Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2021 - United States Special Weapons News
- Russian president signs law extending New START nuclear treaty with US Press TV 29 Jan 2021 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a law extending the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START), the last standing nuclear arms control agreement between Russia and the US, which the ex-American administration failed to extend.
- Putin Signs Bill Extending New START Nuclear Arms-Control Treaty RFE/RL 29 Jan 2021 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a bill approving the extension of the New START nuclear arms-control treaty.
- President Putin Signs Document Extending New START for 5 Years Sputnik 29 Jan 2021 -- On Wednesday, Russia and the US agreed to prolong the New START arms reduction deal by five years, mere days before it was due to expire.
- U.S.-Russia Arms-Treaty Agreement Is 'Reason For Optimism' About Opening Dialogue, Envoy Says RFE/RL 28 Jan 2021 -- Russia hopes the extension of the last remaining U.S.-Russian arms-control treaty will give a new boost to restarting a strategic dialogue between Moscow and Washington, Russia's deputy UN ambassador has said.
- US agrees to extend major arms treaty, Russia says Press TV 27 Jan 2021 -- Russia says the United States has agreed to extend the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START), the last bilateral agreement verifiably and transparently limiting the world's two largest nuclear arsenals, which the former US administration was unwilling to extend.
- Russian Lawmakers Approve Extension Of Key Nuke Pact With U.S. RFE/RL 27 Jan 2021 -- Russia has approved an extension of the New START nuclear arms control treaty as Moscow and Washington look to save the last major pact of its kind.
- Putin Urges Russian Foreign Ministry to Discuss Document on New START Extension With US Sputnik 27 Jan 2021 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has tasked the Foreign Ministry with holding negotiations with the United States on signing a document to extend the nuclear arms reduction treaty New START, which expires on 5 February.
- COVID-19 variant up to 30% more deadly than original, says UK government People's Daily 23 Jan 2021 -- The variant of COVID-19 first discovered in the UK is up to 30 percent more deadly than the original strain, the government's chief scientific advisor Patrick Vallance revealed on Friday.
- NATO welcomes US intention to extend New START with Russia Global Times 23 Jan 2021 -- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) on Friday welcomed US President Joe Biden's newly announced intention to extend by five years a bilateral treaty with Russia on the reduction and limitation of strategic offensive arms.
- Russia Welcomes U.S. Call To Extend New START Nuclear Treaty But Wants Details RFE/RL 22 Jan 2021 -- Russia has welcomed U.S. President Joe Biden's proposal to extend the New START arms control treaty, but said it needs to see concrete proposals from the American side.
- Kremlin Welcomes US Political Will to Extend New START Sputnik 22 Jan 2021 -- The Kremlin welcomes Washington's political will to extend the New START deal, but believes that everything depends on the details of the proposal that are still unclear, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Friday.
- Moscow Welcomes US Plan to Extend Nuclear Arms Treaty VOA 22 Jan 2021 -- Russia has welcomed the Biden administration's announcement it is seeking a five-year extension of the New START arms control treaty, set to expire February 5, though the Kremlin says it will await to see the details.
- Statement by John Kirby, Pentagon Press Secretary, on New START DoD 21 Jan 2021 -- "President Biden's decision to seek a five-year extension of New START advances the nation's defense. Russia's compliance with the treaty has served our national security interests well, and Americans are much safer with New START intact and extended."
- Biden seeks 5-year extension of New START arms treaty with Russia: Sources Press TV 21 Jan 2021 -- US President Joe Biden plans to extend a key nuclear arms control treaty between the United States and Russia for another five years, according to the White House.
- White House Confirms Biden Will Seek 5-Year Extension of New START Treaty With Russia Sputnik 21 Jan 2021 -- The only nuclear arms control regime in effect between the two countries expires on February 5, but can be prolonged for another half a decade.
- US to Offer Russia 5-year Extension on Nuclear Treaty VOA 21 Jan 2021 -- The new administration of U.S. President Joe Biden is planning to offer Russia a five-year extension of a nuclear arms treaty that is set to expire February 5, U.S. officials said Thursday.
- Press release on the future of New START Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 20 Jan 2021 -- When it comes to arms control, the previous US administration worked consistently and systematically to destroy the agreements which prevented Washington from arbitrarily building up, projecting and using military force and which it saw as an obstacle on its way to "victory" in the "great power rivalry" it itself declared.
- Pelosi, Top General Discuss Preventing Trump Military Actions VOA 08 Jan 2021 -- Amid growing concerns about what U.S. President Donald Trump might do during his last days in office, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi revealed Friday that she has asked a top Pentagon general what measures are in place to prevent the president from launching a nuclear weapons attack.
- Pelosi asks military to keep 'unhinged' Trump from nuclear codes Press TV 08 Jan 2021 -- US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has said she spoke with the country's army chief about preventing the "unstable" President Donald Trump from initiating military hostilities or ordering a nuclear attack.
- Pentagon Defends $265 Bln ICBM-Replacement Programme Amid Reports of Possible Biden Review Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- The United States is in the middle of a $1.5 trillion programme to upgrade its nuclear arsenal. The programme started under President Barack Obama and continued in expanded form under Donald Trump, with costs continuing to grow.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list