Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2009 - United States Special Weapons News
- White House says Gen. Jones' arms talks in Moscow fruitful RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2009 -- Washington positively assesses recent visit of the U.S. president's national security adviser, Gen. James Jones, to Moscow for another round of talks on a new strategic arms reduction treaty, the White House spokesman said.
- Minot bomb wing commander relieved of duty AFNS 30 Oct 2009 -- The commander of the 5th Bomb Wing at Minot Air Force Base, N.D., was relieved of command Oct. 30 due to loss of confidence in his ability to command.
- Joint Chemical Biological Defense facility project kicks off at Aberdeen Proving Ground Army News 30 Oct 2009 -- It was standing room only at a groundbreaking ceremony Oct. 28 for the Joint Program Executive Office (JPEO) for Chemical and Biological Defense at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Edgewood, Md
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss new arms control deal in November RIA Novosti 29 Oct 2009 -- The Russian and U.S. presidents will discuss a news arms control agreement in mid-November in Singapore, the Russian foreign minister said on Thursday.
- U.S. national security adviser visits Russia for arms talks RIA Novosti 29 Oct 2009 -- The U.S. president's national security adviser, Gen. James Jones, is visiting Russia for nuclear arms reduction talks.
- Washington says talks to replace START 1 to continue in Moscow RIA Novosti 28 Oct 2009 -- Washington says its U.S. National Security Adviser James Jones' primary aim of visiting Russia is to negotiate a new nuclear arms cuts treaty to replace START 1, a spokesman for the White House said.
- Medvedev, Obama hope for new nuclear arms pact by early December RIA Novosti 24 Oct 2009 -- The presidents of Russia and the United States hope that a treaty on nuclear arms cuts to replace START 1 will be ready by early December, the Kremlin said on Saturday.
- Venezuela Criticizes US Probe of Former Los Alamos Scientist VOA 22 Oct 2009 -- Venezuelan President Chavez accused the US of trying to create what he called the "opinion" that his country wants nuclear weapons.
- Clinton Urges Stronger Commitment To 'Vision' Of Nuclear-Free World RFE/RL 22 Oct 2009 -- US President Obama: Administration had begun work on an effort to eliminate nuclear weapons from the world's arsenals.
- Lockheed Martin-Built Trident II D5 Missile Achieves Record 129 Successful Test Flights In A Row Over 20 Years Lockheed Martin 21 Oct 2009 -- The U.S. Navy conducted successful test flights Sept. 3 and 4 of two Trident II D5 Fleet Ballistic Missiles (FBMs) built by Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT).
- Clinton: Iranian, N. Korean Nuclear Issues Critical to Stability VOA 21 Oct 2009 -- Secretary of State Clinton: Thwarting the nuclear ambitions of Iran and North Korea critical to efforts to shore up non-proliferation regime.
- Clinton says world must act on nuclear proliferation RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2009 -- US Secretary of State Clinton told a Washington think-tank that the world faced the nightmare scenario of nuclear-armed terrorists.
- U.S. says talks are intensive with Moscow on arms reduction pact RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2009 -- US Department of State: US and Russia in an active phase of drafting a new pact to replace START 1.
- Maryland Scientist Charged with Attempted Espionage US Dept. of Justice 19 Oct 2009 -- A Maryland scientist who once worked in varying capacities for the Department of Energy, the Department of Defense and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration has been arrested for attempted espionage.
- Russia to do its best to sign arms cuts deal with U.S. by Dec. RIA Novosti 19 Oct 2009 -- President Medvedev: Russia will do its best to sign a new strategic arms reduction treaty with the United States by December.
- Russian-U.S. nuclear arms talks continue in Geneva RIA Novosti 19 Oct 2009 -- Next round of Russian- US consultations on a replacement for the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty will be held on Monday in Geneva.
- Russian Foreign Minister speaks on Missile Defense, START, and the world situation RIA Novosti 16 Oct 2009 -- Russian FM Lavrov gave interviews to RIA Novosti, the Voice of Russia radio station, and Russia Today.
- Minot missile wing commander relieved AFNS 14 Oct 2009 -- Commander of the 91st Missile Wing at Minot Air Force Base, N.D., was relieved of command Oct. 14 due to loss of confidence in his ability to command.
- US, Russia Note Progress on Nuclear Arms Treaty VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- Russian FM Lavrov: US and Russia have made "considerable" progress on plans to reduce their nuclear arsenals.
- U.S. Secretary of State to focus on Iran, arms reduction in Moscow RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- US Secretary of State expected to prioritize Iran's nuclear program and arms reduction during her talks with Russian leadership.
- Clinton, Lavrov optimistic ahead of talks in Moscow RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- US Secretary of State Clinton: Progress has been made in bilateral ties, and that the sides expect productive talks.
- ICBMs: A strategic umbrella for 50 years AFNS 09 Oct 2009 -- This year marks a major milestone in Air Force history: Dawn of technology that has contributed so greatly to national security for the past 50 years.
- New U.S.-Russia arms cuts deal to be ready by yearend - ambassador RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2009 -- Washington and Moscow will be able to draft a new strategic arms reduction treaty by the end of the year.
- U.S. must advance strategic arms reduction issue - Medvedev RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2009 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev called on Friday on the United States to advance the process of strategic arms reduction.
- Medvedev to meet U.S. secretary of state in Moscow next week RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2009 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev will meet with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton during her visit to Moscow next week.
- Moscow prioritizes strategic arms cuts RIA Novosti 08 Oct 2009 -- Russia believes new strategic arms reduction deal with US should be signed before cuts in tactical nuclear weapons are discussed.
- Global Strike Command leader updates progress AFNS 07 Oct 2009 -- Air Force Global Strike Command's top officer provided an update on the command's progress toward full operational capability.
- Airmen commemorate 50 years of nation's preeminent ICBM fleet AFNS 07 Oct 2009 -- Members from across the ICBM community arrived here Oct. 7 for a three-day celebration of the 50th anniversary of the ICBM.
- Sheppard officials launch Nuclear Accountability Course AFNS 06 Oct 2009 -- AF officials took another important step in reinvigorating their nuclear enterprise with the launch of the Nuclear Accountability Course.
- ACC officials hold bomb wing transition summit AFNS 06 Oct 2009 -- Air Combat Command and AF Global Strike Command work on solutions for transition of ACC's 3 bomb wings with nuclear missions to AFGSC.
- Nuclear Arms Control Treaty Program Participates in Large Scale Calibration Test Army News 06 Oct 2009 -- US Army's Nuclear Arms Control Treaty program participated in a large scale sensor calibration test in August.
- CMA Destroys its Two Millionth Munition Army News 06 Oct 2009 -- US Army Chemical Materials Agency announced safe destruction of its 2 millionth munition since Entry-Into-Force of the CWC.
- General Dynamics Awarded $16 Million for Chemical Detection Systems Production General Dynamics 05 Oct 2009 -- General Dynamics Armament and Technical Products has been awarded a $16 million order to provide Joint Service Lightweight Standoff Chemical Agent Detector (JSLSCAD) systems and spares for Stryker Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Reconnaissance Vehicles (NBCRVs).
- Russia's Lavrov to meet Hillary Clinton on Oct. 13 in Moscow RIA Novosti 03 Oct 2009 -- Russian FM Lavrov will meet US Secretary of State Clinton after bilateral arms reduction talks.
- U.S. Secretary of State to visit Russia during European tour RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2009 -- US Secretary of State Clinton will make her first trip to Russia during a European tour on October 9-15.
- 8th Air Force transfers nonbomber units, continues nuclear enterprise transformation AFNS 01 Oct 2009 -- Officials from 8th Air Force reached a milestone in nuclear enterprise transformation Oct. 1.
- Air Force demilitarizes big backlog of nuclear weapons-related components AFNS 01 Oct 2009 -- Air Force officials undertaken a massive effort to demilitarize nuclear weapons-related legacy assets.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list