Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
19 May 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby Holds a Press Briefing DoD 19 May 2022
- Statement by President Joe Biden on Senate Passage of Ukraine Supplemental The White House 19 May 2022
- Memorandum on the Delegation of Authority Under Section 506(a)(1) and Section 614(a)(1) of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961 The White House 19 May 2022
- $100 Million in Additional Security Assistance for Ukraine DoD 19 May 2022 -- Today, May 19, the Department of Defense (DoD) announces the authorization of a Presidential Drawdown of security assistance valued at up to an additional $100 million. This authorization is the tenth drawdown of equipment from DoD inventories for Ukraine since August 2021.
- $100 Million in Additional U.S. Military Assistance for Ukraine US Dept. of State 19 May 2022 -- For nearly 12 weeks, Russia has waged its unprovoked and brutal war against Ukraine, its sovereignty, its territorial integrity, and its people. Beaten back from its failed attempt to seize Kyiv, Russia continues a grinding offensive across Ukraine's south and east.
- Quintet of Attorneys General Statement of Support for the Prosecutor General of Ukraine and Investigations and Prosecutions for Russian War Crimes US Dept. of Justice 19 May 2022 -- The Quintet of Attorneys General have issued the following statement of support for Prosecutor General Iryna Venediktova of Ukraine and investigations and prosecutions for crimes committed during the Russian invasion of Ukraine:
- US Senate Passes $40Bln Ukraine Aid Bill, Sending Legislation to Biden for Finalization Sputnik 19 May 2022 -- The US Senate on Thursday passed a $40 billion Ukraine aid bill, sending the legislation to the White House to be signed by President Joe Biden.
- US Senate passes whopping $40 billion in aid for Ukraine Press TV 19 May 2022 -- The US Senate has approved more than $40 billion in new "aid" for Ukraine, which has been the site of a Russian military operation since February.
- U.S. Senate Gives Final Congressional Approval To $40 Billion Aid Package For Ukraine RFE/RL 19 May 2022 -- The U.S. Senate has overwhelmingly approved a $40 billion package of military and economic aid for Ukraine.
- Pelosi Statement on Senate Passage of Ukraine Supplemental Speaker Pelosi 19 May 2022 -- Speaker Nancy Pelosi issued this statement after the Senate passed the $40.1 billion supplemental funding bill to support Ukraine
- US reopens embassy in Ukraine, names new envoy Press TV 19 May 2022 -- The United States has reopened its embassy in Ukraine after three months of closure and named a new ambassador to the country.
- Blinken Accuses Russia Of Blocking Exports Of Ukrainian Grain, Worsening World Food Crisis RFE/RL 19 May 2022 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken has accused Russia of using food as a weapon in its war against Ukraine by blocking ports used to ship grain and other commodities.
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken At a Roundtable on Humanitarian Assistance in Ukraine US Dept. of State 19 May 2022
- U.S. Commitment to Indo-Pacific Region Not Limited by Security Assistance to Ukraine DoD News 19 May 2022 -- As of May 6, the U.S. has committed about $4.5 billion in security assistance to Ukraine. Thousands of pieces of military hardware and over 50 million rounds of ammunition were included.
- U.S. reopens embassy in Ukraine People's Daily 19 May 2022 -- The United States reopened its embassy in Ukraine, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Wednesday, three months after it ceased operation in anticipation that Russia would launch a military operation in the country.
- Biden Hosting Leaders of Finland, Sweden After NATO Applications VOA 19 May 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden hosts Finland's President Sauli NiinistÃ¶ and Sweden's Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson for talks Thursday at the White House about their applications to join NATO, support for Ukraine and European security.
- Biden Supports Sweden's, Finland's Bids to Join NATO VOA 19 May 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden on Thursday enthusiastically welcomed Sweden's and Finland's bids to join the NATO security alliance â€” moves that would enlarge the bloc to include two of Europe's most modern militaries and place it along Russia's northwestern border.
- NATO Military Leaders Address Security in Wake of Russian Invasion of Ukraine DoD News 19 May 2022 -- Since the Russian invasion of Ukraine began in February, the North Atlantic Alliance has proven its capabilities to mobilize for collective defense and ably support the Ukrainians fighting for their country, the top NATO military leaders said today.
- Letter to Certain Congressional Committees on the report on the Kingdom of Sweden's Accession to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization The White House 19 May 2022
- Letter to Certain Congressional Committees on the report on the Republic of Finland's Accession to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization The White House 19 May 2022
- Remarks By President Biden, President NiinistÃ¶ of Finland, and Prime Minister Andersson of Sweden after Trilateral Meeting The White House 19 May 2022
- Readout of President Biden's Meeting with Prime Minister Andersson Of Sweden and President NiinistÓ§ of Finland The White House 19 May 2022
- Austin, Robles Stress NATO Unity During Pentagon Meeting DoD News 19 May 2022 -- NATO unity was a big part of the discussions in the Pentagon today as Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III hosted Spanish Defense Minister Margarita Robles.
- NATO Secretary General to Allied Defence Chiefs: 'Reset' our posture to reflect new reality in Europe NATO 19 May 2022 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg addressed the Allied defence chiefs on Thursday (19 May 2022), at the start of the one-day Military Committee in Chiefs of Defence session.
- NATO Secretary General praises Denmark's contribution to the Alliance NATO 19 May 2022 -- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg thanked Denmark for its strong contributions to NATO during a visit to Copenhagen on Thursday (19 May 2022).
- Transcript of Pelosi Remarks at Photo Opportunity with His Excellency Sauli NiinistÃ¶, President of the Republic of Finland, and Her Excellency Magdalena Andersson, Prime Minister of Sweden Speaker Pelosi 19 May 2022 -- Speaker Nancy Pelosi held a photo opportunity with His Excellency Sauli NiinistÃ¶, President of the Republic of Finland, and Her Excellency Magdalena Andersson, Prime Minister of Sweden, ahead of a trilateral bipartisan leadership meeting. Below are the Speaker's remarks
- Finland PM says no nuclear arms or NATO bases on Finland's soil even after membership Press TV 19 May 2022 -- Finland's Prime Minister Sanna Marin has dismissed the possibility of deploying nuclear weapons or establishment of NATO military bases on her country's soil, saying the alliance itself has not expressed any interest in placing nuclear weapons or permanent bases in Finland.
- Finland, Sweden to buy weapons after applying for NATO membership Press TV 19 May 2022 -- Finland and Sweden are set to buy portable firearms and anti-tank weapons, Finland's defense ministry has announced, as the Nordic countries have formally applied to join NATO.
- Biden Hails 'Momentous' Applications Of Sweden, Finland To Join NATO RFE/RL 19 May 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden expressed strong support for the applications of Sweden and Finland to join NATO as he met with the leaders of the two countries at the White House, calling them two "great democracies" and "highly capable partners."
- Erdogan Vows to Veto Nordics' NATO Bid If Turkish Concerns Ignored, Dubs Sweden 'Nest of Terrorists' Sputnik 19 May 2022 -- Ankara has spent the last week threatening to block Stockholm and Helsinki's bid to join the Western military bloc, citing the Nordic countries' harbouring of independence- and autonomy-seeking Turkish Kurdish groups that Turkey classifies as "terrorists".
- Russian war crimes in Ukraine: Commission welcomes European Parliament's adoption of Eurojust's reinforced mandate European Commission 19 May 2022 -- Today the European Parliament adopted the Commission's proposal to reinforce Eurojust's mandate to collect and preserve evidence of war crimes. Following the provisional agreement by the EU Ambassadors yesterday, it would now be for EU Ministers to formally adopt the amended Eurojust Regulation before it could enter into force.
- The Federal Chancellor holds talks on Ukraine with the Prime Minister of the Netherlands - "The killing must end" Germany Federal Foreign Office 19 May 2022 -- Russia not only bears responsibility for the impact of the war in Ukraine, but also for the risk of a severe global food crisis, said Federal Chancellor Scholz during his talks with the Dutch Prime Minister Rutte in The Hague. Prior to this, Scholz had met King Willem-Alexander.
- Government statement by Federal Chancellor Scholz - "We all share the same goal: Ukraine must survive" Germany - Federal Government 19 May 2022 -- "War in our immediate neighbourhood is, without doubt, the greatest challenge" that the European Union has had to cope with in the last few years, said Federal Chancellor Olaf Scholz in his government statement in the German Bundestag on Thursday. It was therefore all the more important to defend peace, he said.
- Germany Says 'No Shortcuts' For Ukraine On EU Path, Prompting Criticism From Kyiv RFE/RL 19 May 2022 -- German Chancellor Olaf Scholz says Ukraine's bid to join the European Union cannot be fast-tracked despite Russia's invasion, a statement Kyiv said amounted to "second-class" treatment.
- PM call with President Zelenskyy: 19 May 2022 Gov.UK 19 May 2022 -- The Prime Minister spoke to Ukrainian President Zelenskyy today to discuss a range of issues, including military support and global food security.
- Russia's attack on Ukraine threatens global food security: UK statement to the OSCE UK FCDO 19 May 2022 -- Ambassador Bush highlights the impact of Russia's war on global food security and calls on Russia to stop impeding Ukrainian food production and export.
- Finnish Ambassador to Ukraine returned to Kyiv Finnish Government 19 May 2022 -- The Ambassador of Finland and all Finnish citizens employed by the Finnish mission in Kyiv left Ukraine for security reasons in February, when Russia started its military aggression against Ukraine.
- FM: Iran supports any diplomatic effort to settle Ukraine conflict, ready to mediate Press TV 19 May 2022 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian has described Tehran's relations with Moscow as excellent, saying the Islamic Republic supports any effort aimed at finding a diplomatic solution to the Ukraine war.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list