Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
17 May 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- NATO Deputy Secretary General discusses military support for Ukraine with EU Foreign Affairs Council NATO 17 May 2022 -- On Tuesday (17 May 2022) the NATO Deputy Secretary General, Mircea GeoanÄ, participated in a meeting of the Foreign Affairs Council of the European Union in its defence configuration.
- Finland declares its interest to accede to NATO Finnish Government 17 May 2022 -- On Tuesday 17 May 2022, the President of the Republic of Finland decided, on the proposal of the Government, to notify the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) of Finland's interest to engage in talks on accession to NATO and appointed a delegation to Finland's accession talks to be held with NATO and its member countries.
- Geopolitical tension mounts as Sweden, Finland poised to join NATO People's Daily 17 May 2022 -- Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson on Monday announced the official decision to start the process of the country's application to become a NATO member, one day after Finland made a like move to apply for membership of the military bloc.
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finland Approves Membership Bid RFE/RL 17 May 2022 -- Finland and Sweden have taken another major step toward joining the NATO military alliance in response to Russia's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, as Moscow warned it would watch the developments and respond accordingly.
- Erdogan-Allied Turkish Nationalist Party Proposes Keeping Sweden, Finland in NATO 'Waiting Room' Sputnik 17 May 2022 -- On Monday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said he couldn't approve Sweden and Finland's bids for membership in NATO, since it would turn the alliance into a "place where there will be many representatives of terrorists". Ankara has long accused the Nordic countries of "harbouring" members of the Kurdish Workers Party.
- Statement by White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre on the Meeting Between President Biden and Prime Minister Andersson of Sweden and President NiinistÃ¶ of Finland The White House 17 May 2022
- Update 76 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 17 May 2022 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) plans to send its next nuclear safety, security and safeguards mission to Ukraine's Chornobyl Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) in the coming weeks, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said today.
- UNICEF Says Ukraine War Exacerbating Issue Of Severe Child Hunger RFE/RL 17 May 2022 -- The United Nations' children's agency says war in Ukraine, one of the world's largest grain suppliers, is threatening to plunge the world into a "spiraling" food crisis, exacerbating the problem of severe hunger among a growing number of children.
- NATO Expansion, Disregard for Russian Security Interests Behind Ukraine Crisis, Iran Says Sputnik 17 May 2022 -- The Western alliance has carried out several waves of eastward expansion, swallowing up every former member of the defunct Warsaw Pact, three republics of the former Soviet Union, and four ex-Yugoslav republics. Before the escalation of the crisis in February, bloc officials had said repeatedly that Ukrainian membership was a done deal.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list