Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2021 United Nations News
2021 Global Special Weapons News
- UN chief calls for nuclear weapons-free Middle East UN News 29 Nov 2021 -- The UN Secretary-General on Monday called on all Middle East States to transform the vision of a region with no nuclear weapons, or other weapons of mass destruction, into a working reality.
- Underlining our support for a world without nuclear weapons UK FCDO 27 Sep 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador James Kariuki at the Security Council briefing on the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty
- Multilateralism is alive and well: Assembly President wraps up annual debate promising 'active and inclusive' 76th session UN News 27 Sep 2021 -- Amidst the global COVID-19 crisis, the President of the General Assembly closed the UN High-Level session on Monday, crediting "sound mitigation measures" and high vaccination rates for its success.
- 13 of 15 diplomatic allies voice support for Taiwan at U.N. CNA 28 Sep 2021 -- Nicaragua's foreign minister has spoken up in support of Taiwan's inclusion in the United Nations system on the last day of the general debate Monday, the 13th and final diplomatic ally of Taiwan to do so at this year's U.N. General Assembly.
- Myanmar's UN Envoy Skips Address Amid US-China Brokered Deal With Junta Radio Free Asia 27 Sep 2021 -- Myanmar's ambassador to the United Nations withdrew from addressing the General Assembly on Monday as part of a U.S.-China-brokered deal that will see him maintain a "low profile" until a U.N. decision on who will represent the country expected later this year, according to sources familiar with the situation.
- Security Council marks 25th anniversary of Test Ban Treaty with call for nuclear weapons-free world UN News 27 Sep 2021 -- The Security Council on Monday marked the 25th anniversary of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty, with calls for its entry into force and the elimination of nuclear weapons everywhere.
- Afghanistan, Myanmar Skip UN General Assembly VOA 27 Sep 2021 -- Afghanistan will not address the U.N. General Assembly, in the wake of the Taliban takeover and potential competing claims of representation at the world body.
- Syria committed to 'combating and eradicating terrorism', General Assembly hears UN News 27 Sep 2021 -- In his speech to the high-level debate at the UN General Assembly on Monday, Fayssal Mekdad, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Expatriates of Syria, reaffirmed his country's commitment to combat terrorism and aim to 'restore security and stability'.
- Iran nuclear programme at 'critical point', Israeli Prime Minister warns UN News 27 Sep 2021 -- With Iran's nuclear programme at a "watershed moment", the country must be stopped from acquiring a nuclear weapon, Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said on Monday in his inaugural speech to the UN General Assembly.
- 'Humanity remains unacceptably close to nuclear annihilation, says UN chief on International Day UN News 26 Sep 2021 -- "Now is the time to eliminate nuclear weapons from our world , and usher in a new era of dialogue, trust and peace", declared UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres on Sunday, marking the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons.
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's address at the General Debate of the 76th session of the General Assembly, New York, September 25, 2021 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 25 Sep 2021
- 'Overwhelmed by old challenges', Caribbean leaders say COVID-19 has forced a new battle for the survival of their nations UN News 25 Sep 2021 -- Caribbean island nations are under assault from the coronavirus pandemic even as they try to protect their communities from rising seas and raging storms, regional leaders said Saturday at the UN, where they called for bold action to tackle climate change and shore up public health systems.
- As crises 'pile up' in the Sahel, Malian leader says it's time to consider more robust mandate for UN Mission UN News 25 Sep 2021 -- The interim Prime Minister of Mali, Choguel Kokalla MaÃ¯ga, said on Saturday that "rarely, has a country or region been as severely affected by the piling up of crises than Mali and the states of the Sahel."
- Pacific nations appeal for solidarity to combat COVID-19 and climate change UN News 25 Sep 2021 -- Pacific Island leaders speaking in the UN General Assembly on Saturday underlined the need for global solidarity, commitment and action to tackle COVID-19 and climate change, two crises which threaten sustainable development.
- Sudan striving for 'common goal' of peace, prosperity, freedom and justice UN News 25 Sep 2021 -- Sudan continues the path to democracy, two years after the revolution that "carried the aspirations of our people for freedom, peace and justice", Prime Minister Abdalla Adam Hamdok told the UN General Assembly on Saturday.
- St. Vincent's Prime Minister urges world to 'rise collectively' and combat today's challenges UN News 25 Sep 2021 -- In addition to the global challenges surrounding climate, security and the raging COVID-19 pandemic, the Prime Minister of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines on Saturday drew the attention of the 76th UN General Assembly to devastating volcanic eruptions and the on-rushing Atlantic Hurricane season confronting his small-island developing State (SID).
- Haitian Prime Minister: As long as there is inequality, migration will continue UN News 25 Sep 2021 -- The Prime Minister of Haiti, Ariel Henry, said on Saturday that "human beings, fathers and mothers who have children, are always going to flee poverty and conflict."
- Russia calls for 'concerted efforts' to follow purposes and principles of UN Charter UN News 25 Sep 2021 -- The Russian Foreign Minister addressed the UN General Assembly on Saturday, calling for a new consensus to uphold the "purposes and principles" of the UN's founding document, the UN Charter, and a rejection of the Western-backed "Rules Based Order" concept.
- South Sudan 'determined to never go back to war' UN News 24 Sep 2021 -- South Sudan is "ready to turn a new page" towards greater peace, development and prosperity, Vice-President Rebecca Nyandeng de Mabior said in her speech in the UN General Assembly on Friday.
- At UN, Pakistan Prime Minister urges 'bold steps' to prevent humanitarian crisis Afghanistan UN News 24 Sep 2021 -- Against the backdrop of what he called "a critical time" in Afghanistan, Prime Minister Imran Khan of Pakistan said on Friday that if the situation there is neglected, "a huge humanitarian crisis" lies ahead.
- Mexico calls for respect for migrants' rights, and 'true international solidarity' UN News 23 Sep 2021 -- In his address to the high-level debate at the UN General Assembly on Thursday, Marcelo Ebrard, the Secretary of Foreign Affairs of Mexico, reaffirmed his country's commitment against discrimination and hate speech and called for more solidarity.
- With peace restored, Burundi president says poverty is the remaining threat UN News 23 Sep 2021 -- The President of Burundi said on Thursday that, 60 years after the country's independence, "the restoration of peace, security, stability and social cohesion are a reality" in the African nation.
- Iraqi President warns against complacency in the fight against terrorism UN News 23 Sep 2021 -- International cooperation and solidarity are the only way to combat terrorism, Iraqi President Barham Salih said in his speech to the UN General Assembly on Thursday, warning against complacency.
- UN chief appeals for countries to sign nuclear test-ban treaty UN News 23 Sep 2021 -- UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres on Thursday again urged eight key countries which have not yet signed or ratified the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), to do so without delay.
- A strong UN has key role in bringing peace, security and social justice, says Cuban President UN News 23 Sep 2021 -- Miguel Marion DÃaz-Canel BermÃºdez, the President of Cuba, underlined the importance of multilateralism and the UN in his speech to the high-level General Debate at the General Assembly on Thursday, during which he condemned the foreign policy of the United States.
- International community must harness momentum created by triple crises and act, says Norway UN News 22 Sep 2021 -- Norway Prime Minister, Erna Solberg, said on Wednesday the world is contending with three crises at the same time: a climate crisis, a health crisis, and an economic crisis.
- Pandemic 'warning bell' exposed inequalities, governance gaps, says Viet Nam President UN News 22 Sep 2021 -- As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to threaten lives and livelihoods globally, the President of Viet Nam told the UN General Assembly on Wednesday that his nation is "vigorously" combating the virus, protecting its people, sustaining economic growth and leaving no one behind.
- 'The adolescence of humanity is coming to an end', declares UK Prime Minister UN News 22 Sep 2021 -- In his speech to the high-level debate at the UN General Assembly on Wednesday, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson declared that it is time for mankind to grow up and take responsibility for the damage we are inflicting on the planet.
- At UN, Climate and COVID Top Leaders' Concerns VOA 22 Sep 2021 -- Tackling the threat of climate change and COVID-19 were the dominant themes of leaders' speeches Wednesday at the U.N. General Assembly annual debate.
- 'Through the tears, solutions for a better society have sprung up': Estonian President UN News 22 Sep 2021 -- The President of Estonia, Kersti Kaljulaid, lauded the world's embrace of online services in response to the COVID-19 pandemic on Tuesday, in her high-level General Debate speech at the 76th United Nations General Assembly session.
- Support developing countries with climate mitigation: Bosnia and Herzegovina UN News 22 Sep 2021 -- Financial support will be critical if developing countries are to meet global climate goals, the Chairman of the Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Å½eljko KomÅ¡iÄ‡, said in the UN General Assembly on Wednesday.
- Vaccines for all key to building back better after COVID-19: Kenyan President UN News 22 Sep 2021 -- Equitable global access to vaccines must be at the core of efforts to build back better from the COVID-19 pandemic, Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta told the UN General Assembly on Wednesday.
- Venezuela demands the end of sanctions and urges leaders to build a 'new world' UN News 22 Sep 2021 -- President NicolÃ¡s Maduro on Tuesday said his country was the victim of a "fierce campaign" of permanent and systematic aggression through economic and financial sanctions coming from the United States and its allies.
- King of Saudi Arabia says peace is top priority for his country UN News 22 Sep 2021 -- The King of Saudi Arabia, Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud, said on Wednesday that promoting peace is his Kingdom's top priority in international affairs.
- Republic of Korea calls for UN-led 'era of global community' UN News 21 Sep 2021 -- The UN needs to usher in and lead a new "era of global community", and the Republic of Korea will do all it can to support a revived world order based on solidarity and cooperation, the nation's President, Moon Jae-in, told the UN General Assembly on Tuesday.
- At UN, Afghanistan's Neighbors Urge Peace and Security VOA 21 Sep 2021 -- Afghanistan's neighbors reacted to last month's U.S. military withdrawal and the Taliban takeover at the U.N. General Assembly on Tuesday, calling for peace and stability in their region.
- Afghanistan: 'Palpable' fear of 'brutal and systemic repression' of women grows UN News 21 Sep 2021 -- Since the Taliban seized power in Afghanistan last month, they have made some commitments to uphold human rights. However, their subsequent actions have "sadly contradicted" those promises, the UN rights chief told a side event of the General Assembly on Tuesday.
- Philippines President urges world to 'reverse course' on inequality UN News 21 Sep 2021 -- President Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines urged on Tuesday all United Nations Member States to reverse course on inequality, saying the issue will define humanity's future.
- Somali President underscores need for COVID-19 vaccines for all UN News 21 Sep 2021 -- Despite the heavy impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, Somalia has continued on the path to economic reform, President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed said in a pre-recorded speech to the 76th session of the UN General Assembly on Tuesday.
- DR Congo President asks for materialization of 'all the promises made to Africa' UN News 21 Sep 2021 -- The President of Democratic Republic of Congo, FÃ©lix-Antoine Tshisekedi Tshilombo, asked for United Nations Member States to "materialize all the promises made to Africa in compensation for the sacrifices agreed to protect humanity against global warming."
- Sanctions are 'US way of war', Iranian President at UN UN News 21 Sep 2021 -- In his speech to the high-level General Debate at the UN General Assembly on Tuesday, Iranian President Seyyed Ebrahim Raisi called for an end to United States sanctions against his country, describing them as a method of waging war.
- 'World on edge of an abyss,' UN Secretary General Guterres warns Press TV 21 Sep 2021 -- United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has warned global leaders that today's world is the most threatened and divided one, as "we face the greatest cascade of crises in our lifetime."
- Remarks by President Biden Before the 76th Session of the United Nations General Assembly The White House 21 Sep 2021
- At UN, Biden Touts New Era Of 'Relentless Diplomacy' RFE/RL Gandhara 21 Sep 2021 -- President Joe Biden defended the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan in his first speech to the United Nations, saying his administration seeks to focus on diplomacy to address numerous global challenges.
- At UN, Biden pledges new era of 'relentless diplomacy' to tackle global challenges UN News 21 Sep 2021 -- In his inaugural address to the annual gathering of world leaders at the UN, United States President Joseph Biden on Tuesday called for a new era of global unity against the compounding crises of COVID-19, climate change and insecurity.
- In UNGA Speech, Biden Urges Unity in Confronting Global Challenges VOA 21 Sep 2021 -- With promises of "aggressive diplomacy," and a vow to not seek "a new Cold War," U.S. President Joe Biden used his first address before the U.N. General Assembly on Tuesday to push a globalist agenda, with the leader of the world's top military force saying that "U.S. military power must be our tool of last resort, not our first."
- UN Chief Tells World to 'Wake Up' to Crises VOA 21 Sep 2021 -- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres told the world Tuesday to "wake up" to the greatest "cascade of crises" in our lifetimes.
- Restore trust and inspire hope, UN chief says in message to UNGA76 UN News 21 Sep 2021 -- With humanity on the edge of an abyss, and moving in the wrong direction, the world must wake up, Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres said in his keynote address to the UN General Assembly on Tuesday.
- 'Power of humanity' can overcome COVID-19, climate challenges â€“ Assembly President UN News 21 Sep 2021 -- The President of the UN General Assembly on Tuesday opened the annual General Debate, this year held as a hybrid in-person and virtual event, reflecting on the darkest days of the pandemic, "when cities were shuttered and vaccines still a dream" and how the world's peoples "came together as never before".
- On Afghanistan, Qatar calls for separating aid from political differences UN News 21 Sep 2021 -- The international community must continue to support Afghanistan, the Emir of the State of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani, told the UN General Assembly on Tuesday, warning against potential boycott in the wake of the Taliban takeover.
- Colombia calls for global financial consensus to avert COVID debt crisis UN News 21 Sep 2021 -- The President of Colombia on Tuesday warned that many developing countries have increased their fiscal deficit to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic, putting at risk their financial capacity to act on other priorities, such as climate change.
- 76th General Assembly get underway at UN Headquarters in New York UN News 14 Sep 2021 -- The COVID-19 pandemic has proved to be the most challenging period the world has seen since the Second World War, said the UN Secretary-General on Tuesday â€“ as the 75th session of the General Assembly gave way to the new â€“ deepening inequalities, decimating economies and plunging millions into extreme poverty.
- Appointment of AntÃ³nio Guterres as UN Secretary-General for a Second Term US Dept. of State 18 Jun 2021 -- "On behalf of the United States, I am pleased to congratulate United Nations Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres on his re-appointment today by the General Assembly to serve a second term. Secretary-General Guterres has proven a capable leader in a demanding role."
- AntÃ³nio Guterres secures second term as UN Secretary-General, calls for new era of 'solidarity and equality' UN News 18 Jun 2021 -- AntÃ³nio Guterres was on Friday re-appointed to a second term as UN Secretary-General, pledging as his priority, to continue helping the world chart a course out of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- UN Chief Guterres Sworn In for Second Term VOA 18 Jun 2021 -- Antonio Guterres was sworn in Friday for a second 5-year term as U.N. Secretary-General after the General Assembly approved it by acclamation.
- UN elects five new members to serve on the Security Council UN News 11 Jun 2021 -- Albania, Brazil, Gabon, Ghana and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) were elected by the 75th session of the General Assembly on Friday to serve as non-permanent members of the UN Security Council for the 2022-2023 term.
- UN General Assembly Confirms 5 Countries to Security Council VOA 11 Jun 2021 -- The U.N. General Assembly voted Friday to give two-year terms on the powerful 15-nation Security Council to five countries.
- Security Council votes to reelect Guterres as UN chief for second term Press TV 08 Jun 2021 -- The United Nations Security Council has voted to reelect Antonio Guterres as the UN secretary general, assuring a second term for the Portuguese statesman that will keep him in office until 2027.
- AntÃ³nio Guterres nominated by Security Council for second term as UN chief UN News 08 Jun 2021 -- The Security Council has formally selected the current Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres as its nominee to serve a second five-year term in the UN's top job.
- Foreign Minister of Maldives elected next General Assembly President UN News 07 Jun 2021 -- The UN chief welcomed the election on Monday of Abdulla Shahid, Foreign Minister of the Maldives, as President-elect of the 76th session of the General Assembly.
- Security Council reforms must reflect 21st century realities, says UN Assembly President UN News 26 Jan 2021 -- The President of the General Assembly, on Monday, underscored the importance of effectiveness and efficiency for all bodies of the United Nations so that the Organization can deliver results for people everywhere.
- Guterres hails entry into force of treaty banning nuclear weapons UN News 22 Jan 2021 -- The first multilateral nuclear disarmament treaty in more than two decades, came into force just after midnight on Friday, hailed by the UN Secretary-General as "an important step towards a world free of nuclear weapons".
- International Treaty To Ban Nuclear Weapons Enters Into Force RFE/RL 22 Jan 2021 -- An international treaty banning nuclear weapons has come into force, but what the accord will actually achieve remains in doubt since nuclear powers are staying away from it.
- Treaty on Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons Goes Into Effect VOA 22 Jan 2021 -- United Nations Secretary General AntÃ³nio Guterres and The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement welcomed the entry into force Friday of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW), the first nuclear disarmament instrument in more than two decades.
- Political chief highlights crucial cooperation between UN and the Arab League UN News 18 Jan 2021 -- Cooperation between the United Nations and the League of Arab States has been critical to addressing the ongoing war in Syria, the search for a two-State solution for Israelis and Palestinians, and other challenges, the UN's political affairs chief told a virtual meeting of the Security Council on Monday.
- Guterres to seek second five-year term as UN Secretary-General UN News 11 Jan 2021 -- AntÃ³nio Guterres confirmed on Monday that he will be seeking a second five-year term as UN Secretary-General, which would begin in January 2022.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list