18 January 2023 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- The total combat losses of the enemy from 24.02.22 to 18.01.23 Ukraine MOD 18 Jan 2023
- Russia Keeps Up Pressure In East As Ukraine Eyes More Advanced Weaponry RFE/RL 18 Jan 2023 -- Russian forces kept focusing their offensive efforts on Bakhmut in the eastern region of Donetsk, Ukraine's military has said, as Kyiv again urged its Western allies to speed up approval for the delivery of advanced heavy weaponry including modern tanks.
- I thank everyone who was involved in the rescue operation in Brovary today - address by the President of Ukraine President of Ukraine 18 Jan 2023
- Volodymyr Zelenskyy in Davos: It is important to keep Europe and the world united around support for Ukraine President of Ukraine 18 Jan 2023
- Mobilization of the world must outpace the next military mobilization of our joint enemy - address by the President of Ukraine at "Restoring Security and Peace" session during the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum President of Ukraine 18 Jan 2023
- President expresses condolences over the death of the leadership of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and civilians as a result of the helicopter crash in Brovary President of Ukraine 18 Jan 2023
- Supplies Of Modern Weapons To Ukraine Must Outpace Russian Attacks, Zelenskiy Tells Economic Forum RFE/RL 18 Jan 2023 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has told the World Economic Forum that Western supplies of tanks and air defense systems should come more quickly in order to outpace Russian attacks.
- Ukrainian, German presidents discuss defense issues People's Daily 18 Jan 2023 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Tuesday that he discussed defense issues with German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier during the meeting in the format of a video conference.
- Putin: Russia's military-industrial might makes Ukraine victory 'inevitable' Press TV 18 Jan 2023 -- President Vladimir Putin says Russia's powerful military-industrial complex is ramping up production amid the Ukraine war, and will make victory in war "inevitable."
- US, Germany Pressured to Send Tanks to Ukraine After Britain Breaks Taboo VOA 18 Jan 2023 -- Ukraine says the West must speed up the delivery of weapons as its troops come under increasing pressure from invading Russian forces, ahead of a key meeting of the Ukraine DÃ©fense Contact Group of NATO allies in Ramstein, Germany on Friday.
- Austin Arrives in Germany Focused on Efforts to Help Ukraine DoD News 18 Jan 2023 -- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III is meeting with his new German counterpart in Berlin as a prelude to the Ukraine Defense Contact Group meeting at Ramstein Air Base later this week.
- $125 Million for Support of Ukraine's Urgent Energy Systems Needs US Dept. of State 18 Jan 2023 -- The United States announced today that we will work with Congress to program an additional $125 million in funding to support Ukraine's energy and electricity grid against Russia's continued attacks on utilities and other civilian infrastructure.
- Report: US to Announce New Ukraine Military Aid Package on Friday With Stryker Vehicles Sputnik 18 Jan 2023 -- The US government will reportedly announce on Friday a new military assistance package for Ukraine that will include Stryker vehicles but not M1A2 Abrams tanks.
- White House Hints New Military Aid Package for Ukraine Coming by End of Week Sputnik 18 Jan 2023 -- The United States may announce a new aid package for Ukraine, which will include new deliveries of weapons, by the weekend, US National Security Council Coordinator for Strategic Communications John Kirby said on Wednesday.
- Pentagon Sending US Arms Stored in Israel to Ukraine, Reports Suggest Sputnik 18 Jan 2023 -- The US Department of Defense is tapping into a vast stockpile of US ammunition in Israel, which provides arms and ammunition for the Pentagon to use in Middle East conflicts, to help meet Ukraine's need for artillery shells in the conflict with Russia, American press reported citing US and Israeli officials.
- US quietly shipping ammunition to Ukraine from massive stockpile in Israel: Report Press TV 18 Jan 2023 -- A new report says the United States is quietly sending hundreds of thousands of artillery shells to Ukraine from the so-called American emergency stockpile in Israel, amid Russia's ongoing war with the former Soviet state.
- NATO Chiefs of Defence meet in Brussels NATO 18 Jan 2023 -- The Chair of the NATO Military Committee, Admiral Rob Bauer, and the NATO Deputy Secretary General, Mr. Mircea GeoanÄƒ, opened the first meeting of the NATO Military Committee in Chiefs of Defence Session of 2023 on Wednesday 18 January 2023. This meeting brings together the Allied Chiefs of Defence and their counterparts from Invitees Finland and Sweden.
- NATO Secretary General calls for more support to Ukraine at World Economic Forum NATO 18 Jan 2023 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg participated in the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos, Switzerland on Wednesday (18 January 2023), where he called for more support to Ukraine.
- Ukraine war: No chance for serious peace negotiations yet, says UN chief UN News 18 Jan 2023 -- The UN Secretary-General said on Wednesday that he did not believe that there was an opportunity yet, to organise "a serious peace negotiation" between the warring parties in Ukraine, nearly a year on from Russia's full-scale invasion.
- UN aims to boost aid to frontline areas of Ukraine; Black Sea grain exports near 18 million tonnes UN News 18 Jan 2023 -- The UN on Wednesday said that it aims to increase the number of inter-agency convoys providing aid to parts of Ukraine "close to the frontlines", in support of work being carried out by local organisations and volunteers.
- Russia's brutal war blatantly disregards OSCE principles and commitments: UK statement to the OSCE UK FCDO 18 Jan 2023 -- Ambassador Bush welcomes the incoming Bosnian FSC Chair and stresses the continued need to highlight the impact of Russia's brutal war against Ukraine.
- Australian troops deploy to train Ukrainian forces Australia DOD 18 Jan 2023 -- Australian soldiers depart Darwin for the United Kingdom this week to join partner nations in providing critical training to Ukrainian recruits.
- Minister Anand concludes productive visit to Ukraine Canada 18 Jan 2023
- Canada's Joly: Ottawa Summoned Russian Envoy to Condemn Dnepr Attacks Sputnik 18 Jan 2023 -- Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs Melanie Joly told reporters that Canadian officials summoned the Russian ambassador to condemn the recent incident in Dnepr, Ukraine, and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's comments.
- Dialogue only realistic way to resolve Ukraine crisis: Chinese envoy People's Daily 18 Jan 2023 -- A Chinese envoy said Tuesday that dialogue is the only realistic way to resolve the Ukraine crisis.
- Ukraine promised third Patriot missile system by Netherlands Press TV 18 Jan 2023 -- The Netherlands has announced plans to send a Patriot surface-to-air missile system to Ukraine â€” the war-hit country's third overall â€” to boost Ukrainian forces in the conflict with Russia.
- South Africa Criticized for Hosting Russian Warships Amid Ukraine War VOA 18 Jan 2023 -- South Africa plans to conduct joint military exercises with the Chinese and Russian navies off its east coast next month, despite the Kremlin's ongoing war on Ukraine. The opposition Democratic Alliance has slammed the decision, saying it means that contrary to its "neutral" stance on Russia's Ukraine war, South Africa's ruling African National Congress party has effectively sided with Moscow.
- At Least 14 Dead in Helicopter Crash, Including Ukrainian Interior Minister VOA 18 Jan 2023 -- A helicopter crash Wednesday outside of the Ukrainian capital killed at least 14 people, including Interior Minister Denys Monastyrskyi and several senior ministry officials in the aircraft and a child on the ground.
- Ukraine's interior minister killed in helicopter crash near Kiev Press TV 18 Jan 2023 -- Ukraine's Interior Minister Denis Monastyrsky has been killed, along with 15 other people, in a helicopter crash outside the Ukrainian capital, Kiev.
- Ukrainian Interior Ministry Leadership, Child Killed In Helicopter Crash Near Kyiv RFE/RL 18 Jan 2023 -- A Ukrainian helicopter has crashed near a kindergarten and a residential building just outside of Kyiv, leaving 14 dead, including Interior Minister Denys Monastyrskiy and other senior ministry officials, as well as one child in what President Volodymyr Zelenskiy called "a terrible tragedy."
- Russia-Ukraine conflict eyes more intensity as US-led NATO meeting focuses on supplying weapons rather than mediation Global Times 18 Jan 2023 -- Top leaders of the US-led NATO are holding in-person meetings from Wednesday to Thursday after military chiefs from the US and Ukraine met in Poland ahead of the meeting. This comes as Russia appointed a new commander of the "special military operation" in Ukraine and declared a military victory in Soledar in eastern Ukraine.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|