Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
25 May 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Putin Signs Decree Allowing Residents Of Newly Occupied Ukrainian Territories To Get Russian Citizenship RFE/RL 25 May 2022 -- President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree allowing residents of two Ukrainian regions, Kherson and Zaporizhzhya, parts of which have been occupied by Russian forces during Moscow's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, to obtain Russian citizenship.
- Moscow Offers Safe Passage Of Ukrainian Food Exports In Exchange For Easing Of Sanctions RFE/RL 25 May 2022 -- A senior Russian government official says Moscow could allow vessels carrying food to leave Ukraine's Black Sea ports in return for the lifting of some sanctions imposed on Russia for its invasion of Ukraine.
- Moscow Throws Massive Resources Into Offensive; Ukraine Grain Exports Under Strain RFE/RL 25 May 2022 -- Russia has continued to pour forces and equipment into its all-out offensive in eastern Ukraine, where it seeks to encircle Ukrainian troops in two cities, as Kyiv warns that the country is facing an existential battle that could determine its fate.
- 'Crimes Won't Go Unpunished': Azovstal Fighters Who Engaged in War Crimes Will Be Prosecuted: Moscow Sputnik 25 May 2022 -- The territory of Azovstal - a massive Soviet-built metal and steelworks in the Azov Sea coastal city of Mariupol, was completely cleared of Ukrainian Army troops, neo-Nazi battalion fighters, and foreign mercenaries at the end of last week, with its remaining defenders surrendering to Russian and Donbass militia forces.
- Moscow Rejects Claims Russia's Military is Smuggling Grain From Ukraine Sputnik 25 May 2022 -- Last week, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) called for expansion of solutions to tackle food crisis, which is aggravating global food insecurity amid the ongoing conflict in Ukraine and economic crises.
- Zaporozhye Region to Set Course for Becoming Part of Russia, Authorities Say Sputnik 25 May 2022 -- The Zaporozhye Region, after its complete liberation from Ukrainian nationalists, will set a course towards becoming part of Russia, Vladimir Rogov, a member of the main council of the region's military-civilian administration, told Sputnik.
- Russia to continue special military operation in Ukraine until all goals met: DM People's Daily 25 May 2022 -- Russia will continue its special military operation in Ukraine despite the sanctions and increased Western assistance to Kiev, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Tuesday.
- Launch of the Atrocity Crimes Advisory Group (ACA) for Ukraine US Dept. of State 25 May 2022 -- The United States, along with the European Union and the United Kingdom, has created the Atrocity Crimes Advisory Group (ACA). This joint initiative will directly support the efforts of the War Crimes Units of the Office of the Prosecutor General of Ukraine (OPG) to document, preserve, and analyze evidence of war crimes and other atrocities committed in Ukraine, with a view toward criminal prosecutions.
- U.S. Lawmakers Say Plenty Of Bipartisan Support For Ukraine In Congress RFE/RL 25 May 2022 -- Two members of the U.S. House of Representatives say bipartisan support for Ukraine remains strong in Congress, which last week passed another massive aid package for the country -- $40 billion worth of weapons and other aid to help the country in its fight against Russia.
- US to Keep Sanctions on Russia Even if Ukrainian Ports Unblocked - State Dept. Sputnik 25 May 2022 -- The United States will maintain the sanctions it has imposed on Russia even if Moscow unblocks Ukraine's sea ports to allow for grain exports amid the special military operation, US State Department spokesperson Ned Price told reporters on Wednesday.
- OSCE Chairman-in-Office and Secretary General condemn intimidation and detention of OSCE staff in Donetsk and Luhansk OSCE 25 May 2022 -- OSCE Chairman-in-Office, Foreign Minister of Poland Zbigniew Rau and OSCE Secretary General Helga Maria Schmid today reiterated their condemnation of persistent allegations against the Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine (SMM) and called for the immediate release of four national Mission members detained in Donetsk and Luhansk.
- Ukraine: The Commission proposes rules on freezing and confiscating assets of oligarchs violating restrictive measures and of criminals European Commission 25 May 2022 -- Today, the European Commission is proposing to add the violation of EU restrictive measures to the list of EU crimes. The Commission is also proposing new reinforced rules on asset recovery and confiscation, which will also contribute to the implementation of EU restrictive measures.
- Questions and Answers: The Commission proposes rules on freezing and confiscating assets of oligarchs violating restrictive measures and of criminals European Commission 25 May 2022 -- Since the start of the war in Ukraine, the EU has adopted restrictive measures against Russian and Belarussian individuals. Freezing assets controlled by oligarchs and other individuals linked to the Russian aggression is key to disrupt the Russian war machine.
- Ukraine: The European Union, the United States, and the United Kingdom establish the Atrocity Crimes Advisory Group (ACA) for Ukraine European External Action Service (EEAS) 25 May 2022 -- Today, the European Union, the United States, and the United Kingdom announced the creation of the Atrocity Crimes Advisory Group (ACA), a mechanism aimed at ensuring efficient coordination of their respective support to accountability efforts on the ground. The ACA will reinforce current EU, US and UK efforts to further accountability for atrocity crimes in the context of Russia's ongoing war of aggression against Ukraine. It advances commitments made by the European Union, the United States, and the United Kingdom to demonstrate international support and solidarity at this crucial historical moment for Ukraine.
- Questions and Answers: Atrocity Crimes Advisory Group (ACA) for Ukraine European External Action Service (EEAS) 25 May 2022
- Finland sent medicines and medical supplies to Ukraine Finnish Government 25 May 2022 -- On 16 May, Finland sent medicines and medical supplies to Ukraine.
- US Outs Norwegian Arms Contribution to Ukraine as It Thanks Oslo for Sending Artillery Sputnik 25 May 2022 -- Russia has frequently warned the US and its allies about the dangers of arms deliveries to Ukraine, stressing that the cargoes constitute a legitimate military target and that such assistance will merely prolong the conflict and even enhance the risks of a direct confrontation with NATO.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list