Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2020 - United States Special Weapons News
- Russia Cannot Rule Out Washington's Potential Withdrawal from Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Sputnik 28 May 2020 -- The Washington Post has reported, citing sources, that the US Administration is discussing the possibility of the US conducting its first nuclear test since 1992.
- US to conduct nuclear test 'within months' if Trump orders: Pentagon Press TV 28 May 2020 -- A senior Pentagon official says the US could carry out a live nuclear test "within months" if President Donald Trump orders it.
- Official Says Pentagon Could 'Rapidly' Prepare New Nuke Test as US Exits Open Skies Treaty Sputnik 27 May 2020 -- As the US exits a key, confidence-building international treaty, a top Pentagon official has stated the US is capable of preparing a nuclear weapons test in just "months," if necessary.
- US Should Not Hope to Get Open Skies Treaty Data After Pullout - Russian Foreign Ministry Sputnik 26 May 2020 -- The United States should not hope that they will receive data on the Open Skies Treaty after exiting it, but not-parties to the agreement may partially compensate it with satellite surveying, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.
- Russia's Ryabkov Mocks Pompeo Claim That Moscow Uses Open Skies Treaty to Identify Targets Sputnik 24 May 2020 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov on Saturday rejected as ludicrous the allegation by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo that Moscow used the Open Skies Treaty to target critical infrastructure in the United States and Europe.
- US discussed conducting its first nuclear test explosion since 1992: Report Press TV 23 May 2020 -- The United States is planning to conduct a nuclear test as the Trump administration backtracks on US treaties to reduce nuclear arms, reigniting a dangerous and new Cold War.
- Report: U.S. Officials Discussed Conducting First Nuke Test In Decades RFE/RL 23 May 2020 -- The Washington Post has reported that officials in U.S. President Donald Trump's administration discussed whether to conduct the country's first nuclear test explosion since 1992.
- Trump Administration Discussed Possibility of Nuclear Test, First Time Since 1992, Report Claims Sputnik 23 May 2020 -- The report emerged as the United States expressed a desire to include China in the New START treaty and hopes of entering into "good faith" negotiations with Russia to discuss the establishment of a new arms countrol regime.
- Lawmakers demand explanation for Trump's 'illegal' withdrawal from Open Skies Treaty Press TV 23 May 2020 -- Two US House of Representatives committee lawmakers are demanding an explanation from the Trump administration over the president's planned withdrawal from the Open Skies Treaty.
- Foreign Ministry statement on the US decision to withdraw from the Open Skies Treaty Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 22 May 2020 -- US senior government officials - President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Michael Pompeo - have announced a decision to withdraw from the Open Skies Treaty. This decision is a deplorable development for European security.
- Russia censures US for planning to withdraw from Open Skies Treaty Press TV 22 May 2020 -- Russia says a planned move by the United States to withdraw from a major international treaty on unarmed surveillance flights would undermine global security.
- Russia Accuses U.S. Of Undermining Security With Open Skies Treaty Move RFE/RL 22 May 2020 -- A top Russian diplomat has accused the United States of seeking to undermine international security after President Donald Trump gave notice on withdrawing from the Open Skies treaty, citing what U.S. officials said were repeated Russian violations.
- Russia Rejects 'Ultimatum' After US Move to Quit Open Skies Treaty Sputnik 22 May 2020 -- Russia will not accept any ultimatums and is determined to engage in dialogue based on equal terms, the Foreign Ministry warned Friday, after the United States said it will exit the Open Skies Treaty.
- US Ready for 'Good Faith' Negotiations on New START Treaty With Russia, O'Brien Says Sputnik 22 May 2020 -- National Security Adviser Robert O'Brien's statement follows an announcement by US President Donald Trump on the country's plans to withdraw from the Open Skies Treaty, a multilateral international agreement comprising 34 nations, facilitating transparency and bolstering security in Europe.
- White House Official: Trump To Seek Extension Of New START Arms Treaty With Russia RFE/RL 22 May 2020 -- A top U.S. official said President Donald Trump was expected to seek an extension of the New START treaty with Russia, a major nuclear arms agreement set to expire next year.
- US Officially Notifies Russia of Its Withdrawal From Open Skies Treaty Sputnik 22 May 2020 -- The day before, US President Donald Trump said that he had a good relationship with Russia but Moscow did not adhere to the Open Skies Treaty allowing unarmed surveillance flights over member countries.
- U.S. says pulling out of Treaty on Open Skies People's Daily 22 May 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday said the United States is withdrawing from the Treaty on Open Skies, the latest move to abandon a major international arms control agreement.
- DOD Statement on Open Skies Treaty Withdrawal DoD 21 May 2020 -- "Tomorrow the United States will formally submit its notification of its decision to withdraw from the Open Skies Treaty. After careful consideration, including input from Allies and key partners, it has become abundantly clear that it is no longer in the United States' best interest to remain a party to this Treaty when Russia does not uphold its commitments. U.S. obligations under the Treaty will effectively end in six months."
- On the Treaty on Open Skies US Dept. of State 21 May 2020 -- "Tomorrow, the United States will submit notice of its decision to withdraw from the Treaty on Open Skies to the Treaty Depositaries and to all other States Parties to the Treaty. Effective six months from tomorrow, the United States will no longer be a party to the Treaty. We may, however, reconsider our withdrawal should Russia return to full compliance with the Treaty."
- Briefing with Special Presidential Envoy for Arms Control Marshall Billingslea and Assistant Secretary for International Security and Nonproliferation Dr. Christopher A. Ford On the Treaty on Open Skies US Dept. of State 21 May 2020
- US to Exit International Military Surveillance Treaty VOA 21 May 2020 -- President Donald Trump said Thursday that he was pulling the United States out of the 18-year-old international Open Skies Treaty allowing surveillance flights over other countries because Russia has been violating it.
- Trump to withdraw US from Open Skies treaty, citing Russian violation Press TV 21 May 2020 -- US President Donald Trump plans to withdraw from the Open Skies Treaty allowing unarmed surveillance flights over member countries, the Trump administration's latest move to pull the US out of a global treaty.
- U.S. To Exit Open Skies Treaty Over Russian Violations RFE/RL 21 May 2020 -- The United States has announced that it will withdraw from the Open Skies treaty because of violations of the agreement by Russia.
- Pentagon: US Will Formally Submit Notice to Withdraw From Open Skies Treaty Friday Sputnik 21 May 2020 -- The US Department of Defense (DoD) on Thursday said that the US would formally submit its request to withdraw from the Open Skies Treaty on Friday.
- Acting DNI Grenell Statement on U.S. Intent to Withdraw from Open Skies Treaty Director of National Intelligence 21 May 2020 -- Acting Director of National Intelligence Richard Grenell today issued the following statement regarding the United States formally submitting its intent to withdraw from the Open Skies Treaty
- Trump Confirms US Withdrawal From Open Skies Treaty, Says New Deal Possible Sputnik 21 May 2020 -- Earlier in the day, the New York Times reported, citing a source in the US presidential administration, that Washington plans to inform Moscow on Friday about its intention to withdraw from the Open Skies Treaty.
- US Withdrawal From Open Skies Treaty 'Distasteful, Ill-Advised' - Helsinki Commission Head Sputnik 21 May 2020 -- The Trump administration withdrawal from the Open Skies Treaty weakens transatlantic security and is otherwise ill-advised, Helsinki Commission Chairman Congressman Alcee Hastings said in a statement.
- Moscow Regrets US Reported Intention to Quit Open Skies Treaty Sputnik 21 May 2020 -- Earlier, the US accused Russia of abusing the terms of the treaty, claiming that Moscow had been unfairly limiting US flights through its airspace.
- US ready to spend Russia, China 'into oblivion' to win nukes race: US envoy Press TV 21 May 2020 -- The United States is ready to spend Russia and China "into oblivion" in order to be able to win a new nuclear arms race, President Donald Trump's arms control negotiator says.
- US Mulls Extension of New START, Seeks 'Gentleman's Agreement' With Russia, Report Claims Sputnik 21 May 2020 -- The New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START), the only agreement limiting the number of nuclear weapons in Russia and the US to remain in effect, is set to expire in 2021, as the Trump administration keeps avoiding the extension, insisting instead that China must also take part.
- Air Force reviews preliminary design for future ICBM AFNWC 15 May 2020 -- The Air Force reviewed Northrop Grumman's preliminary design for the Ground Based Strategic Deterrent in late April, advancing the program toward its next milestone and acquisition phase.
- US Approves Preliminary Design for Future Long-Range Nuclear Deterrent, Air Force Says Sputnik 15 May 2020 -- The US military approved the preliminary design of a new Northrop Grumman ground-based intercontinental ballistic missile, the Air Force said in a statement on Friday.
- U.S. opposes verification of biological weapon production: Russian FM People's Daily 14 May 2020 -- The United States categorically opposes the adoption of a protocol to the convention of banning biological and toxin weapons, which would establish a mechanism to verify compliance by member countries with their obligation not to produce such weapons, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Wednesday.
- Blue Grass Plant Completes First Munitions Destruction Campaign PEO ACWA 12 May 2020 -- The Blue Grass Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant (BGCAPP) destroyed all 8-inch projectiles containing GB nerve agent May 11. This marks the completion of the first munitions campaign for the project.
- 25th Anniversary of the Extension of the Non-Proliferation Treaty US Dept. of State 11 May 2020
- 'We'd Like to Do It': Trump Says US, Russia Looking Into Moving Ahead on Arms Control Deal Sputnik 07 May 2020 -- Following a phone call with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday, US President Donald Trump indicated the two countries are ready to discuss arms control agreements.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list