Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2020 - United States Special Weapons News
- US stance on nuclear-test ban treaty most destructive: Russia Press TV 30 Jun 2020 -- Russia says the United States is taking a "destructive" stance over a decades-old multilateral treaty that bans all nuclear explosions by saying openly that it does not plan to ratify it.
- The Art Of The Trilateral Deal? U.S. Nuke Agreement With Russia, China Proving Difficult RFE/RL 28 Jun 2020 -- While the United States and Russia were satisfied after their jump-started nuclear talks in Vienna on June 22, Washington was clearly disappointed that China rejected its special invitation.
- US Envoy Rules Out Moratorium on Deploying Intermediate-Range Missiles Sputnik 24 Jun 2020 -- US Special Representative for Arms Control Marshall Billingslea on Wednesday ruled out the possibility of a moratorium on the deployment of intermediate-range missiles after the United States abandoned a respective treaty with Russia.
- US, Russia Signal Progress in Nuclear Arms Talks VOA 24 Jun 2020 -- U.S. and Russian negotiators signaled progress Tuesday in talks on a possible replacement to a nuclear arms reduction treaty due to expire next February. But there are significant hurdles ahead – including China's opposition to being included in the talks.
- U.S. Pushes For Broadening Of New START Treaty, Pushes For China To Join Accord RFE/RL 23 Jun 2020 -- The United States has pushed for a broadening of the main agreement to control nuclear arms with Russia as it pushes for China to join the talks.
- Submission to Congress of the "Report on Adherence to and Compliance with Arms Control, Nonproliferation, and Disarmament Agreements and Commitments" (Compliance Report) US Dept. of State 23 Jun 2020 -- The State Department has submitted to Congress the unclassified 2020 Report on Adherence to and Compliance with Arms Control, Nonproliferation, and Disarmament Agreements and Commitments, also known as the Compliance Report.
- China derides US move to place Chinese flags at empty seats in nuclear talks with Russia Press TV 23 Jun 2020 -- China says a move by the United States to place Chinese flags at a table of nuclear arms control negotiations with Russia was an act of "performance art."
- U.S., Russian Envoys End First Day Of Talks On Nuclear Arms Treaty RFE/RL 22 Jun 2020 -- The United States and Russia on June 22 opened two days of talks on their last remaining nuclear arms control, the New START treaty, which caps the number of deployed long-range nuclear warheads each can have.
- U.S., Russia To Hold Arms Talks Next Week In Move To Preserve New START RFE/RL 20 Jun 2020 -- The United States says disarmament talks between its top arms control negotiator and Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov will take place next week in Austria.
- China Again Declines To Join Arms-Control Talks With U.S., Russia RFE/RL 10 Jun 2020 -- China has reiterated its refusal to participate in three-way disarmament talks with the United States and Russia ahead of a new round of arms-control talks between Washington and Moscow scheduled for June 22 in Vienna.
- China says has no plans to join US-Russia arms control talks Press TV 09 Jun 2020 -- China says it has no plans to participate in negotiations on arms control with Russia and the United States, after being invited by Washington to take part in the talks, to be held later this month.
- China urges U.S. to honor commitment of suspending nuclear tests: spokesperson People's Daily 09 Jun 2020 -- China urges the United States to meet its due obligations and honor its commitment of suspending nuclear tests under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Monday.
- Trump Envoy: U.S., Russia To Hold Nuclear Arms Talks In June, China Invited RFE/RL 08 Jun 2020 -- The United States and Russia have agreed on a time and place for nuclear arms negotiations this month and invited China, President Donald Trump's arms negotiator says.
- F-15E Becomes First Aircraft Compatible With US' Nuclear Gravity Bomb - Sandia Sputnik 08 Jun 2020 -- The F-15E Strike Eagle has become the first aircraft to demonstrate compatibility with the B61-12 nuclear gravity bomb, following a series of flight tests that reportedly met Washington's performance and safety standards.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list