Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2022 United Nations News
2022 Global Special Weapons News
- Director General Highlights Vast Work, Impact of IAEA at 66th General Conference Opening IAEA 26 Sep 2022 -- The IAEA is addressing some of today's biggest global challenges, IAEA Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi told delegates at the opening of the Agency's 66th annual General Conference today.
- UN chief calls for an end to 'nuclear blackmail' and risk of 'humanitarian Armageddon' UN News 26 Sep 2022 -- In an era of "nuclear blackmail", UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres on Monday urged countries to step back from the threat of potential global catastrophe and recommit to peace.
- Prime Minister Liz Truss's speech to the UN General Assembly: 21 September 2022 Gov.UK 22 Sep 2022 -- Prime Minister Liz Truss's speech to the 77th session of the UN General Assembly in New York.
- Remarks by President Biden Before the 77th Session of the United Nations General Assembly The White House 21 Sep 2022
- At UNGA, Biden Condemns Russia's War on Ukraine as Putin Escalates Threats VOA 21 Sep 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden called out Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine at the United Nations, as the Russian leader significantly escalated war efforts and threatened nuclear retaliation.
- Russia's Invasion Of Ukraine An Affront To UN Charter, Biden Tells World Leaders RFE/RL 21 Sep 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden has told world leaders at the United Nations in New York that Russia âhas shamelessly violated the core tenetsâ of the UN Charter with its âbrutal, needless warâ in Ukraine.
- At UN, Spotlight on Global Consequences of Russia's War VOA 20 Sep 2022 -- The global consequences of Russia's invasion of Ukraine were in the spotlight Tuesday at the U.N. General Assembly, as the annual debate got underway.
- Secretary-General's address to the General Assembly UN Secretary-General 20 Sep 2022
- UN Chief Calls for Action on Global Food, Climate Crises VOA 20 Sep 2022 -- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres appealed to leaders Tuesday to unite and take action to address the problems of a world âteeming with turmoil.â
- Secretary-General's opening remarks at press conference on the 77th session of UN General Assembly UN Secretary-General 14 Sep 2022
- Secretary-General's remarks at the Opening of the 77th Session of the General Assembly UN Secretary-General 13 Sep 2022
- Conclusion of Article V Formal Consultative Meeting under the Biological Weapons Convention US Dept. of State 13 Sep 2022 -- On Friday, September 9, the Biological Weapons Convention Article V Formal Consultative Meeting, called by Russia, ended in Geneva. The United States delegation, led by Special Representative Kenneth D. Ward, effectively exposed Russia's disinformation tactics and dispelled Russia's spurious allegations seeking to malign peaceful U.S. cooperation with Ukraine.
- Statement by K.V.Vorontsov, Head of the Delegation of the Russian Federation at the Consultative Meeting of States Parties to the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention on Article V of the BTWC (Geneva, 9 September 2022) Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 13 Sep 2022
- New UN General Assembly highlights 'solidarity, sustainability and science' UN News 13 Sep 2022 -- The 77th session of the UN General Assembly opened on Tuesday with its new president urging world leaders to respond to humanity's most pressing challenges, including the war in Ukraine, by working together and building bridges across what are "deep divides".
- Situation at Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Power Plant 'Untenable,' Protection Zone Needed, IAEA's Grossi tells Board IAEA 12 Sep 2022 -- In his opening address to the IAEA's Board of Governors today, IAEA Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi reiterated his call for the establishment of a nuclear safety and security protection zone at Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine.
- 'Let us tell the next generation their futures are worth fighting for,' says outgoing Assembly President UN News 12 Sep 2022 -- During the closing ceremony of the UN General Assembly's 76th session on Monday, the UN chief lauded the "skills, vision and dedication" of the Assembly's outgoing President.
- Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons Treaty: Statement by the High Representative Josep Borrell on the occasion of the closure of the Tenth Review Conference of the Parties European External Action Service (EEAS) 29 Aug 2022 -- The European Union deeply regrets that, in spite of all tireless efforts, no substantial outcome of the Tenth Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) was reached due to Russia's unwillingness to join the consensus.
- Statement on Russian obstruction of the nuclear treaty conference Australia MFA 28 Aug 2022 -- The Australian Government is deeply disappointed that the tenth Review Conference of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) did not reach a consensus outcome, despite the urgency of the international security environment.
- U.S. Says Non-Proliferation Treaty Strong Despite Russia's 'Cynical Obstructionism' RFE/RL 28 Aug 2022 -- The United States said the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) remains strong despite Russia's "cynical obstructionism" after Moscow blocked the adoption of the final document of a monthlong review of the UN pact, complaining it was "blatantly political in nature."
- Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Remains Strong Despite Russian Obstructionism US Dept. of State 28 Aug 2022 -- After weeks of intensive but productive negotiations, the Russian Federation alone decided to block consensus on a final document at the conclusion of the Tenth Review Conference of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).
- UN chief disappointed nuclear treaty conference ends without consensus UN News 27 Aug 2022 -- UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres has highlighted the need for dialogue to reduce the nuclear threat after countries failed to reach consensus at a conference to review the landmark Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), his Spokesperson said on Saturday.
- Joint Statement on FIRST Program Cooperation at the 2022 NPT Review Conference US Dept. of State 25 Aug 2022 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States of America and Estonia, Ghana, Japan, Kazakhstan, Latvia, the Philippines, the Republic of Korea, Romania, Ukraine, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland on the occasion of the 2022 NPT Review Conference.
- EU Statement at the 59th session of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organisation (CTBTO) Working Group B (Verification - related activities) European External Action Service (EEAS) 22 Aug 2022
- Secretary-General's remarks to the press at Japan National Press Club UN Secretary-General 08 Aug 2022
- From Hiroshima, UN chief calls for global nuclear disarmament UN News 05 Aug 2022 -- It is totally unacceptable for states in possession of nuclear weapons to admit the possibility of a nuclear war, AntÃ³nio Guterres underscored early on Saturday in Japan at a ceremony marking the 77th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima.
- ASEAN Regional Forum Statement on reiterating commitment to preserve Southeast Asia as a Nuclear Weapon-free zone European External Action Service (EEAS) 05 Aug 2022 -- The 29th ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) was held in Phnom Penh on 5 August 2022 under Cambodia's 2022 ASEAN Chairmanship.
- Nuclear-free world is possible, test-ban treaty chief says UN News 05 Aug 2022 -- Nuclear weapons will continue to pose a risk to humanity unless countries fully adhere to the treaty that prohibits their testing, a senior UN official said at a press conference in New York on Friday.
- Press release on the ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty by East Timor Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 04 Aug 2022
- Press Statement of DPRK Permanent Mission to UN KCNA 04 Aug 2022 -- The Permanent Mission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea to the United Nations on Aug. 3 released the following press statement regarding the anti-DPRK confrontational clamor by the United States and some servile States Parties with unwarranted accusations against the DPRK at the 10th Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT):
- Statement by Mr. Igor Vishnevetskii, Deputy Head of the Delegation of the Russian Federation at the 10th NPT Review Conference (General Debate), New York , August 2, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 03 Aug 2022
- Amid Rising Global Tensions, UN Chief Warns About Nuclear Annihilation RFE/RL 02 Aug 2022 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called on nations around the globe to "put humanity on a new path" that is free of nuclear weapons as rising geopolitical tensions have put the planet just "one miscalculation away from nuclear annihilation."
- Nuclear war must never be initiated: Putin People's Daily 02 Aug 2022 -- A nuclear war cannot be won and must never be fought, Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Monday.
- UN secretary-general warns of 'nuclear annihilation' Press TV 02 Aug 2022 -- UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, has warned that the world is in danger with humanity being only one misstep away from "nuclear annihilation."
- Greetings on the opening of the Tenth Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons President of Russia 01 Aug 2022 -- Vladimir Putin sent a message of greetings to the participants and guests of the Tenth Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT).
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken at a Press Availability US Dept. of State 01 Aug 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken's Remarks to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Review Conference US Dept. of State 01 Aug 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken Before His Meeting with Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) Non-Nuclear States Parties on the Margins of the NPT Review Conference US Dept. of State 01 Aug 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Non-Nuclear Weapons States Parties on the Sidelines of the NPT Review Conference US Dept. of State 01 Aug 2022
- President Biden Statement Ahead of the 10th Review Conference of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons The White House 01 Aug 2022
- Non-proliferation Treaty Review Conference: IAEA's Grossi Calls for Recommitment IAEA 01 Aug 2022 -- "In this moment of global uncertainty, anxiety, fear and distress, we must come together and recommit to the noble principles enshrined in the NPT: nuclear non-proliferation, disarmament, and to promote cooperation in peaceful uses of nuclear energy." This was the message from IAEA Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi at the opening session of the Tenth Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT), which he called vital to peace and development.
- Amid Rising Global Tensions, UN Chief Warns About Nuclear Annihilation RFE/RL 01 Aug 2022 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called on nations around the globe to "put humanity on a new path" that is free of nuclear weapons as rising geopolitical tensions have put the planet just "one miscalculation away from nuclear annihilation."
- Humanity's just one misunderstanding away from 'nuclear annihilation' warns UN chief UN News 01 Aug 2022 -- As geopolitical tensions reach new highs, and some governments are spending billions on nuclear weapons in a false bid for peace and security, countries must uphold the nearly 80-year norm against their use, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said in New York on Monday.
- Secretary-General's remarks to the Tenth Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons UN Secretary-General 01 Aug 2022
- At UN, Review of Nuclear Controls in Tense World Underway VOA 01 Aug 2022 -- The U.N. secretary-general warned Monday at the start of a nuclear non-proliferation conference that the risks of more nuclear weapons is growing as guardrails to prevent escalation are weakening.
- Ministerial Statement of the French Republic, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and the United States of America US Dept. of State 01 Aug 2022 -- For more than fifty years, the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) has been an irreplaceable and vital component of a global rules-based order. We reaffirm the NPT as the cornerstone of the nuclear nonproliferation regime and as the foundation for the pursuit of nuclear disarmament and peaceful uses of nuclear technology. We recall our enduring efforts to reduce nuclear risks in furtherance of our nuclear disarmament obligations under Article VI of the NPT.
- Let us strengthen the cornerstone of our efforts to deliver a world free of nuclear weapons: Minister Stuart to UN General Assembly UK FCDO 01 Aug 2022 -- The Minister for Europe delivered the UK National Statement at the 10th Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons
- Statement by Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock at the 10th Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons Germany Federal Foreign Office 01 Aug 2022 -- For more than five months, Russia's war of aggression has caused death and destruction in Ukraine. This war marks a turning Point. A permanent member of the UN Security Council is blatantly breaching the UN Charter and trying to subdue its smaller neighbour. In attacking a country that gave up nuclear weapons, Russia is brutally violating the assurances it gave in the Budapest Memorandum.
- Eliminate nuclear weapons before they eliminate us: UN chief UN News 21 Jun 2022 -- Nuclear weapons are "a deadly reminder of countries' inability to solve problems through dialogue and collaboration", UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres said on Tuesday, urging the international community to abandon them once and for all.
- Experts Assess Implementation of International Conventions on Nuclear Emergency Response IAEA 20 Jun 2022 -- Countries need to work closely together in the event of a nuclear emergency, so sharing experience and improving emergency preparedness are key tasks stemming from the IAEA's mandate.
- Nuclear-armed states spent $82.4bn on nukes in 2021, US topped list: Report Press TV 15 Jun 2022 -- The world's nine nuclear-armed countries - led by the US - spent $82.4 billion upgrading their atomic arsenal in 2021, eight percent more than the previous year, an anti-nuke campaign group has unveiled.
- Risk of Nuclear Weapons Use Now Higher Than During Peak Years of Cold War - SIPRI Sputnik 13 Jun 2022 -- The world is now facing a greater risk of use of nuclear weapons than ever since the height of the Cold War, the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) said in a press release to its fresh yearly report on disarmament on Monday.
- Global Powers Likely To Bolster, Modernize Nuclear Arsenals In 'Worrying Trend,' Report Says RFE/RL 12 Jun 2022 -- The nine nuclear-armed states, including the United States and Russia, are likely to grow and modernize their arsenal of warheads and to be more vocal about it in the coming decade in what is seen as a "worrying trend," an influential think tank says in its latest annual study.
- Five countries elected to serve on UN Security Council UN News 09 Jun 2022 -- Five countries have been elected to serve as non-permanent members of the UN Security Council following a vote in the General Assembly on Thursday.
- UN chief 'encouraged' by first joint statement from key nuclear armed States UN News 04 Jan 2022 -- The Secretary-General, AntÃ³nio Guterres, has welcomed a joint statement issued on Monday by five nuclear armed States on the prevention of nuclear war and the avoidance of the arms race.
- Five Global Powers Pledge to Avoid Nuclear Conflict VOA 03 Jan 2022 -- Five world powers have agreed to work together to stop the further spread of nuclear arms and to avoid nuclear conflict, according to a joint statement.
- World Powers Pledge To Stop Spread Of Nuclear Weapons On Eve Of Non-Proliferation Meeting RFE/RL 03 Jan 2022 -- The world's five leading nuclear powers -- all permanent members of the United Nations Security Council -- have issued a pledge to stop the spread of atomic weapons and to do all they can to ensure a nuclear war never occurs.
- Nuclear-power states reach agreement to prevent spread of nuclear weapons Press TV 03 Jan 2022 -- The world's five nuclear states have agreed to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons and to avoid a nuclear conflict, in a rare joint statement aimed at alleviating global concern and highlighting the push for a nuke-free world.
- Big Five Nuclear Powers Release Joint Statement Saying Their Nukes Aren't Aimed at One Another Sputnik 03 Jan 2022 -- The statement comes in an atmosphere of heightened global tensions - including fears of a conflict between Russia and NATO over Ukraine, and the US and China in the Indo-Pacific.
- China leads in five-state joint statement on preventing nuclear war, arms race Global Times 03 Jan 2022 -- For the first time, the leaders of China, France, Russia, the UK and the US on Monday issued a joint statement on preventing nuclear war and avoiding arms races, in which China played a powerful leading role, and pushed for the reaffirmation of not aiming nuclear devices at each other or at any other state.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list