Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2011 - United States Special Weapons News
- Minuteman III test launch terminated due to anomaly AFNS 28 Jul 2011 -- Air Force controllers conducted a Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile test launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base.
- Minuteman III destroyed during test launch AFNS 27 Jul 2011 -- An unarmed operational test Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile was destroyed by Vandenberg's Western Range officials July 27.
- Enduring cultural change underpins Global Strike Command mission AFPS 27 Jul 2011 -- Air Force Global Strike Command's top leader discussed the command's relevance and the need for cultural restoration.
- ATK Selected as a Major Subcontractor for Intermediate-Range Ballistic Missile Target Rockets ATK 26 Jul 2011 -- ATK (NYSE: ATK) has received a $48 million major subcontractor award from Orbital Sciences Corporation (NYSE: ORB) to provide commercial solid rocket motors for the Missile Defense Agency (MDA) Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile (IRBM) target rocket program. With follow-on options ATK believes the contract has a potential value of up to $90 million. Orbital is the prime contractor for the IRBM program.
- Russia, U.S. to hold nuclear security drills in August RIA Novosti 26 Jul 2011 -- Russia and the United States will hold joint nuclear security drills under the auspices of the bilateral military cooperation committee.
- Air Force, Navy team up for 21st Century fight AFNS 22 Jul 2011 -- Air Force Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Phil Breedlove discussed the Air Force's enduring capabilities, the Air-Sea Battle concept and the Long Range Strike family of systems.
- Secretary Clinton Remarks on India and the United States: A Vision for the 21st Century US Dept. of State 20 Jul 2011
- Clinton Wraps Up India Visit, Nuclear Impasse Unresolved VOA 20 Jul 2011 -- U.S. Secretary of StateClinton described the deluge of topics for this week's talks with Indian officials on bilateral cooperation as a "monsoon."
- Secretary Clinton Joint Press Availability with Indian External Affairs Minister Shri S. M. Krishna US Dept. of State 19 Jul 2011
- Secretary Clinton Remarks at the Opening Session of the U.S.-India Strategic Dialogue US Dept. of State 19 Jul 2011
- US, India Press Pakistan on Terrorist Safe Havens VOA 19 Jul 2011 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Indian Foreign Minister S.M. Krishna Tuesday urged Pakistan to do more to eliminate terrorist safe-havens on its territory.
- Clinton Calls For Deeper Ties With India During New Delhi Visit RFE/RL 19 Jul 2011 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has pushed for nuclear deals and deeper security cooperation with India during a visit to New Delhi.
- Army develops new ways to test, identify biological agents Army News 18 Jul 2011 -- Scientists at Edgewood Chemical Biological Center developed a ground-breaking method for identification of biological agents.
- US and S. Korean Authorities Accused of Spawning Nuclear Issue KCNA 16 Jul 2011 -- Rodong Sinmun carries a by-lined commentary on U.S. arming its forces in south Korea with nuclear weapons.
- Cartwright Addresses Drawdowns, Budget With Reporters AFPS 14 Jul 2011 -- Defense Department officials are applying new ways of thinking to everything from cost saving initiatives to the nuclear triad.
- Defense Nuclear Monitoring System Helps in Disasters AFPS 14 Jul 2011 -- The Defense Department’s U.S. Atomic Energy Detection System has monitored the planet for nuclear blasts since 1947.
- Pine Bluff Chemical Activity Announces Reduction in Force Army News 14 Jul 2011 -- The Pine Bluff Chemical Activity announced that a Reduction in Force of its workforce will occur July 16, 2011.
- Lockheed Martin Delivers Nuclear Materials Tracking System to Nuclear Regulatory Commission Lockheed Martin 13 Jul 2011 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] has completed delivery of the National Source Tracking System (NSTS) to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC). The system is an Information Technology tool that assists in the accounting and tracking of radioactive source material typically used in medical, academic and industrial applications.
- Secretary Clinton Remarks With Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs Sergey Lavrov After their Meeting US Dept. of State 13 Jul 2011
- Nevada Blue Crew Completes First Post-Overhaul Patrol NNS 13 Jul 2011 -- USS Nevada and its Blue Crew returned to Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor July 3, capping first strategic deterrent patrol following refueling overhaul.
- C-130 heats up for new decon test, evaluation at Little Rock AFNS 13 Jul 2011 -- A retired, ground-instructional C-130 Hercules is undergoing tests to determine how heat and humidity affect the decontamination process.
- Sensor Network Detects Nuclear Blasts Worldwide AFPS 12 Jul 2011 -- At any time, if a nuclear device explodes anywhere on Earth, a Defense Department network established in 1947 will know about it.
- Army North's largest exercise to train DOD's newest response forces Army News 12 Jul 2011 -- US Army North's largest disaster response exercise is one step closer to reality.
- Northrop Grumman-Led ICBM Prime Integration Team Participates in Test Launch of Minuteman III Missile Northrop Grumman 07 Jul 2011 -- The Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) Prime Team, led by Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC), participated in an Air Force Global Strike Command flight test of an operational Minuteman III ICBM launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., on June 22, 2011.
- Reset in Russia-U.S. relations 'working out' - Lavrov RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2011 -- The reset in Russia-U.S. relations is bearing good fruit, but several disputable points are still eclipsing bilateral ties.
- US Attempts to Use Nuclear Weapons at Very Beginning of Korean War KCNA 06 Jul 2011 -- It was disclosed that the United States attempted to use nuclear weapons at the very beginning of the Korean war.
- Russia's threats to create new offensive system 'unnecessary' - NATO chief RIA Novosti 05 Jul 2011 -- NATO secretary general: Russia should not seek new weapons to counter nonexistent threats from the West.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list