06 January 2023 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- The total combat losses of the enemy from 24.02.22 to 06.01.23 Ukraine MOD 06 Jan 2023
- Unilateral ceasefire ordered by Putin comes into force in Ukraine Press TV 06 Jan 2023 -- A brief ceasefire between the warring sides in Ukraine ordered by Russian President Vladimir Putin on Christmas Eve took effect early on Friday, Russian state television said, marking the first pause in the protracted war.
- Shelling Reported Along Front Line In Ukraine Despite Kremlin-Called Cease-Fire RFE/RL 06 Jan 2023 -- A Kremlin-declared truce in fighting in Ukraine for Orthodox Christmas has been broken by exchanges of artillery fire along the front line, including in the southern Ukrainian city of Kherson, where one person was killed, and the eastern region of Luhansk, according to Ukrainian officials.
- Kiev Continuing Shelling of Donbass While Russian Troops Observe Christmas Ceasefire: Russian MoD Sputnik 06 Jan 2023 -- The Russian military began observance of a 36-hour ceasefire regime in Ukraine at 12:00 noon on Friday, in accordance with a presidential decree. President Vladimir Putin ordered the ceasefire on Thursday after an appeal by Patriarch Kirill of the Russian Orthodox Church calling on "all parties in the internecine conflict" to silence their weapons.
- Ukrainian President Zelensky Rejects Russia's Christmas Truce Sputnik 06 Jan 2023 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Thursday rejected Moscow's offer for a ceasefire on Orthodox Christmas and called it a "cover-up" to strengthen frontline positions of Russia's armed forces.
- Ukraine says ceasefire with Russia possible only after troops withdrawal People's Daily 06 Jan 2023 -- Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak said Thursday that Kiev will agree on a ceasefire with Russia only after Russian troops are withdrawn from Ukraine.
- We've managed to bring Ukraine's strength, defense cooperation with partners to new level - address of President Volodymyr Zelenskyy President of Ukraine 06 Jan 2023
- President's greetings on Christmas President of Ukraine 06 Jan 2023
- Andriy Yermak holds briefing for US senators on countering full-scale Russian invasion President of Ukraine 06 Jan 2023
- Volodymyr Zelenskyy meets with US senators Jack Reed and Angus King President of Ukraine 06 Jan 2023
- President of Ukraine had a video call with Prime Minister of Sweden President of Ukraine 06 Jan 2023
- Ukraine's GDP plunges record 30.4 pct in 2022 People's Daily 06 Jan 2023 -- Ukraine's GDP declined by a record 30.4 percent last year due to the Russia-Ukraine conflict, the country's Economy Ministry said Thursday, citing preliminary estimates.
- Russia slams Germany's decision to send missiles, armored vehicles to Ukraine Press TV 06 Jan 2023 -- The Russian embassy in Berlin has condemned the German government's move to send armored vehicles and a Patriot missile system to Ukraine to fight Russian troops.
- Putin orders Christmas truce with Ukraine on Jan. 6-7 People's Daily 06 Jan 2023 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin instructed the country's Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu to start a 36-hour truce along the entire line of contact between the parties in Ukraine from Jan. 6 to 7, the Kremlin said Thursday.
- Fact Sheet on U.S. Security Assistance to Ukraine - January 6, 2023 DOD
- Pentagon Press Secretary Brigadier General Pat Ryder and Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense Laura K. Cooper Hold a Press Briefing DoD 06 Jan 2023
- More Than $3 Billion in Additional Security Assistance for Ukraine DoD 06 Jan 2023 -- Today, the Department of Defense (DoD) announces the Biden Administration's commitment of $3.075 billion in additional security assistance for Ukraine. This includes the authorization of a Presidential Drawdown of security assistance valued at up to $2.85 billion to meet Ukraine's critical security and defense needs, as well as the Department of State's announcement of $225 million in Foreign Military Financing to contribute to the long-term capacity and modernization of Ukraine's military.
- U.S. $3 Billion Military Package to Ukraine Looks to Change Battlefield Dynamics DoD News 06 Jan 2023 -- DOD officials unveiled the more than $3 billion package of military capabilities to help Ukraine drive the Russian invaders from their soil.
- Memorandum on Delegation of Authority Under Section 506(a)(1) of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961 The White House 06 Jan 2023
- More Than $3.75 Billion in U.S. Military Assistance to Ukraine and Countries Impacted by Russia's Brutal War US Dept. of State 06 Jan 2023 -- In this first week of 2023, the United States continues to stand strongly behind Ukraine and our European allies and partners by announcing more than $3.75 billion in new military assistance.
- US Announces More Than $3B in Military Aid to Ukraine VOA 06 Jan 2023 -- The United States will provide a military aid package worth more than $3 billion to Ukraine and other countries affected by Russia's invasion of Ukraine, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced Friday.
- US to Send 'Tank-Killer' Fighting Vehicle to Ukraine VOA 06 Jan 2023 -- The Biden administration this week announced that the U.S. would provide advanced Bradley Fighting Vehicles to Ukraine for use in its fight against Russia's invasion, a move that experts said would make a significant though not decisive difference in the conflict.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Call With Ukrainian Minister of Defence Oleksii Reznikov DoD 06 Jan 2023
- US announces nearly $4 billion in new military aid for Ukraine Press TV 06 Jan 2023 -- The administration of US President Joe Biden has announced a new military aid package for Ukraine worth three billion dollars and nearly 700 million in Foreign Military Financing to European partner countries and allies "to help incentivize and backfill donations of military equipment to Ukraine," deepening its involvement in the war in defiance of repeated warnings by Russia.
- Howitzers & RIM-7 Missiles: US to Provide Over $3 Billion in New Military Assistance to Ukraine Sputnik 06 Jan 2023 -- The United States will provide an additional $3 billion in military assistance to Ukraine, White House spokesperson Karine Jean-Pierre said on Friday.
- Pentagon: US Exploring Variety of Locations for Training Ukrainian Forces on Patriot System Sputnik 06 Jan 2023 -- The Biden administration is still working out the details of the Patriot missile systems training for Ukrainian military personnel and exploring both locations inside the United States and overseas, Defense Department Press Secretary Pat Ryder said during a press briefing.
- Update 139 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 06 Jan 2023 -- A 330 kilovolt (kV) back-up power line to Ukraine's Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP), that was disconnected last week due to damage caused by shelling, has still not been restored underlining further the facility's fragile supplies of electricity from the grid, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Rafael Mariano Grossi said today.
- Ukraine: High Representative/Vice-President Josep Borrell and Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba discuss the latest development in Ukraine European External Action Service (EEAS) 06 Jan 2023 -- On Friday 6 January High Representative/Vice-President Josep Borrell had a phone call with Ukrainian Foreign Affairs Minister Dmytro Kuleba to discuss the latest developments on the ground following Russia's intensified missile and drone attacks on critical infrastructure, including residential buildings, over the recent weeks.
- Ukraine: Lambrecht coordinates with Austin on fighting vehicles and air defence Germany - Federal Ministry of Defence 06 Jan 2023 -- In her first international telephone conference of the new year, Defence Minister Lambrecht talked with US Secretary of Defence Lloyd Austin today, discussing, among other things, the current war situation in Ukraine and how to coordinate further military support for Ukraine's defensive war, specifically regarding infantry fighting vehicles (IFVs) and the Patriot surface-to-air missile defence system, in preparation of the upcoming meeting of the Ukraine Defence Contact Group on 20 January 2023.
- How Viktor Orban Tried To Numb 10 Million Hungarians To Putin's War Next Door RFE/RL 06 Jan 2023 -- In October, as autumn set in and Russia intensified its bombing of Ukraine's civilian power grid to torment and freeze Ukrainians into submission, the government in neighboring Hungary was mobilizing against an enemy of its own.
- Marders, Leopards, Abrams, Bradleys: What's All This New Western Weaponry Being Sent, Or Not Sent, To Ukraine? RFE/RL 06 Jan 2023 -- In a flurry of announcements, some of Ukraine's major Western allies pledged this week to send advanced armored combat vehicles to help Kyiv in its fight against Russia's invasion.
- Battlefield stalemate 'likely to continue' as Ukraine rejects Russia's truce proposal amid West's weapons aid Global Times 06 Jan 2023 -- The Russia-Ukraine stalemate on the battlefield is likely to continue along with the damage to people's lives and economy, Chinese experts warned on Friday, after Ukraine dismissed Russia's 36-hour ceasefire offer over Orthodox Christmas, at a time when US and its NATO allies announced they would send armored fighting vehicles to Ukraine.
- US sanctions target Iranian drone manufacturer Press TV 06 Jan 2023 -- The US imposes new sanctions against Iran, this time targeting an Iranian unmanned aerial vehicles manufacturer under the unsubstantiated and disproven pretext that the Islamic Republic has provided Russia with the UAVs to be used by Moscow against Ukraine.
- U.S. Imposes Fresh Sanctions On Six Individuals Tied To Iranian Drone Production RFE/RL 06 Jan 2023 -- The United States has issued new sanctions targeting six individuals linked to Iranian drone manufacturer Quds Aviation Industries, a key defense manufacturer responsible for the design and production of drones used by Russia in its war against Ukraine, the U.S. Treasury Department said on January 6.
- US Imposes Sanctions Targeting Iranian UAV, Ballistic Missile Industries Sputnik 06 Jan 2023 -- The US Treasury designated on Friday six executives of Iranian defense manufacturer Qods Aviation Industries (QAI) and the director of Iran's Aerospace Industries Organization (AIO) for alleged drone deliveries to Russia and the development of the nation's ballistic missile program, according to a release.
- New Sanctions Targeting Iran's UAV and Ballistic Missile Industries US Dept. of State 06 Jan 2023 -- The United States has designated seven individuals in leadership positions with Qods Aviation Industries (QAI), an Iranian defense manufacturer responsible for the design and production of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), and of Iran's Aerospace Industries Organization (AIO), the main organization responsible for overseeing Iran's ballistic missile programs.
- Treasury Sanctions Suppliers of Iranian UAVs Used to Target Ukraine's Civilian Infrastructure US Treasury 06 Jan 2023 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) is designating six executives and board members of U.S. designated Qods Aviation Industries (QAI), a key Iranian defense manufacturer responsible for the design and production of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). Iran has transferred these UAVs for use in Russia's unprovoked war of aggression in Ukraine. OFAC is also updating QAI's entry on the Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List (SDN List) to include its new alias, Light Airplanes Design and Manufacturing Industries. Finally, OFAC is designating the director of Iran's Aerospace Industries Organization (AIO), the key organization responsible for overseeing Iran's ballistic missile programs.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|