16 August 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- The total combat losses of the enemy from 24.02 to 16.08 Ukraine MOD 16 Aug 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 06.00, on August 16, 2022 Ukraine MOD 16 Aug 2022
- Russians Blame 'Sabotage' For Blasts At Crimean Ammo Depot; Kyiv Hints At Role RFE/RL 16 Aug 2022 -- A Russian ammunition storage unit in northern Crimea has exploded, Russia's Defense Ministry said, injuring at least two people and prompting the evacuation of thousands of nearby residents. The ministry blamed the blast on sabotage.
- Military Supply Depot in Crimea Damaged in Sabotage Attack, Russian Military Says Sputnik 16 Aug 2022 -- A massive fire broke out at an ammunition storage area near the town of Dzhankoy, northern Crimea on Tuesday, causing a series of explosions, with fires spreading to nearby civilian infrastructure, including an electricity substation. Ukrainian presidential advisor Mykhailo Podolyak hinted that the explosions were no accident.
- Large-Scale Explosions Rock Russian Ammo Depot in Crimea VOA 16 Aug 2022 -- Massive explosions rocked a military depot in the Russian-occupied Crimean Peninsula in Ukraine on Tuesday, igniting fires and forcing the evacuation of more than 3,000 people.
- Ammunition Detonated in Crimea as Result of Fire, Russian MoD Says Sputnik 16 Aug 2022 -- A fire broke out at a fenced ammunition storage area in the Maiskoye village in Crimea's Dzhankoy district on Tuesday morning, the Russian defense ministry said.
- Active work continues on recommendations on security guarantees for Ukraine - Andriy Yermak President of Ukraine 16 Aug 2022
- Ukraine Urges New Sanctions Amid Power Plant Shelling Worries VOA 16 Aug 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy called for fresh sanctions against Russia's nuclear sector amid concerns about shelling at the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant in southern Ukraine.
- In Call With Macron, Zelenskiy Condemns 'Russia's Nuclear Terrorism' RFE/RL 16 Aug 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has decried "Russia's nuclear terrorism" in a phone call on August 16 with his French counterpart, as Ukrainian and international nuclear experts continue to demand greater safeguards against catastrophe at the occupied Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant in southeastern Ukraine.
- For us to expel the occupiers from Ukraine, every day must make it more and more difficult for Russia to wage a war - address by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy President of Ukraine 16 Aug 2022
- Russia says has 'no need' to use nuclear weapons in Ukraine Press TV 16 Aug 2022 -- Russia has dismissed media speculations about a possible deployment of nuclear or chemical weapons in Ukraine, saying Moscow has "no need" to use its nuclear arsenal to achieve its goals in the conflict.
- Putin accuses US of 'trying to prolong Ukraine war, destabilize region' Press TV 16 Aug 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has accused the United States of attempting to prolong the conflict in Ukraine and seeking to destabilize the Asia-Pacific region, in a reference to the US interference in Taiwan.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Call With Ukrainian Minister of Defence Oleksii Reznikov DoD 16 Aug 2022
- Additional U.S. Contribution to the World Food Programme US Dept. of State 16 Aug 2022 -- "We announced today that, through USAID's continued partnership with the World Food Programme (WFP), the U.S. Government will contribute more than $68 million to support the procurement, transport, and storage of up to 150,000 metric tons of Ukrainian wheat to address acute food insecurity."
- UN Chief, Ukrainian and Turkish Presidents to Meet VOA 16 Aug 2022 -- The United Nations said Tuesday that Secretary-General Antonio Guterres will meet Thursday in western Ukraine with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- UN's Guterres To Meet With Zelenskiy, Erdogan In Ukraine This Week RFE/RL 16 Aug 2022 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres will meet with the Ukrainian and Turkish presidents in Ukraine on August 18 and visit a Ukrainian Black Sea port the following day that has resumed shipments of grain exports halted by Russia's five-month-old invasion.
- WFP: First Ukrainian humanitarian grain shipment leaves for Horn of Africa UN News 16 Aug 2022 -- The first vessel transporting Ukrainian wheat grain to support humanitarian operations run by the World Food Programme (WFP) has left the port of Yuzhny, also known as Pivdennyi, the UN agency reported on Tuesday.
- French, Ukrainian Leaders Discuss Nuclear Crisis; Zelenskiy Alleges Russian 'Nuclear Terrorism' RFE/RL 16 Aug 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has decried "Russia's nuclear terrorism" in a phone call on August 16 with his French counterpart, as Ukrainian and international nuclear experts continue to demand greater safeguards against catastrophe at the occupied Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant in southeastern Ukraine.
- War And Water: Shortages, Attacks Augment Health Risks On Ukraine's Front Lines RFE/RL 16 Aug 2022 -- When Russia launched its massive invasion of Ukraine on February 24, the residents of Myrnohrad knew what they needed to do -- start digging.
- 'Escalation?...The Russians Have Already Escalated': Former Estonian Spy Chief On Why The West Should Continue To Support Ukraine RFE/RL 16 Aug 2022 -- Politico dubbed him the "Baltic James Bond" for his spy past and an ascribed willingness to "move in shadows and operate on the edge."
- After Going Dark, Ship With Ukrainian Corn Appears In Syrian Port RFE/RL 16 Aug 2022 -- The first ship to have left Ukraine under a UN- and Turkish-brokered deal two weeks ago to resume food and fertilizer exports amid the Russia-Ukraine war was said by a shipping source and satellite data to have docked early on August 16 in the Syrian port city of Tartus.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|