Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2011 - United States Special Weapons News
- Kehler Succeeds Chilton as Strategic Command Chief AFPS 28 Jan 2011 -- Air Force Gen. Kevin P. Chilton passed the flag of U.S. Strategic Command to Air Force Gen. C. Robert Kehler today, giving the nation’s nuclear deterrent mission a new commander.
- Russia-U.S. arms reduction treaty could enter into force in February RIA Novosti 28 Jan 2011 -- The Russian-U.S. strategic arms reduction treaty could enter into force in early February, President Dmitry Medvedev said on Friday after signing off on the new START treaty ratification documents.
- Ban welcomes Russia’s approval of nuclear arms reduction pact UN News Centre 26 Jan 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon welcomed today’s adoption by the Russian parliament of the law on ratification of the nuclear arms reduction treaty that signed last year with the United States, thereby enabling the pact to enter into force.
- Russian parliament's upper house ratifies U.S.-Russia arms cuts deal RIA Novosti 26 Jan 2011 -- The upper house of the Russian parliament, the Federation Council, ratified on Wednesday a new strategic arms reduction treaty between Russia and the United States.
- Nuclear weapons center attains full operational capability AFNS 25 Jan 2011 -- The commander of the Air Force Materiel Command declared full operational capability for the Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center during the change of command ceremony Jan. 20 here.
- Russian State Duma ratifies new START treaty RIA Novosti 25 Jan 2011 -- Russia's lower house of parliament, the State Duma, ratified on Tuesday a new strategic arms reduction agreement with the United States.
- Obama hails new START ratification by Russian lower house RIA Novosti 25 Jan 2011 -- U.S. President Barak Obama praised the ratification of the new strategic arms reduction treaty by the lower house of the Russian parliament during a phone conversation with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev on Tuesday.
- Russian Duma Approves New START With US VOA 25 Jan 2011 -- Russia's State Duma has ratified a landmark nuclear arms pact with the United States, sending the treaty to the upper house of parliament for final approval.
- More Nuke Treaties Remain on Agenda AFPS 20 Jan 2011 -- Senior State Dept. official: With one major arms reduction treaty nearly to the enforcement stage, more work lies ahead to advance the nation's nuclear security.
- Russian parliament committee recommends ratifying New Start RIA Novosti 20 Jan 2011 -- Foreign relations committee of lower house of Russian parliament recommended that lawmakers approve New START.
- Tough Talks Ahead Over Russian, U.S. Smallpox Samples RFE/RL 20 Jan 2011 -- Smallpox, or variola, is estimated to have killed hundreds of millions of people over thousands of years.
- Fact Sheet: U.S., China Sign Agreement to Establish Center of Excellence on Nuclear Security The White House 19 Jan 2011
- Fact Sheet: U.S., China Partner to Counter Nuclear Smuggling The White House 19 Jan 2011
- Medvedev urges swift ratification of new START treaty RIA Novosti 17 Jan 2011 -- Russian President Medvedev called on the country's parliament to swiftly ratify the new nuclear arms reduction treaty with the US.
- Duma Sends 'New Start' To Third Reading RFE/RL 14 Jan 2011 -- Deputies in the lower house of the Russian legislature, the Duma, have approved the second reading of a ratification bill for the so-called New START.
- Duma sets terms on Russia-U.S. arms deal ratification RIA Novosti 14 Jan 2011 -- The lower house of the Russian parliament approved amendments to a bill on the ratification of a arms reduction deal with the US.
- Russian parliament approves New START on 2nd reading RIA Novosti 14 Jan 2011 -- The State Duma, the lower house of Russia's parliament, voted for ratification of a new strategic arms reduction deal with the US.
- Air Force Global Strike Command gets new top leader AFNS 07 Jan 2011 -- Lt. Gen. James Kowalski assumed command of Air Force Global Strike Command here Jan. 6, becoming the second commander of the organization. As such, he is responsible for all of the nation's ICBMs and nuclear-capable bombers.
- Senior Russian MP: New Start better for Russia than US RIA Novosti 07 Jan 2011 -- The New Start agreement with the US on strategic nuclear arms cuts favors Russia more than START 1.
- Russian parliament drafts five amendments to new arms pact RIA Novosti 06 Jan 2011 -- The lower house of the Russian parliament has prepared five amendments and two draft statements on arms treaty with the US.
- Maryland Blue Wraps Up 2010 NNS 05 Jan 2011 -- The crew of USS Maryland (SSBN 738) (Blue) pauses to reflect on the accomplishments during 2010.
- Families Give USS Nebraska (Gold) New Year's Welcome Home NNS 04 Jan 2011 -- Trident ballistic missile submarine USS Nebraska and its Gold Crew returned to Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor on Jan. 1.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list