Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2009 - United States Special Weapons News
- Russia, U.S. to jointly prepare for 2010 nuclear security summit RIA Novosti 26 Sep 2009 -- Russia and the US have agreed to jointly participate in the preparation of the nuclear security summit in 2010.
- Obama ready to work with Russia on nuclear non-proliferation RIA Novosti 26 Sep 2009 -- President Obama: US and Russia will work together on preventing the proliferation of nuclear weapons.
- Bombers complete long-range exercise with Australia AFNS 25 Sep 2009 -- Three B-52 Stratofortresses stationed completed 13-hour flights to an Australian training range as part of Exercise Green Lightning
- Fact Sheet on the United Nations Security Council Summit on Nuclear Nonproliferation and Nuclear Disarmament UNSC Resolution 1887 The White House 24 Sep 2009
- Statement by George Shultz, William Perry, Henry Kissinger and Sam Nunn Regarding the United Nations Security Council Meeting on Nuclear Nonproliferation and Nuclear Disarmament The White House 24 Sep 2009
- UN Adopts Resolution on Nuclear Weapons VOA 24 Sep 2009 -- UN Security Council has unanimously approved a resolution to increase efforts to eventually rid the world of nuclear weapons.
- Resolution 1887, Historic Summit of Security Council Pledges Support for Progress on Stalled Efforts to End Nuclear Weapons Proliferation UN Security Council 24 Sep 2009
- Russia, U.S. to slash nuclear delivery vehicles - Medvedev RIA Novosti 24 Sep 2009 -- Russia and the US are discussing the possibility of slashing the number of nuclear weapon delivery vehicles by 3 times.
- Russia, U.S. could prepare arms reduction deal in time - Medvedev RIA Novosti 24 Sep 2009 -- A new Russian-U.S. strategic arms reduction treaty is likely to be ready before the current pact expires.
- Obama Set To Bring Nonproliferation Case To UN RFE/RL 23 Sep 2009 -- Barack Obama plans to use opportunity to bring resolution advancing his goal of a world free of nuclear weapons.
- UN chief says Russia-U.S. arms deal key for nuke-free world RIA Novosti 23 Sep 2009 -- UNSG Ban: Commitments made by US and Russia "extremely important" to achieve a world free of nuclear arms.
- Russia makes 'landmark' uranium shipment to U.S. RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2009 -- A batch of low-enriched uranium was shipped to the U, bringing to 11,000 tons the total exported under a 1993 bilateral agreement.
- Russia, U.S. continue strategic arms reduction dialogue RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2009 -- The sixth round of talks on a new nuclear arms reduction deal between Russia and the U.S. opens on Monday in Geneva.
- Effects Of 'Peaceful' Nuclear Tests Felt Decades Later RFE/RL 21 Sep 2009 -- During the Cold War, the US and Soviet Union each explored the possibility of using nuclear explosions for "peaceful" purposes.
- Russia, U.S. likely to agree on arms reduction deal by yearend RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2009 -- Russian President Medvedev: Chances to reach agreements with the US "high enough."
- Commander of newest MAJCOM defines success AFNS 18 Sep 2009 -- Commander of Air Force Global Strike Command stressed the importance of skilled and dedicated Airmen to the nuclear enterprise.
- Obama, Medvedev to Review Progress on Treaty to Replace START I VOA 17 Sep 2009 -- US President Barack and Russian counterpart expected to review progress this month on a follow-on treaty to START I.
- SSBN Launches Fleet Ballistic Missiles Navy NewsStand 17 Sep 2009 -- USS West Virginia conducted two successful test flights of the Trident II D5 fleet ballistic missile.
- Northrop Grumman Signs License Agreement for Chemical and Biological Detection Technology Northrop Grumman 16 Sep 2009 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) and Syagen Technology have signed a product development and license agreement to further strengthen their collaboration in the development of the next generation of chemical biological mass spectrometry instrumentation.
- Statement by the Press Secretary on the U.S. delegation to the Conference on Facilitating the Entry into Force of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty The White House 15 Sep 2009
- Medvedev says no taboos in Russia-U.S. dialogue RIA Novosti 15 Sep 2009 -- Moscow is ready to discuss any issues with the US, even those on which they strongly disagree, the Russian president said.
- Air Force Strengthens Nuclear Deterrence Operations AFPS 11 Sep 2009 -- New initiatives underway within the Air Force to consolidate commands, modernize systems and strengthen personnel emphasize nuclear security.
- AFMC leaders continue to focus on nuclear sustainment AFNS 08 Sep 2009 -- Sustaining the Air Force nuclear arsenal was emphasized by the commander of Air Force Materiel Command as he led center and wing commanders along with AFMC headquarters senior staff through two days of in-depth discussions during the command's semi-annual senior leaders conference here Sept. 1 and 2.
- Russia set to hold 4-5 rounds of arms talks with U.S. by December RIA Novosti 08 Sep 2009 -- Russia hopes to hold before December at least five rounds of talks with the United States on a new arms reduction deal to replace the existing START-1 treaty, the Russian foreign minister said Tuesday.
- Russia, U.S. begin specific work on new arms reduction treaty RIA Novosti 05 Sep 2009 -- Russia and the United States have started working on a new strategic arms reduction treaty, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Saturday.
- Air Force officials reactivate 69th Bomb Squadron at Minot AFNS 04 Sep 2009 -- Air Force officials reactivated the 69th Bomb Squadron Sept. 3 at Minot Air Force Base.
- U.S., Russia to hold strategic arms reduction talks in Geneva RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2009 -- A new round of talks on nuclear arms reduction will take place in Geneva on September 21.
- Russia, U.S. making progress on new nuclear arms deal - Lavrov RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2009 -- Russia and US making headway on new nuclear arms reduction deal.
- US, Russia Make Progress on Nuclear Arms Deal VOA 03 Sep 2009 -- Russia and US making progress on reaching a new deal by the end of the year to cut their vast Cold War arsenals of nuclear weapons.
- EPA Approves Army's Closure of Johnston Atoll Chemical Agent Disposal System Army News 02 Sep 2009 -- US EPA accepted the Army's closure of its former Johnston Atoll Chemical Agent Disposal System.
- CBRNE Consequence Management Response Force Army News 02 Sep 2009 -- CCMRF is the CBRNE Consequence Management Response Force.
- Whiteman Airmen test nuclear weapon mission AFNS 01 Sep 2009 -- Members of the 72nd Test and Evaluation Squadron took part in part of ACC's nuclear weapon system evaluation program.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list