Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2010 - United States Special Weapons News
- U.S. announces completion of W62 warhead dismantlement RIA Novosti 13 Aug 2010 -- The U.S. Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) announced it had dismantled the last W62 nuclear warhead, produced in early 1970-s.
- Energy Secretary Announces Completion of W62 Dismantlement Program National Nuclear Security Administration 12 Aug 2010 -- Secretary of Energy Steven Chu announced that the Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) has dismantled the last W62 nuclear warhead. Secretary Chu made the announcement after personally participating in the final W62 dismantlement during an August 11, 2010 visit to NNSA’s Pantex Plant outside Amarillo, Texas.
- W62 Dismantlement Fact Sheet National Nuclear Security Administration 12 Aug 2010 -- The W62 warhead was designed by Lawrence Livermore and Sandia National Laboratories. It was first deployed in the 1970’s and retired from service on 19 Mar 2010. While the actual production numbers in the stockpile are classified, the W62 played a significant role in the U.S. nuclear deterrent.
- Clinton Presses Congress to Ratify Nuclear Treaty AFPS 12 Aug 2010 -- Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton yesterday reiterated the call she and Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates have made for the Senate to move quickly to ratify the new Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty.
- Clinton Urges Early Senate Action on Arms Treaty With Russia VOA 11 Aug 2010 -- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned Wednesday that a Senate delay in ratifying the new strategic arms reduction treaty with Russia will "erode" U.S. national security. The treaty, finalized in April, has drawn heavy criticism from Republicans.
- UMCDF surpasses 50 percent milestone in agent destruction Army News 10 Aug 2010 -- The Umatilla Chemical Agent Disposal Facility (UMCDF) has surpassed the 50 percent mark for destroying the original stockpile of chemical warfare agents at the Umatilla Chemical Depot. This includes all of the nerve agent and a portion of the mustard agent destroyed since the start of chemical operations in 2004.
- UMCDF destroys oldest mustard ton container stored at UMCD Army News 10 Aug 2010 -- The Umatilla Chemical Agent Disposal Facility (UMCDF) today destroyed the oldest mustard ton container stored at the Umatilla Chemical Depot.
- US, Russia Still at Odds on Missile Defense VOA 10 Aug 2010 -- The question of missile defense is not addressed in the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty, signed by the United States and Russia.
- Russia has issues with U.S. over non-proliferation regime RIA Novosti 07 Aug 2010 -- Russia is dissatisfied with the US’s fulfillment of its obligations in the sphere of the non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.
- Russia 'Dissatisfied' With US Weapons Actions VOA 07 Aug 2010 -- Russia says it is dissatisfied with the United States' fulfillment of its obligations according to their arms-reduction treaty.
- Verification Provisions Important Part of New START Treaty VOA 06 Aug 2010 -- Verification provisions are a key element of the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty signed by the U.S. and Russia.
- Achieving nuclear-weapon-free world is possible, Ban tells Hiroshima ceremony UN News Centre 06 Aug 2010 -- Secretary-General paid respect to all those who perished there 65 years ago and stressed that time has come to free world of nuclear weapons.
- Japan Marks A-Bomb Anniversary VOA 06 Aug 2010 -- Japan is commemorating the victims of the atomic bomb that devastated Hiroshima 65 years ago.
- Senate Committee Delays Action on New START Treaty VOA 05 Aug 2010 -- The Senate Foreign Relations Committee has delayed a vote on the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty until after the August recess.
- US remains optimistic about arms treaty ratification RIA Novosti 05 Aug 2010 -- US administration hopes that the new strategic arms reduction treaty with Russia will be ratified by the end of this year.
- Rodong Sinmun Blasts Nuclear Scenario KCNA 05 Aug 2010 -- It is an invariable scenario of the United States to make a preemptive nuclear strike upon and stifle the DPRK any time.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list