Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
17 June 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Defiant Putin Slams West While Ukraine Inches Closer to Joining EU VOA 17 Jun 2022 -- Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy applauded the European Commission's recommendation to grant Ukraine candidate status for European Union membership, while Russian President Vladimir Putin slammed the West for imposing sanctions on Moscow but played down the EU decision.
- Fact Sheet on U.S. Security Assistance to Ukraine DoD 17 Jun 2022 -- The United States has committed approximately $6.3 billion in security assistance to Ukraine since the beginning of the Biden Administration, including approximately $5.6 billion since the beginning of Russia's unprovoked invasion on February 24.
- Statement by President von der Leyen on the Commission's opinions on the EU membership applications by Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia European Commission 17 Jun 2022
- The European Commission recommends to Council confirming Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia's perspective to become members of the EU and provides its opinion on granting them candidate status European Commission 17 Jun 2022 -- Today, the European Commission presented its Opinions on the application for EU membership submitted by Ukraine, Georgia and the Republic of Moldova as invited by the Council.
- Opinion on the EU membership application by Ukraine European Commission 17 Jun 2022 -- The aspiration to belong to the European Union has for many years been an important priority for Ukraine, its governments and citizens. It has been an underlying motive for democratic changes over the past decade and a driver of a number of key reforms founded on European values. The decision in late 2013, of the then-President not to sign, the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement, which symbolised for many Ukrainians a path towards the European Union, led to large-scale protests against the authorities. Subsequently, the Russian Federation moved against Ukraine, not accepting the independent choice of the Ukrainian people.
- Brussels' Decision To Open Up The EU To Ukraine, Moldova, And Georgia Is Symbolic, But Also Historic RFE/RL 17 Jun 2022 -- Both the words "historic" and "symbolic" are appropriate when considering the June 17 decision by the European Commission to recommend that Ukraine, Moldova, and Georgia be given a "European perspective" -- in other words, announcing for the first time ever that the trio of countries can become European Union members in the future.
- In Groundbreaking Move, EU Recommends Candidate Status For Ukraine, Moldova RFE/RL 17 Jun 2022 -- The European Commission has taken a historic step, recommending Ukraine and Moldova be granted European Union candidate status, a move that marks the start of what will likely be a long journey toward full EU integration.
- Continued use of the situation of Russian as a minority language as a pretext for aggression against Ukraine unacceptable Council of Europe 17 Jun 2022 -- The Committee of Experts of the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages in the statement adopted at the latest plenary session condemned in the strongest possible terms the aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine and expressed its solidarity with all people of Ukraine.
- Moldova needs more resources and expertise to welcome refugees fleeing the war in Ukraine Council of Europe 17 Jun 2022 -- The Special Representative of the Secretary General on Migration and Refugees (SRSG) has concluded her fact-finding visit to the Republic of Moldova (13-15 June 2022), which focused on the protection of the refugees fleeing the war in Ukraine.
- UK to offer major training programme for Ukrainian forces as Prime Minister hails their victorious determination Gov.UK 17 Jun 2022 -- During a visit to Kyiv, Prime Minister Boris Johnson offered to launch a major training operation for Ukrainian forces.
- Prime Minister's remarks at a press conference in Kyiv: 17 June 2022 Gov.UK 17 Jun 2022 -- The Prime Minister gave a press conference with President Zelenskyy in Kyiv today.
- U.K.'s Johnson Promises More Aid To Ukraine During Surprise Visit To Kyiv RFE/RL 17 Jun 2022 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson promised more military aid to Ukraine during a surprise visit to Kyiv.
- UK set to offer Kiev further military training to 'change war's equation,' Johnson says Press TV 17 Jun 2022 -- The UK government is set to give Ukraine "strategic endurance" by supplying the country with arms and military training in vast measures, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said in his second surprise visit to Kiev since the onset of the war.
- Norway Opens to Possibility of Training Ukrainian Soldiers as It Considers More Arms Donations Sputnik 17 Jun 2022 -- Norway has already provided arms to Ukraine in several rounds, ranging from anti-tank weapons and anti-aircraft missiles to to heavy artillery.
- South Africa Can't Refine Russian Oil, Opposition Politician Says VOA 17 Jun 2022 -- Three times this year, South Africa has abstained from voting on United Nations resolutions condemning Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list