Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
24 May 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Russian Defence Minister Shoigu Warns of Threat of Ukrainian Nuclear Weapons Development Sputnik 24 May 2022 -- The statement comes as the Russian special military operation in Ukraine enters its fourth month. The operation was ordered by Russian President Vladimir Putin to end "genocide" in Donbass, as well as "demilitarise and de-Nazify" Ukraine. Moscow also warned of the possibility of Kiev developing nuclear weapons ahead of the operation.
- Joint statement on Ukraine's application against Russia at the International Court of Justice Germany Federal Foreign Office 24 May 2022 -- Statement on behalf of Albania, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Marshall Islands, Micronesia (Federated States of), Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States, European Union:
- Joint Statement between the European Commission and the United States on European Energy Security European Commission 24 May 2022 -- Russia has demonstrated that it is an unreliable supplier of energy to Europe through unjustified and unacceptable actions such as cutting off electricity and natural gas to Finland, halting natural gas exports to Poland and Bulgaria, and threatening similar actions against other European nations. The
- Ukraine: Council adopts temporary trade liberalisation with Ukraine EC/CEU 24 May 2022 -- The Council adopted today a regulation allowing for temporary trade liberalisation and other trade concessions with regard to certain Ukrainian products. This means that for one year import duties on all Ukrainian exports to the European Union will not be due.
- EU support to Ukraine: Council agrees on further increase of support under the European Peace Facility EC/CEU 24 May 2022 -- The Council adopted two assistance measures under the European Peace Facility (EPF) that will allow the EU to further support the capabilities and resilience of the Ukrainian Armed Forces to defend the territorial integrity and sovereignty of the country, and protect the civilian population against the ongoing Russian military aggression.
- EU's Von Der Leyen Accuses Russia Of Weaponizing Food Supplies RFE/RL 24 May 2022 -- European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen says Russia is weaponizing food supplies as prices of grain, cooking oil, and other food commodities soar following Moscow's invasion of Ukraine, one of the world's largest wheat producers.
- Europe accepts Russia's demands on gas payments to avoid more shut-offs Press TV 24 May 2022 -- European energy companies have agreed to Russian President Vladimir Putin's demands on gas payments to "avoid more gas shut-offs," according to a new report.
- Hungary's Orban Shoots Down Russian Oil and Gas Embargo Discussions at EU Summit Sputnik 24 May 2022 -- Budapest has resisted the European Union's proposal to ban Moscow's oil and gas, with its prime minister arguing that the bloc's sanctions only work "on paper".
- Orban Imposes New State Of Emergency In Hungary, Saying Ukraine War Poses 'Constant Danger' RFE/RL 24 May 2022 -- Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban has imposed a new state of emergency in the country, citing the war in Ukraine, which he said "poses a threat to our physical security."
- UK May 'Protect' Ukrainian Freighters From 'Russian Threat' in Black Sea Amid Fears of Global Famine Sputnik 24 May 2022 -- On Monday, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov stressed that the threat of global hunger emanates from the anti-Russian sanctions launched by the West rather than Russia as such. Washington and its allies slapped "severe" sanctions on Moscow over its special military operation in Ukraine, which has been continuing since 24 February.
- 'Big Thing': Denmark to Supply Naval Missiles to Ukraine Sputnik 24 May 2022 -- According to Danish military researcher Anders Puck Nielsen, the Harpoon-class missiles, which have a range of up to 240 kilometres, may be used both for coastal defence and in truck-mounted mode. Russia had previously cautioned against arms deliveries to Ukraine and stressed they would be treated as legitimate targets.
- Defence Minister Anita Anand announces additional military aid for Ukraine Canada DND 24 May 2022 -- Today, Defence Minister Anita Anand announced that Canada will donate over 20,000 artillery rounds of 155 mm NATO standard ammunition, including fuses and charge bags, to further support Ukraine's military in their response to Russian leadership's illegal, and unjustifiable invasion.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speaks with President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy Prime Minister of Canada 24 May 2022 -- Today, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spoke with the President of Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, to reconfirm Canada's strong ongoing support for Ukraine against Russia's military aggression.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list