Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2019 - United States Special Weapons News
- Energy Department Statement on Plutonium Shipments to Nevada DOE 31 Jan 2019 -- The Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration (DOE/NNSA) is committed to protecting the health, safety, and security of the public at all of our sites as we conduct our important national security missions. The recent plutonium shipments to the Nevada National Security Site were undertaken to comply with an order issued by the U.S. District Court in South Carolina.
- US secretly shipped plutonium from South Carolina to Nevada Press TV 31 Jan 2019 -- The US government secretly shipped a large amount of weapons-grade plutonium from the East Coast state of South Carolina to the Western state of Nevada months ago despite the state's protests.
- US Gov't SECRETLY Shipped Deadly Plutonium to Nevada Despite State's Protests Sputnik 31 Jan 2019 -- The shocking revelation has drawn the ire of US politicians from the state of Nevada, who said that the federal government had long sought to store nuclear waste there.
- 'No Progress' In Talks On Saving Russia-U.S. Missile Pact As Deadline Looms RFE/RL 31 Jan 2019 -- Russia and Washington have failed to bridge their differences over a key Cold War-era arms control treaty at last-ditch talks in Beijing, Russian and U.S. officials say.
- 'No First Use': Lawmakers Introduce Bill to Restrain US Nuclear Capabilities Sputnik 31 Jan 2019 -- Previous US administrations were reluctant to adopt legislation that would legally bind Washington to only use its nuclear weapons in response to a nuclear attack. The new bill is likely to meet opposition as well.
- Russia, US make 'no progress' in nuclear treaty talks Press TV 31 Jan 2019 -- The United States and Russia have failed to make any progress in negotiations on a landmark Cold War-era arms control treaty, with Washington expected to go ahead with a unilateral withdrawal from the key pact this weekend, a senior Russian diplomat says.
- Russia Slams US 60-Day Ultimatum on INF Treaty as 'Game' Sputnik 31 Jan 2019 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said Thursday that Moscow would continue working toward a settlement on the disputed INF Treaty, adding that the issue would be more difficult because the 60-day deadline set by Washington is a "game aimed at covering up the decision to quit the agreement".
- Senator Warren, Chairman Smith Unveil Legislation to Establish "No-First-Use" Nuclear Weapons Policy Senator Elizabeth Warren 30 Jan 2019 -- United States Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, and Representative Adam Smith (D-Wash.), Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, today introduced the bicameral No First Use Act, to establish in law that it is the policy of the United States not to use nuclear weapons first.
- US nuclear bombs cause of concern Global Times 30 Jan 2019-- US President Donald Trump's "usable" low-yield nuclear weapons could cause misjudgments and put the world at risk of a nuclear war, experts warned Wednesday as the US began production of such nukes.
- Five Nuclear Powers Meeting In Beijing As U.S. Calls For Transparency RFE/RL 30 Jan 2019 -- The United States has called for more transparency from Russia and China regarding their nuclear programs, as diplomats from five major nuclear powers meet in Beijing.
- US Development of New Warhead Increases Risk of Nuclear War - Lavrov Sputnik 30 Jan 2019 -- The statement by the Russian Foreign Minister comes two days after the National Nuclear Security Agency announced that the US had begun manufacturing an undisclosed number of W76-2 Initial Operational Capability [IOC] warheads.
- New low-yield US nukes make nuclear conflict more likely: Lavrov Press TV 30 Jan 2019 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has warned that the United States' decision to produce a low-yield nuclear warhead will only make a nuclear war more likely.
- US plans to suspend INF nuclear arms treaty with Russia: White House Press TV 29 Jan 2019 -- The administration of US President Donald Trump is poised to suspend a landmark Cold War-era arms control treaty with Russia, a move likely to escalate already high tensions between Washington and Moscow.
- US begins production of Trump's low-yield nuclear warhead Press TV 29 Jan 2019 -- The United States has officially started to produce a new low-yield nuclear warhead following President Donald Trump's order last year to equip the Pentagon with tactical weapons that could be used in more realistic combat scenarios.
- US Begins Making Low-Yield Nuclear Warhead Ordered by Trump Admin – Nuke Agency Sputnik 28 Jan 2019 -- The United States has begun manufacturing an undisclosed number of new low-yield nuclear warheads that were created at the behest of the Trump administration, the National Nuclear Security Agency (NNSA) announced on Monday.
- US to spend $500bn on nuclear weapons upgrade over next 10 years Press TV 27 Jan 2019 -- A new US government estimate has found that Washington's plans for modernizing and maintaining the country's nuclear arsenal will cost nearly $500 billion over the next decade.
- Russia: US igniting arms race in outer space by weaponizing it Press TV 25 Jan 2019 -- Russia has warned that the United States' new space missile program would weaponize outer space and ignite an arms race there.
- Moscow Once Again Urges US to Abandon Plans to Resurrect 'Star Wars' Programme Sputnik 25 Jan 2019 -- Earlier on Friday, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has held a press conference after the meeting of the Russia-NATO Council. The meeting focused on the fate of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF Treaty) in light of Washington's decision to withdraw from the agreement.
- Missile Pact In Danger, NATO Chief Says After Russia Talks RFE/RL 25 Jan 2019 -- A meeting between NATO and Russian envoys has failed to resolve a dispute over a new Russian cruise missile that the alliance says is a threat to Europe, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said on January 25.
- Russia to Express Concern Over US Arms Violating INF Treaty During Friday Talks Sputnik 25 Jan 2019 -- Russia will express its concern over the US weapons violating the Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF Treaty) during the Friday meeting of the NATO-Russia Council in Brussels, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov told reporters.
- US Completes 20-Year-Long Naval Nuclear Warhead Overhaul Sputnik 24 Jan 2019 -- The US has completed a two-decade-long project to refurbish and update the W76 nuclear warhead in use on US Navy submarine-launched ballistic missiles, the US Department of Energy (DOE) announced Wednesday. However, the larger problem of its Trident missile delivery system remains.
- US Upgrade of Nuclear Forces to Cost More Than Expected Sputnik 24 Jan 2019 -- The Trump administration's plans to accelerate the modernization of US nuclear forces over the next 10 years will likely cost around $494 billion, a full $94 billion more than previously expected, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) said in an estimate released on Thursday.
- DOE AND NNSA Celebrate W76-1 Life Extension Program DOE 23 Jan 2019 -- Two decades of enterprise-wide collaboration leads to successfully extending the life of the W76 warhead for the U.S. Navy under budget and ahead of schedule
- German Foreign Minister Urges Russia To Save INF Treaty RFE/RL 18 Jan 2019 -- German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas has urged Russia to help prevent a new arms race by saving a key arms treaty with the United States.
- Russia Accuses US of Creating Medium and Short-Range Missiles, INF Fate in Limbo Sputnik 18 Jan 2019 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his German counterpart Heiko Maas discussed the future of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty, the situation in Syria and the Nord Stream 2 project at a joint press conference in Moscow.
- U.S. Says 'No New Ground Broken' With Russia On Missile Treaty Impasse RFE/RL 17 Jan 2019 -- The United States has rejected a Russian proposal on saving a key Cold War arms control treaty because the pact cannot be properly verified.
- US Failed to Provide Proof for Claims of Russian Missile Violating INF - Moscow Sputnik 17 Jan 2019 -- The United States has not provided Russia with specific proof to substantiate its claims that the ground-launched SSC-8 cruise missile (Russian designation 9M729) violated the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF), Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov told Sputnik Thursday.
- US Official Announces Start Date for American Withdrawal Process From INF Treaty Sputnik 16 Jan 2019 -- The US called the latest round of negotiations aimed at preserving the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty "disappointing". At the same time, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov slammed the US for ignoring Moscow's "constructive proposals" and sticking to its own "prepared position that was based on an ultimatum".
- Lavrov Says U.S. Out To Torpedo 'Strategic Stability,' Maintains Hard Line In Kuriles Dispute RFE/RL 16 Jan 2019 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has accused the United States of seeking to dismantle the system of weapons pacts and said that Moscow is willing to continue trying to preserve the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty.
- US 'fully' responsible if INF collapses, Russia says Press TV 15 Jan 2019 -- Moscow has blamed Washington for the looming collapse of a key nuclear arms control deal after consultations between the two sides made no progress to reach an accord to save the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF).
- Russia, US: No Progress in Talks Over 1987 Nuclear Arms Treaty VOA 15 Jan 2019 -- Russia and the United States said Tuesday there was no progress in talks over Washington's intention to withdraw from a 1987 nuclear arms treaty because it says Moscow is violating its terms.
- Russia In 'Material Breach' Of Key Nuclear Treaty, U.S. Says RFE/RL 15 Jan 2019 -- Russia remains "in material breach" of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty, the United States has said after a new round of bilateral talks ended with no progress.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list