiles into waters encircling Taiwan on Thursday, a day after U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi wrapped up a visit to the island that enraged Beijing.
- US Reportedly Delaying Minuteman III Missile Test Amid Taiwan Tensions Sputnik 04 Aug 2022 -- The United States is delaying routine Minuteman III missile test launches to avoid further provoking tensions with China following US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's contentious trip to Taiwan, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.
- Biden Says US Ready to Negotiate With Russia on Replacement for START Strategic Arms Control Treaty Sputnik 01 Aug 2022 -- The US president insisted that Russia should now demonstrate readiness to cooperate with Washington in the sphere of nuclear arms control.
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken at a Press Availability US Dept. of State 01 Aug 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken's Remarks to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Review Conference US Dept. of State 01 Aug 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken Before His Meeting with Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) Non-Nuclear States Parties on the Margins of the NPT Review Conference US Dept. of State 01 Aug 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Non-Nuclear Weapons States Parties on the Sidelines of the NPT Review Conference US Dept. of State 01 Aug 2022
- President Biden Statement Ahead of the 10th Review Conference of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons The White House 01 Aug 2022
- Ministerial Statement of the French Republic, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and the United States of America US Dept. of State 01 Aug 2022 -- For more than fifty years, the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) has been an irreplaceable and vital component of a global rules-based order. We reaffirm the NPT as the cornerstone of the nuclear nonproliferation regime and as the foundation for the pursuit of nuclear disarmament and peaceful uses of nuclear technology. We recall our enduring efforts to reduce nuclear risks in furtherance of our nuclear disarmament obligations under Article VI of the NPT.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list