Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2017 - United States Special Weapons News
- Trump admin. drawing new plans to bolster US nuclear arsenal: Report Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- The administration of US President Donald Trump is working on a new nuclear weapons policy that would end the post-Cold War disarmament and allow Washington to expand its arsenal, new reports suggest.
- Pentagon Shoots Down Reports of 24-Hour Nuke Alert Sputnik 24 Oct 2017 -- A Defense Department official on Monday denied reports that preparations are underway to put B-52 nuclear bombers on 24-hour alert.
- US preparing to put nuclear bombers back on 24-hour alert: Report Press TV 23 Oct 2017 -- The US Air Force is preparing to place its fleet of B-52 bombers rigged with nuclear weapons on 24-hour alert for the first time since 1991 amid escalating tensions with North Korea.
- Cold War Revisited: US Reportedly Preparing to Put B-52 Bombers on 24-Hour Alert Sputnik 23 Oct 2017 -- The US Air Force could put its B-52 bombers back on 24-hour alert, Defense One reported citing the USAF chief of staff. The report emerged amid the ongoing tensions over North Korea's nuclear and missile program.
- Russia tells US to remove nuclear weapons from Europe Press TV 20 Oct 2017 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has called on Washington to remove its nuclear weapons deployed in Europe.
- Russia urges US to destroy chemical weapons Press TV 18 Oct 2017 -- After destroying the remainder of its chemical weapons in September, Russia is now calling on the United States and other countries in possession of such weapons to immediately "follow suit" and do away with their stockpiles.
- Missile Security Forces modify operations, increase lethality, readiness AFNS 12 Oct 2017 -- Twentieth Air Force's three missile wings restructured their security forces groups Oct. 6, 2017, and implemented the Missile Security Operating Concept, significantly changing missile field security operations and addressing areas for improvement in defender culture.
- Trump Rejects Claim He Wanted Big Nuclear Expansion VOA 11 Oct 2017 -- President Donald Trump on Wednesday rejected as "pure fiction" an NBC News report that a few months ago he suggested a tenfold increase in the U.S. nuclear arsenal, and questioned whether it was time to revoke the network's government license to operate.
- Fake Nukes? Trump Denies Calling for 'Tenfold' Increase in Atomic Arsenal Sputnik 11 Oct 2017 -- NBC News has reported that US President Donald Trump said he wanted a "tenfold" increase in the US' nuclear arsenal during a July national security meeting. Trump has denied the story, calling it "pure fiction," and threatened to pursue revoking NBC's license to broadcast.
- AF awards contracts for next-generation ICBM airborne launch control system AFNS 05 Oct 2017 -- The Air Force awarded two contracts Oct. 3, 2017, for upgrading the system that enables an aircraft to control an intercontinental ballistic missile's launch from a silo in the ground.
- Minuteman III receives upgrade AFNS 02 Oct 2017 -- As part of move to further modernize the nuclear enterprise, Airmen from the 91st Missile Wing at Minot Air Force Base recently implemented a $68 million upgrade to the LGM-30G Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile.
First used on June 23, 2017, this new device – known as the Data Transfer Unit, was designed to replace the legacy Cartridge Tape Unit and Launch Facility Load Cartridge systems.
- Hyten: U.S. Strategic Command is Reorganizing for 21st Century Warfighting AFPS 02 Oct 2017 -- The commander of U.S. Strategic Command is reorganizing to improve its warfighting structure.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list