30 June 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Russia Retreats from Ukraine's Snake Island VOA 30 Jun 2022 -- Russia's defense ministry said Thursday it had retreated from Ukraine's Snake Island, which had become a symbol of Ukrainian resistance since Moscow's invasion four months ago.
- Ukraine Takes Control Of Snake Island, Fighting Rages In Lysychansk RFE/RL 30 Jun 2022 -- Ukraine says its forces have forced Russian troops off Snake Island in the Black Sea, a claim Russia denied with Moscow calling it a withdrawal of its forces as a "gesture of goodwill" to show the country isn't impeding efforts to allow the export of agricultural products.
- Ukraine Says It Has Retaken Infamous Snake Island; Russia Says It Withdrew For 'Goodwill' RFE/RL 30 Jun 2022 -- Ukraine says its forces have forced Russian troops off Snake Island in the Black Sea, a claim Russia denied, with Moscow saying it withdrew its forces as a "gesture of goodwill" to show the country isn't impeding efforts to allow the export of agricultural products.
- 144 Ukraine Fighters Freed from Russian Captivity in Prisoner Exchange VOA 30 Jun 2022 -- The Ukrainian Defense Ministry announced on Wednesday that 144 of the country's fighters were freed from Russian captivity via "an exchange mechanism" and that nearly 100 of the freed fighters had participated in the defense of the Ukrainian coastal city of Mariupol.
- Ukraine, Russia carry out largest prisoner exchange since conflict start People's Daily 30 Jun 2022 -- Ukraine and Russia carried out their largest prisoner exchange since the start of the conflict on Feb. 24, the Main Intelligence Directorate of Ukraine's Defense Ministry said Wednesday in a statement on Telegram.
- Zmiinyi Island is a strategic point, its liberation significantly changes the situation in the Black Sea - address by the President of Ukraine President of Ukraine 30 Jun 2022
- Ukrainian Foreign Ministry Condemns Syria's Decision To Recognize Eastern Regions As Independent RFE/RL 30 Jun 2022 -- The Ukrainian Foreign Ministry has strongly condemned the decision of Syria to recognize the eastern Ukrainian regions of Luhansk and Donetsk as independent.
- Ukraine Cuts Diplomatic Ties With Syria After It Recognizes Eastern Regions As Independent RFE/RL 30 Jun 2022 -- Ukraine cut diplomatic ties with Syria on June 29 after Damascus recognized the independence of the eastern regions of Luhansk and Donetsk.
- Ukrainian president urges more defense, financial aid at NATO summit People's Daily 30 Jun 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Wednesday addressed a North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) summit via a video link, urging more defense and financial assistance for Ukraine, the presidential press service reported.
- Russia-Appointed Official Says Grain Shipment Left Ukraine's Berdyansk For 'Friendly Countries' RFE/RL 30 Jun 2022 -- A merchant ship with 7,000 tons of grain has left the Russian-occupied Ukrainian city of Berdyansk, the first such shipment from the port since Moscow launched its invasion of Ukraine in late February.
- MoD: Russian Military Withdraws Forces From Zmeiniy Island as Gesture of Good Will Sputnik 30 Jun 2022 -- Ostrov Zmeiniy, or Snake Island, located about 140 km south of Odessa, was seized by Russian forces during the first stage of the special operation, as Ukrainian troops stationed there promptly surrendered.
- Biden: US will send $800 million in more military aid to Ukraine Press TV 30 Jun 2022 -- US President Joe Biden has said that the United States plans to send an additional $800 million in military aid to Ukraine, including advanced air defense systems and other "offensive" weapons.
- US sends $1.3 billion to Ukraine in economic aid: Treasury Press TV 30 Jun 2022 -- The United States has announced the delivery of $1.3 billion in economic aid to Ukraine, as the first part of the initial $7.5 billion approved by Congress last month.
- Biden Pledges Allied Support For Ukraine For 'As Long As It Takes' RFE/RL 30 Jun 2022 -- President Joe Biden says the United States and its allies will continue to support Ukraine in its war against Russia for "as long as it takes" to make sure it is victorious.
- Biden: US to Announce $800+ Million in New Funding Package for Ukraine, Including Air Defense Sputnik 30 Jun 2022 -- Earlier in the week, US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan said that a new defense package for Ukraine, that includes advanced medium and long-range air defense capabilities, was in the works.
- NATO warns of 'full-scale war' with Russia Press TV 30 Jun 2022 -- NATO has warned that the current conflict in Ukraine, where Russia has been conducting a special military operation, could turn into an unrestrained battle between the Western military alliance and Moscow.
- NATO Summit: What New Weapons Have Been Pledged to Ukraine? VOA 30 Jun 2022 -- As NATO leaders met in Madrid this week, Ukraine demanded new heavy weapons to defeat Russia's invasion. Here's a look at what Ukraine says it needs and what other countries have promised and delivered.
- Emergency in Ukraine - External Situation Report #16 WHO 30 Jun 2022
- Ukraine: Four months after Russian invasion, humanitarian needs intensify UN News 30 Jun 2022 -- Across Ukraine, the scale of needs caused by Russia's invasion is still massive and human rights concerns persist, UN humanitarians said in an update on Thursday, as they repeated calls for access to the country's Black Sea ports to export vitally needed cereals.
- European Rights Court Tells Russia To Ensure Two Britons Captured In Ukraine Aren't Executed RFE/RL 30 Jun 2022 -- The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) has issued interim measures instructing Russia to hold off on carrying out any capital punishment against two Britons who surrendered after they fought alongside Ukrainian troops in eastern Ukraine.
- PACE delegation, ending Kyiv visit: 'The worst crime of all is the war itself' Council of Europe 30 Jun 2022 -- A cross-party delegation of 10 members of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE),* ending a visit to Kyiv on Ukraine's Constitution Day (28 June 2022), has expressed shock at the level of evidence of war crimes and crimes against humanity it saw, denounced the war in the strongest terms, and pledged determination to fight impunity and achieve just compensation for Ukraine.
- OSCE Chairman-in-Office and Secretary General announce upcoming closure of Project Co-ordinator in Ukraine OSCE 30 Jun 2022 -- OSCE Chairman-in-Office, Foreign Minister of Poland, Zbigniew Rau, and OSCE Secretary General, Helga Maria Schmid, have announced that the OSCE has initiated steps to close the office of the Project Co-ordinator in Ukraine.
- PM announces further Â£1 billion in military support to Ukraine Gov.UK 30 Jun 2022 -- The UK will provide another Â£1 billion of military support to Ukraine, the Prime Minister has announced at the NATO Leaders' Summit today (Thursday 30th June).
- China: Ukraine war takes heavy toll on Europe; US benefits from it Press TV 30 Jun 2022 -- Beijing has lashed out at NATO for calling China in its new blueprint a "challenge" for the US-led military bloc's "interests, security and values", blaming the United States for Russia's military offensive against Ukraine.
- Following Indonesia's Diplomatic Blitz, Western Leaders Say They'll Attend G-20 Bali Summit VOA 30 Jun 2022 -- Western leaders signaled confirmation of their attendance at the November summit of the Group of 20 in Bali, despite initial boycott threats, and the Kremlin said Russian President Vladimir Putin could possibly participate virtually at the gathering.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|