16 January 2023 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- The total combat losses of the enemy from 24.02.22 to 16.01.23 Ukraine MOD 16 Jan 2023
- Death Toll at 40 From Russian Missile Strike on Ukraine Apartment Building VOA 16 Jan 2023 -- Ukrainian officials said Monday the death toll from a Russian missile strike on an apartment building in Dnipro had risen to at least 40, with rescue crews still searching the rubble for any survivors.
- Fresh Attacks In Ukraine As Western Allies Consider Kyiv's Requests For Heavy Weaponry RFE/RL 16 Jan 2023 -- Ukrainian forces repelled fresh Russian attacks in the east, the Ukrainian military said on January 16, as Western allies debate whether to send aid such as heavy tanks that Kyiv has requested as it seeks to break through Russian lines.
- Strong explosions rock Ukrainian capital People's Daily 16 Jan 2023 -- Strong explosions rocked the Ukrainian capital on Saturday morning due to an apparent missile strike by Russian forces, authorities said.
- We work every day and night to reduce the enemy's potential - address by the President of Ukraine President of Ukraine 16 Jan 2023
- President of Ukraine had a meeting with OSCE Chairman-in-Office, Minister of Foreign Affairs of North Macedonia President of Ukraine 16 Jan 2023
- Andriy Yermak held a briefing for the U.S. delegation headed by Deputy Secretary of State President of Ukraine 16 Jan 2023
- President of Ukraine held a meeting of the Staff of the Supreme Commander-in-Chief President of Ukraine 16 Jan 2023
- Putin slams Kiev's 'destructive' policies, Western arms deliveries to Ukraine Press TV 16 Jan 2023 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has lambasted the Ukrainian government's "destructive" policies and growing Western arms supplies to Kiev as war in the former Soviet republic drags on for more than 300 days.
- Russia says tanks UK plans to send to Ukraine 'will burn' there Press TV 16 Jan 2023 -- Russia says the tanks Britain plans to send to Ukraine "will burn" there, warning the West against sending more advanced weapons to the ex-Soviet republic since such consignments will not "change" the outcome of the war.
- Kremlin on Dnepropetrovsk Building Collapse: Russian Military Not Striking Civilian Infrastructure Sputnik 16 Jan 2023 -- Russian military is not striking civilian building and infrastructure facilities in Ukraine and the cause of the collapse of a residential building in the city of Dnepropetrovsk was Kiev's interceptor missile, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Monday.
- Drone Shot Down Over Sevastopol Bay in Crimea, Governor Says Sputnik 16 Jan 2023 -- An unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) was shot down by air defense systems off the coast of the Russian city of Sevastopol in Crimea, Governor Mikhail Razvozhayev said.
- Belarus, Russia Start Joint Air Force Exercise Sputnik 16 Jan 2023 -- Belarus and Russia have started a joint flight and tactical exercise of aviation units in the regional group of troops to improve their operational compatibility, the Belarusian Defense Ministry said on Monday.
- Belarus says to hold joint 'defensive' air force drills with Russia, accusing Ukraine of 'provocation' Press TV 16 Jan 2023 -- Belarus and Russia's air forces are to start joint drills to prepare for possible combat missions, around two weeks after a Ukrainian missile entered the Belarusian airspace in what Minks denounced as a "provocation."
- Telephone conversation with President of Turkiye Recep Tayyip Erdogan President of Russia 16 Jan 2023 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the Republic of Turkiye Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Travel to Ukraine US Dept. of State 16 Jan 2023
- Readout of Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Dr. Colin Kahl's Travel to Ukraine DoD 16 Jan 2023
- US begins expanded training of 500 Ukrainian troops in Germany Press TV 16 Jan 2023 -- The US military has launched an expanded training program of Ukrainian troops in Germany, in an effort to get a battalion of about 500 troops back on the battlefield to fend off Russian forces in the next five to eight weeks.
- US Military Reportedly Starts Training Ukrainian Soldiers in Germany Sputnik 16 Jan 2023 -- In late November, US media reported that Washington is considering expanding its training of the Ukrainian military that may include drills for up to 2,500 troops monthly at an American base in Germany.
- Ukraine: Civilian attacks 'must end immediately' says UN, as search for Dnipro survivors continues UN News 16 Jan 2023 -- The UN Secretary-General has strongly condemned Russia's attack on a large residential building in the Ukrainian city of Dnipro at the weekend that has left at least 40 civilians dead, including three children, and at least 75 injured, with those figures likely to rise, according to the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in the country.
- IAEA Expanding Presence in Ukraine to Help Prevent Nuclear Accident During Conflict Sputnik 16 Jan 2023 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is expanding its presence in Ukraine to help prevent a nuclear accident during the conflict, IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi said on Monday.
- OSCE Chairman-in-Office Osmani completes visit to Kyiv, emphasizes continued destructive impact of Russia's war on Ukraine's people OSCE 16 Jan 2023 -- The OSCE Chairman-in-Office, Minister of Foreign Affairs of North Macedonia Bujar Osmani, completed his visit to Kyiv today.
- European Commission to Provide Ukraine With Up to $19.5Bln in 2023 Sputnik 16 Jan 2023 -- The European Commission has signed a memorandum of understanding to provide Ukraine with financing of up to 18 billion euros ($19.5 billion) in loans in 2023, with the first payment of 3 billion euros to follow later this week, Executive Vice President for An Economy that Works for People Valdis Dombrovskis said on Monday.
- Oral statement to Parliament - Defence Secretary oral statement on war in Ukraine UK MOD 16 Jan 2023 -- The Defence Secretary made a statement to Parliament updating members on the UK's continued programme of military aid to Ukraine, including Challenger 2 tanks.
- Germany's defense minister steps down after series of errors Press TV 16 Jan 2023 -- Germany's much-criticized Defense Minister Christine Lambrecht has resigned as her department was under pressure for supplying Ukraine with lethal package of armaments.
- Scholz Accepts Lambrecht's Resignation as Defense Minister Sputnik 16 Jan 2023 -- German Chancellor Olaf Scholz has accepted the resignation of Defense Minister Christine Lambrecht and will present a new candidate in a timely manner, Berlin said.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|