Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
20 May 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 18.00 on May 20, 2022 Ukraine MOD 20 May 2022
- The total combat losses of the enemy from 24.02 to 20.05 Ukraine MOD 20 May 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 06.00 on May 20, 2022 Ukraine MOD 20 May 2022
- Russia Claims Capture of Ukraine's Mariupol, Ramps Up Assault in East VOA 20 May 2022 -- Russia claimed Friday to have captured Ukraine's southern port city of Mariupol, after the last Ukrainian fighters holed up in the city's steelworks plant surrendered.
- Russia Ramps Up Assaults in Eastern Ukraine VOA 20 May 2022 -- Russia stepped up its assault on eastern Ukraine Friday, using artillery, rocket launchers, and aircraft to pound the regions of Donetsk and Luhansk, destroying houses in residential districts and killing a number of civilians, according to Ukrainian civilian and military officials.
- Russia Claims All Ukrainian Troops Out Of Steelworks In Mariupol RFE/RL 20 May 2022 -- Russian troops are in full control of the Azovstal steelworks in Mariupol and all Ukrainian fighters that had been holed up there have surrendered, the Russian Defense Ministry says, as Moscow intensifies its assault on eastern Ukraine.
- Russia says 771 more Ukrainian soldiers surrender at Azovstal steel plant People's Daily 20 May 2022 -- Russia said Thursday that a new batch of 771 Ukrainian soldiers blocked at the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol have surrendered over the past 24 hours.
- Ukraine orders troops holed up in Mariupol's Azovstal to stop fighting Press TV 20 May 2022 -- Kiev has ordered the remaining Ukrainian soldiers still holed up in the blockaded Azovstal steel plant in the southern port city of Mariupol to stop fighting, as Russia continues to make advances in its military operation in eastern Ukraine.
- Russian, U.S. military chiefs discuss Ukraine over phone People's Daily 20 May 2022 -- Chief of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces Valery Gerasimov and U.S. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley held a phone call on Thursday to discuss issues of mutual interest, including the situation in Ukraine.
- Joint statement on Ukraine's application against Russia at the International Court of Justice Germany Federal Foreign Office 20 May 2022 -- Statement on behalf of Albania, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Marshall Islands, Micronesia (Federated States of), Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States, European Union
- OSCE human rights office intensifies monitoring of abuses in and around Ukraine as evidence grows OSCE 20 May 2022 -- As the precarious security situation in Ukraine continues, the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) is stepping up its monitoring of the impact of the conflict on civilians and prisoners of war for violations of international human rights and humanitarian law, following Russia's military attack in Ukraine almost three months ago.
- G7 To Provide $9.5 Billion In New Aid To Support Ukraine's Economy RFE/RL 20 May 2022 -- The Group of Seven (G7) leading economies have agreed to provide $9.5 billion in new economic aid to Ukraine to help Kyiv pay public-employee salaries and ensure the government can continue to function as it defends itself from Russia's invasion.
- Condemnation of Russia, Council of Europe's priorities, assistance for Ukraine - Foreign Affairs Ministers' meeting concludes in Turin Council of Europe 20 May 2022 -- At the end of a meeting where the consequences of Russia's aggression against Ukraine figured high on the agenda, the Foreign Affairs Ministers of the Council of Europe's 46 member States decided today that the organisation should not emerge weakened from the crisis but, on the contrary, strengthened.
- EU disburses â‚¬600 million in Macro-Financial Assistance to Ukraine European Commission 20 May 2022 -- The European Commission, on behalf of the EU, has today disbursed â‚¬600 million in Macro-Financial Assistance (MFA) to Ukraine.
- Scholz says no shortcuts to Ukraine's EU membership bid People's Daily 20 May 2022 -- German Chancellor Olaf Scholz said on Thursday that there would be no shortcuts to Ukraine's bid to join the European Union (EU).
- Ukraine's application against Russia before the International Court of Justice: joint statement UK FCDO 20 May 2022 -- The UK government has joined a statement with partners welcoming Ukraine's application against Russia before the International Court of Justice.
- UK medical aid donations to Ukraine to reach 11 million items UK FCDO 20 May 2022 -- Latest aid deliveries will double number of medical items donated by the UK.
- Britain to provide 1.3 bln pounds in military aid for Ukraine People's Daily 20 May 2022 -- The British government will provide 1.3 billion pounds in military aid for Ukraine, the Ukrainian government-run Ukrinform news agency reported Thursday, citing British Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau convenes the Incident Response Group on the situation in Ukraine Prime Minister of Australia 20 May 2022 -- Yesterday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau convened the Incident Response Group with ministers and senior officials to discuss the latest developments of the situation in Ukraine.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list