Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
12 October 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Statement of President Joe Biden on the United Nations General Assembly Vote Condemning Russia's Illegal Attempts to Annex Ukrainian Territory The White House 12 Oct 2022
- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark A. Milley Hold a Press Conference Following the Ukraine Defense Contact Group Meeting Oct. 12, 2022 Brussels, Belgium DoD 12 Oct 2022
- Opening Remarks by Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III at the Sixth Ukraine Defense Contact Group (As Delivered) DoD 12 Oct 2022
- Austin: Resolve of Ukraine's Allies Strengthened Amid Russian 'Atrocities' DoD News 12 Oct 2022 -- Russia's latest attacks in Ukraine have shown the "malice and cruelty" of Russian President Vladimir Putin's "war of choice," and have strengthened the resolve among Ukraine's allies in their support of Kyiv, Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III said today in Brussels.
- Allies Are Unified in Support for Ukraine Ahead of NATO Meetings, Defense Official Says DoD News 12 Oct 2022 -- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III meets with allies at NATO headquarters in Belgium this week to discuss the continued support for the defense of Ukraine, amid Russia's unprovoked invasion and recent attacks against civilian targets and infrastructure, according to a defense official.
- Ukraine's Battlefield Gains 'Extraordinary,' Changed Conflict Dynamics, Austin Tells Allies RFE/RL 12 Oct 2022 -- Ukraine's recent military victories against the Russian invaders have been "extraordinary" and influenced the course of the war despite the "malice and cruelty" of Moscow's latest missile strikes, U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has told a meeting at NATO headquarters in Brussels.
- U.S. Treasury Secretary Calls On Ukraine's Allies To Quickly Disburse Promised Funding RFE/RL 12 Oct 2022 -- U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen has called on Ukraine's partners and allies to fulfill their commitments to support the country ahead of a meeting with Ukrainian Finance Minister Serhiy Marchenko.
- Remarks by Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen at the Second Ministerial Roundtable Discussion for Support to Ukraine US Treasury 12 Oct 2022
- NATO Looking to Bolster Ukraine's Air Defenses VOA 12 Oct 2022 -- NATO defense ministers Wednesday discussed ways to bolster Ukraine's air defense systems to combat the barrage of missiles Russia has been launching this week on targets throughout Ukraine.
- Update 117 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 12 Oct 2022 -- External power has been restored to Ukraine's Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP), a few hours after its connection to the grid was cut for a second time in less than a week, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said today.
- Update 116 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 12 Oct 2022 -- Ukraine's Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP) lost all external power for a second time in less than a week today, further underlining the precarious nuclear safety and security situation at the facility and the need for urgent action to protect it during the current military conflict, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said.
- UN Nuclear Watchdog Says Power Restored At Zaporizhzhya Plant, Situation 'Precarious' RFE/RL 12 Oct 2022 -- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief Rafael Grossi says power has been restored at the Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant in Ukraine after the second outage in five days highlighted the "precarious" situation concerning the station's nuclear safety and security functions.
- Ukraine: UN General Assembly demands Russia reverse course on 'attempted illegal annexation' UN News 12 Oct 2022 -- The UN General Assembly passed a resolution by a large majority on Wednesday, calling on countries not to recognise the four regions of Ukraine which Russia has claimed, following so-called referendums held late last month, and demanding that Moscow reverse course on its "attempted illegal annexation".
- UN General Assembly Rejects Russia's 'Referendums,' 'Annexation' in Ukraine VOA 12 Oct 2022 -- The international community sent a clear message to Moscow on Wednesday, declaring the country's so-called referendums and attempted annexation of parts of Ukraine illegal and invalid under international law.
- UN General Assembly Condemns Russia's 'Illegal Annexation' Of Ukrainian Regions RFE/RL 12 Oct 2022 -- The UN General Assembly has overwhelmingly condemned Russia's proclaimed annexation of four Ukrainian regions in eastern and southern Ukraine.
- UN General Assembly Resolution Condemning Russia's Attempted Annexation of Ukraine's Territory US Dept. of State 12 Oct 2022 -- "Today's remarkable vote at the United Nations General Assembly is a powerful reminder that the overwhelming majority of nations stand with Ukraine, in defense of the UN Charter, and in resolute opposition to Russia's ongoing war against Ukraine and its people."
- UN General Assembly vote on Ukraine: Foreign Secretary's statement UK FCDO 12 Oct 2022 -- Foreign Secretary James Cleverly has said today's vote on Ukraine at the UN General Assembly shows that Putin stands alone on the international stage.
- G7 Finance Ministers and Central Bank GovernorsÂ´ Statement on the global economic impact of RussiaÂ´s war of aggression against Ukraine and G7 support to Ukraine US Treasury 12 Oct 2022 -- "We, the G7 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors, met in Washington D.C. We were honoured to be joined by the Ukrainian Finance Minister. We were also joined by the Heads of the International Monetary Fund, World Bank Group, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, and Financial Stability Board."
- Another â‚¬550 million from the EIB Group supported by an EU guarantee reaches Ukraine for immediate assistance European Commission 12 Oct 2022 -- The European Investment Bank (EIB), the European Union's bank, has this week disbursed the remaining â‚¬550 million of the â‚¬1.05 billion immediate assistance to Ukraine. The first tranches (â‚¬500 million) were paid out on 14 September. This â‚¬1.05 billion of immediate assistance is part of the â‚¬1.59 billion package of the Ukraine Solidarity Urgent Response.
- France To Deliver Air-Defense Systems To Ukraine, Macron Says RFE/RL 12 Oct 2022 -- French President Emmanuel Macron says France will supply air-defense systems to Ukraine following a wave of air strikes by Russia this week that he said aimed "to shatter Ukrainian resistance."
- Brussels Meetings Focus on Ukraine's Defense Need VOA 12 Oct 2022 -- Ukraine's defense minister is set to brief the latest meeting of the U.S.-led Ukraine Defense Contact Group in Brussels on Wednesday, with NATO defense ministers also meeting there to discuss how to support Ukraine in its battle against a Russian invasion.
- Putin is losing on the battlefield: UK statement to the OSCE UK FCDO 12 Oct 2022 -- Ian Stubbs (UK delegation to the OSCE) stresses that, when Putin is losing on the battlefield, he takes the war to the Ukrainian people instead.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list