Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
30 September 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Statement from President Biden on Russia's Attempts to Annex Ukrainian Territory The White House 30 Sep 2022
- Under Secretary of Defense (Acquisition and Sustainment) LaPlante and Deputy Under Secretary of Defense (Policy) Baker Hold a Media Roundtable on the Recent Meeting of the National Armaments Directors Under the Auspices of the Ukraine Defense Contract Group DoD 30 Sep 2022
- Standardized Materiel Could Bolster Ukraine's Defense, Says Official DoD News 30 Sep 2022 -- With the aim of providing long-term support to Ukraine, allies and partners recognize the importance of standardizing systems and munitions, thereby creating more interchangeable and interoperable systems, Undersecretary of Defense for Acquisition and Sustainment William A. LaPlante said.
- Imposing Swift and Severe Costs in Response to Russia's Violations of Ukraine's Sovereignty US Dept. of State 30 Sep 2022 -- The United States unequivocally rejects Russia's fraudulent attempt to change Ukraine's internationally recognized borders, including by holding sham "referenda" in Ukraine's Luhansk, Donetsk, Kherson, and Zaporizhzhya regions.
- Statement by Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen on Passage of Additional Economic Assistance for Ukraine US Treasury 30 Sep 2022 -- Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen issued the following statement on passage of the Continuing Appropriations and Ukraine Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2023
- U.S. Responds To Putin's Seizure Of Ukrainian Regions By Piling On Sanctions RFE/RL 30 Sep 2022 -- The United States slapped more sanctions on individual Russians on September 30 after Russian President Vladimir Putin signed what Russia called "accession treaties" to formally seize occupied regions of Ukraine.
- Treasury Imposes Swift and Severe Costs on Russia for Putin's Purported Annexation of Regions of Ukraine US Treasury 30 Sep 2022 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated 14 persons in Russia's military-industrial complex, including two international suppliers, three key leaders of Russia's financial infrastructure, immediate family members of some of senior Russian officials, and 278 members of Russia's legislature for enabling Russia's sham referenda and attempt to annex sovereign Ukrainian territory. In addition, OFAC issued new guidance that warns of the heightened sanctions risk that international actors outside of Russia would face for providing political or economic support to Russia as a result of its illegal attempts to change the status of Ukrainian territory.
- Russia vetoes Security Council resolution condemning attempted annexation of Ukraine regions UN News 30 Sep 2022 -- Russia on Friday vetoed a Security Council resolution which described its attempts to unlawfully annex four regions of Ukraine earlier in the day with a formal ceremony in Moscow, as "a threat to international peace and security", demanding that the decision be immediately and unconditionally reversed.
- Update 109 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 30 Sep 2022 -- A landmine explosion has damaged a low-voltage electrical cable near Ukraine's Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP), the latest in a series of such detonations this week that have further added to grave concerns about nuclear safety and security at the plant, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said today.
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on the Illegal Annexation of Sovereign Ukrainian Territory US Dept. of State 30 Sep 2022 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America, and the High Representative of the European Union.
- Council of Europe leaders condemn the illegal annexation of occupied territories of Ukraine Council of Europe 30 Sep 2022 -- Ireland's Minister for Foreign Affairs and Chair of the Council of Europe's Committee of Ministers, Simon Coveney, the President of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, Tiny Kox, and the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Marija PejÄinoviÄ BuriÄ, have made the following statement:
- Statement by the Members of the European Council EC/CEU 30 Sep 2022 -- "We firmly reject and unequivocally condemn the illegal annexation by Russia of Ukraine's Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhzhia and Kherson regions."
- OSCE Chairman-in-Office Rau, Parliamentary Assembly President Cederfelt, OSCE Secretary General Schmid and OSCE PA Secretary General Montella condemn Russia's illegal annexation of Ukrainian territory OSCE 30 Sep 2022 -- The OSCE Chairman-in-Office, Polish Foreign Minister Zbigniew Rau, OSCE Parliamentary Assembly President Margareta Cederfelt (MP, Sweden), OSCE Secretary General Helga Maria Schmid, and OSCE Parliamentary Assembly Secretary General Roberto Montella, unanimously and categorically condemn the Russian Federation's illegal annexation of territory in the Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhzhia and Kherson oblasts of Ukraine, as well as the continued occupation of Crimea.
- No: 300, 30 September 2022, Press Release Regarding Russia's Annexation of Some Regions of Ukraine Republic of Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs 30 Sep 2022 -- "TÃ¼rkiye did not recognize Russia's annexation of Crimea in an illegitimate referendum in 2014 and has emphasized its strong support to Ukraine's territorial integrity, independence and sovereignty on every occasion."
- Russia's veto doesn't change the facts: UK statement at the UN Security Council vote to condemn illegal referenda in Ukraine UK FCDO 30 Sep 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward speaking after Russia used its veto to block a Security Council resolution condemning its illegal referenda in Ukraine
- Sanctions in response to Putin's illegal annexation of Ukrainian regions UK FCDO 30 Sep 2022 -- UK to implement services sanctions and export ban that target Russian economic vulnerabilities in response to Putin's illegal annexation of Ukrainian regions.
- Defence Secretary meets Ukrainian counterpart in Kyiv UK MOD 30 Sep 2022 -- Ben Wallace travelled to Ukraine to discuss the UK's ongoing support and the next steps as Ukraine battles to free itself from Russia's invasion
- Taiwan slams Russia for referendums in Ukrainian regions CNA 30 Sep 2022 -- Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) on Friday condemned Russia for its annexation of Ukrainian territory after holding "fake" referendums last week, while also strongly protesting against Russia's military actions in Ukraine since invading it earlier this year.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list