Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
24 August 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 18.00, on August 24, 2022 Ukraine MOD 24 Aug 2022
- The total combat losses of the enemy from 24.02 to 24.08 Ukraine MOD 24 Aug 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 06.00, on August 24, 2022 Ukraine MOD 24 Aug 2022
- Ukraine Marks Independence Day Six Months Into Russia's Invasion RFE/RL 24 Aug 2022 -- Ukrainians have celebrated 31 years of independence from the Soviet Union, and also marked six months since Russia invaded the country, in an ongoing conflict that has killed tens of thousands of people, devastated Ukraine's economy, and turned Russia into a virtual pariah state.
- At Least 22 Killed In Russian Rocket Attack On Ukrainian Railway Station, Zelenskiy Says RFE/RL 24 Aug 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has accused of Russia of launching a missile strike that hit the Chaplyne railway station in the southern Dnipropetrovsk region, killing at least 22 people and wounding more than 50.
- Russia Says Two Workers At Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Plant Detained For Passing Info To Ukraine RFE/RL 24 Aug 2022 -- Russian authorities say that they have detained two workers at Ukraine's Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant, where international officials have voiced alarm that fighting could result in a catastrophic accident.
- Russia-Appointed Official In Ukraine Killed In Car Bombing RFE/RL 24 Aug 2022 -- The Moscow-appointed mayor of the Russia-occupied Ukrainian town of Mykhaylivka, Ivan Sushko, has been killed by a car bomb.
- Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Dr. Colin Kahl Holds a Press Briefing on Security Assistance in Support of Ukraine DoD 24 Aug 2022
- Fact Sheet on U.S. Security Assistance to Ukraine - August 24, 2022 DOD
- Statement from President Biden on Ukraine Independence Day The White House 24 Aug 2022
- US Announces Largest-Ever, $3B Ukraine Aid Package as War Hits 6-Month Mark VOA 24 Aug 2022 -- The White House announced its largest-ever security assistance package for Ukraine on Wednesday â€” six months to the day since Russia invaded â€” with a $3 billion commitment that brings the U.S. price tag for this 184-day conflict to $13.6 billion.
- Biden Praises Ukraine's 'Extraordinary Courage,' Sends New Military Aid VOA 24 Aug 2022 -- President Joe Biden on Wednesday praised the "extraordinary courage and dedication to freedom" of the Ukrainian people in fending off Russian fighters, six months into Moscow's invasion, while demonstrating continued U.S. support for Kyiv's forces with nearly $3 billion in new military aid.
- Nearly $3 Billion in Additional Security Assistance for Ukraine DoD 24 Aug 2022 -- On August 24, the Department of Defense (DoD) announced approximately $3 billion in additional security assistance for Ukraine under the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative (USAI).
- Aid Package Is Proof Putin Can't 'Wait Out' Ukraine, Partners DoD News 24 Aug 2022 -- The $2.98 billion package of military capabilities for Ukraine that President Joe Biden announced today is meant to demonstrate America's commitment to the beleaguered nation and prove to Russian President Vladimir Putin that he cannot outlast the determination of Ukraine and the West in opposing Russia's brutal invasion.
- U.S. Announces $2.98 Billion in Aid to Ukraine DoD News 24 Aug 2022 -- On the 31st anniversary of Ukraine's independence, the United States is reinforcing its long-term commitment to the nation with $2.98 billion to train and equip the Ukrainian armed forces for their struggle against the Russian invasion.
- Biden Pledges Nearly $3 Billion To Ukraine In Largest U.S. Military Aid Package Yet RFE/RL 24 Aug 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden has announced nearly $3 billion in new U.S. military aid for Kyiv as Ukraine marked its independence day six months after Russia invaded the country.
- Biden Announces $2.98 Bln in New Military Aid for Kiev to Mark Nation's Independence Day Sputnik 24 Aug 2022 -- Ukraine has already received tens of billions in security and economic assistance from the US and its NATO allies over the past six months, with new aid announced regularly, notwithstanding recent reporting that as little as 30 percent of the military support actually reaches the front lines.
- The Kremlin's Illegitimate Tribunals in Mariupol US Dept. of State 24 Aug 2022 -- "By planning to hold so-called "tribunals" in Russia-controlled Mariupol against Ukraine's brave defenders, the Kremlin is attempting to deflect responsibility for President Putin's war of aggression and distract from overwhelming evidence of the atrocities Russian forces have committed in Ukraine."
- Ukraine's Independence Day US Dept. of State 24 Aug 2022 -- "On behalf of the United States of America, I congratulate the people of Ukraine on their Independence Day, the commemoration of the date in 1991 when Ukraine officially left the Soviet Union and became a sovereign, democratic country."
- US to announce additional $3 bln. in military aid for Ukraine Press TV 24 Aug 2022 -- The United States plans to announce an additional roughly $3 billion in military aid for Ukraine amid Russia's ongoing military operation in the ex-Soviet republic.
- OSCE Chairman-in-Office calls on Russian Federation to immediately stop war against Ukraine, stresses civilian population must be protected OSCE 24 Aug 2022 -- Six months since the start of the 24 February Russian war against Ukraine, OSCE Chairman-in-Office, Foreign Minister of Poland Zbigniew Rau today renewed his call on the Russian Federation to immediately put an end to the unprovoked violence and stop the tragic suffering and loss of life it continues to cause.
- PACE President marks Ukraine's independence day: 'Ukraine needs Europe, and Europe needs Ukraine' Council of Europe 24 Aug 2022 -- PACE President Tiny Kox, in a message to mark the 31st anniversary of the independence of Ukraine, has again pledged the Council of Europe's full support in the coming months and years, adding: "Ukraine needs Europe, and Europe needs Ukraine".
- Statement on Ukraine's Independence Day Canada 24 Aug 2022 -- The Honourable MÃ©lanie Joly, Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Honourable Harjit S. Sajjan, Minister of International Development and Minister responsible for the Pacific Economic Development Agency of Canada,andthe Honourable Anita Anand, Minister of National Defence, today issued the following statement:
- Statement by the Prime Minister on Ukrainian Independence Day Prime Minister of Canada 24 Aug 2022 -- The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today issued the following statement on Ukrainian Independence Day:
- War in Ukraine - Military support for Ukraine Germany Federal Foreign Office 24 Aug 2022 -- Germany provides support for Ukraine by supplying equipment and weapons, these come from supplies of the Federal Arms Forces and from deliveries from industry financed from the Federal Government's funds for security capacity building. An overview.
- Finland continued to support Ukraine through civilian material assistance during the summer Finnish Government 24 Aug 2022 -- On 8 July, Finland sent medical supplies and radiation safety equipment to Ukraine, and on 2 August, rescue service supplies, such as stretchers, defibrillators, first-aid kits and protective equipment. The material assistance was provided through the EU's Civil Protection Mechanism.
- The President: Crimea must and will be returned to Ukraine President of the Republic of Lithuania 24 Aug 2022 -- On Tuesday, President Gitanas NausÄ—da participated remotely in the Second Summit of the Crimea Platform, a diplomatic initiative of Ukraine to draw the attention of the international community to Russia's illegal annexation of Crimea in 2014.
- Norwegian-developed drone to Ukraine Government of Norway 24 Aug 2022 -- Norway and Great Britain are joining forces to acquire the Norwegian micro-drone Black Hornet as a donation to Ukraine.
- Norway, UK to Donate Black Hornet Micro-Drones to Ukraine, Defense Ministry Says Sputnik 24 Aug 2022 -- Norway and the United Kingdom will provide Ukraine with several Norwegian-made Black Hornet micro-drones as part of a joint aid package, the Norwegian defense ministry said on Wednesday.
- Ukraine has inspired the world with its courage and defiance against brutality: UK statement at the Security Council UK FCDO 24 Aug 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador James Kariuki at the Security Council briefing on Ukraine
- Russia's continued war increases collective outrage: UK statement to the OSCE UK FCDO 24 Aug 2022 -- Ambassador Bush reaffirms UK's commitment to use all tools available to ensure that Ukraine succeeds in the face of Putin's unprovoked and unjustified war.
- Prime Minister tells Ukraine "they will win" as he marks Independence Day: 24 August 2022 Gov.UK 24 Aug 2022 -- The Prime Minister travelled to Kyiv in a show of strength and solidarity with Ukraine.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list