2013 United Nations News
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
- Peaceful pursuit, use of nuclear technology remains goal of UN atomic agency, says chief UN News Centre 05 Nov 2013 -- From helping developing countries provide cancer treatment to verifying the non-diversion of nuclear material for military purposes, the United Nations atomic watchdog agency continues to pursue its goal of promoting safe, secure and peaceful nuclear technologies.
- Working alongside UN in Syria, chemical weapons watchdog adapts to war, publicity UN News Centre 25 Oct 2013 -- After years of remarkable but largely unheralded success at ridding the world of mustard gas and deadly nerve agents like sarin and VX, inspectors from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) have now been thrown into entirely new territory – working amid Syria's bloody civil war and in the glare of the media following a surprise Nobel Peace Prize win two weeks ago.
- UN Members Elect 5 Countries to Security Council VOA 17 Oct 2013 -- Five countries have won two-year terms on the U.N. Security Council, including two potentially controversial countries.
- Ratification of treaty banning nuclear tests an international priority – UN chief UN News Centre 27 Sep 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today urged the international community speed up the entry into force of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), stressing it is indispensable to move forward on the disarmament agenda.
- At historic meeting, UN officials urge renewed efforts to rid world of nuclear threat UN News Centre 26 Sep 2013 -- Senior United Nations officials today called on Member States to take renewed steps to rid the world of nuclear weapons, during what was the first high-level meeting ever held by the General Assembly devoted to this issue.
- Top official calls on Iran, DPR Korea, to cooperate with UN atomic agency UN News Centre 09 Sep 2013 -- The head of the United Nations atomic energy agency today stressed the need for both Iran and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to cooperate in resolving outstanding issues regarding their nuclear activities.
- Citing ‘horrific’ human, environmental effects, UN officials urge global ban on nuclear tests UN News Centre 05 Sep 2013 -- United Nations senior officials repeated their call on Member States to take action to ban nuclear testing.
- Press Conference by Executive Secretary of Preparatory Commission for Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization, 04 September 2013 United Nations 04 Sep 2013
- Banning nuclear tests essential for global peace, says head of UN-backed treaty organization UN News Centre 04 Sep 2013 -- The new head of preparatory commission for a UN-backed treaty stressed that banning nuclear tests is essential for international peace and security.
- United Nations marks International Day against Nuclear Tests UN News Centre 29 Aug 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban called on all States that have not yet signed and ratified the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty to do so.
- More action needed to improve global nuclear security, urges UN atomic energy chief UN News Centre 01 Jul 2013 -- Countries should strengthen international cooperation to defend nuclear and other radioactive materials protected from misuse.
- UN chief renews call for entry into force of treaty banning nuclear tests UN News Centre 17 Jun 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban renewed his call for the earliest entry into force of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty.
- US Regrets Egypt Walk-Out at Nuclear Talks VOA 30 Apr 2013 -- The United States said it regretted Egypt's decision to walk out of U.N. talks on non-proliferation and still hoped all sides would agree to hold a conference on banning nuclear weapons in the Middle East.
- Nuclear ambitions of DPR Korea and Iran top agenda at UN-backed non-proliferation forum UN News Centre 22 Apr 2013 -- Tensions over Iran's nuclear programme and threats from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) dominated today's opening of the second preparatory conference of the parties to the United Nations-backed treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) in Geneva.
- Ghana to Build Nuclear Power Plant VOA 15 Apr 2013 -- Ghana is planning to build a nuclear plant for much-needed power generation.
- Ban calls for total elimination of chemical weapons within five years UN News Centre 08 Apr 2013 -- Warning that the fog of war must never again be composed of poison gas, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today appealed to the 188 States Parties to the United Nations-backed treaty outlawing chemical weapons to do all in their power to bring on board the eight nations that still have not signed on.
- Peaceful use of outer space at heart renewed UN efforts UN News Centre 08 Apr 2013 -- The United Nations pressed ahead today with efforts to insure that outer space is used solely for peaceful purpose and to counter the threat posed by space debris.
- Senior UN official urges confidence-building measures to counter global insecurity UN News Centre 01 Apr 2013 -- The United Nations disarmament chief urged Member States to build confidence and trust with each other by establishing and strengthening global norms.
- UN chief urges consensus on robust arms trade treaty as conference begins UN News Centre 18 Mar 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged participants of the United Nations Final Conference on the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) to conclude work by 28 March on a comprehensive instrument that would establish standards for international trade in conventional weapons.
- UN Arms Treaty Talks Resume VOA 18 Mar 2013 -- Negotiations begin again this week to reach an agreement on what could be a landmark U.N. treaty to regulate the multi-billion dollar global arms trade.
- IAEA Approves Amano's Reappointment RFE/RL 06 Mar 2013 -- The UN atomic agency's board of governors has approved giving Japanese Director-General Yukiya Amano a new four-year term without taking the issue to a vote.
- UN nuclear watchdog reports on Fukushima accident, Iran and DPR Korea UN News Centre 04 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations is working hard to help Japan deal with the consequences of the March 2011 nuclear power plant accident.
- Potential nuclear attack ‘devastating and catastrophic’, says senior UN humanitarian official UN News Centre 04 Mar 2013 -- Meeting to discuss what the international humanitarian community can realistically do to prepare for and to respond to the humanitarian impact of a nuclear weapon detonation.
- At opening of disarmament forum, Ban urges end to stalemate and resumption of talks UN News Centre 22 Jan 2013 -- As the 2013 session of the world's sole multilateral forum for disarmament negotiations opened in Geneva today, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged the body, which has failed to agree on its work programme for the past several years, to revive substantive talks without delay.
- World can no longer procrastinate on disarmament issues – Ban UN News Centre 18 Jan 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon issued a passionate call to countries to advance disarmament and non-proliferation of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons, as well as illegal arms.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|