Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
10 May 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Ukraine Lost 4 Warplanes, 10 Choppers, and Over 30 UAVs in Attempt to Seize Snake Island - MoD Sputnik 10 May 2022 -- Ukraine's losses include one Su-27 fighter aircraft, three Su-24 attack jets, several Mi-24 attack helicopters and Mi-8 transport helicopters, and three Centaur fast assault craft, as well as at least 30 military UAVs.
- Putin's calm, restrained Victory Day speech 'left room for negotiations' Global Times 10 May 2022 -- In his Victory Day speech on Monday, Russian President Vladimir Putin "calmly but firmly" stated that Russia had to take preemptive actions in its special operation in Ukraine as NATO had created an "absolutely unacceptable threat" at Russia's borders. According to Chinese analysts, the speech was delivered in a "restrained" manner to send a clear signal to the West that Russia will not accept intensified pressure to squeeze Russia's strategic space, but at the same time showed Putin was leaving some room for negotiation.
- Russia holds military parade to mark V-Day People's Daily 10 May 2022 -- Russia held a grand military parade in central Moscow's Red Square to commemorate the 76th anniversary of the Soviet victory in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945.
- Finland and Sweden Aim for NATO Membership, Prompting Russia's Fury VOA 10 May 2022 -- Finland and Sweden are expected to formally apply to join NATO later this month, in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Both countries say Moscow's actions have changed the security dynamic in Europe and the Kremlin's nuclear threats require the collective self-defense that NATO can provide.
- Western Allies Say Moscow Behind Cyberattack Ahead Of Ukraine Invasion RFE/RL 10 May 2022 -- The European Union, Britain, and the United States say Russia masterminded a massive cyberattack against a satellite Internet network that disabled thousands of modems in Ukraine and parts of Central Europe hours before the start of Moscow's invasion on February 24.
- US, EU, UK Say Russia Used Cyberattacks Against Ukraine Before, During Invasion VOA 10 May 2022 -- The United States and its allies Tuesday accused Russia of carrying out cyberattacks against Ukraine before and during its invasion.
- Attribution of Russia's Malicious Cyber Activity Against Ukraine US Dept. of State 10 May 2022 -- The United States is joining with allies and partners to condemn Russia's destructive cyber activities against Ukraine. In the months leading up to and after Russia's illegal further invasion began, Ukraine experienced a series of disruptive cyber operations, including website defacements, distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks, and cyber attacks to delete data from computers belonging to government and private entities - all part of the Russian playbook.
- Russia behind cyber-attack with Europe-wide impact an hour before Ukraine invasion UK FCDO 10 May 2022 -- UK, EU, US and allies have announced that Russia is responsible for a series of cyber-attacks since the renewed invasion of Ukraine.
- Attribution to Russia for malicious cyber activity against European networks Australia MFA 10 May 2022 -- Australia is committed to working with our partners and allies to shine a light on Russia's ongoing unacceptable activity in cyberspace and condemns Russia's destructive, disruptive and destabilising cyber activities against Ukraine. Today we join the US and the EU in attributing to the Russian government the following activity:
- Statement on Russia's malicious cyber activity affecting Europe and Ukraine Canada 10 May 2022 -- The Honourable MĂ©lanie Joly, Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Honourable Anita Anand, Minister of National Defence, and the Honourable Marco Mendicino, Minister of Public Safety, today issued the following statement:
- Russian cyber operations against Ukraine: Declaration by the High Representative on behalf of the European Union EC/CEU 10 May 2022 -- The European Union and its Member States, together with its international partners, strongly condemn the malicious cyber activity conducted by the Russian Federation against Ukraine, which targeted the satellite KA-SAT network, operated by Viasat.
- MFA statement condemning Russia for its cyberattacks against Ukraine Republic of Poland 10 May 2022 -- Today, on behalf of its 27 Member States, the European Union has published a Declaration condemning Russia for cyber activities against Ukraine. Similar statements were issued by our allies and partners from the USA, UK, Canada and Australia.
- Ukrainian president, Swedish PM discuss defense support for Ukraine over phone People's Daily 10 May 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Monday he had discussed defense support for his country amid the conflict with Russia with Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson.
- Ukraine war could result in bigger, lasting threat: China's Xi to France's Macron Press TV 10 May 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping warns that the Ukraine crisis could result in a bigger and more lasting threat to global peace, as the war grinds through its third month.
- Macron dashes Ukraine's ambitious EU bid, calls for broader club Press TV 10 May 2022 -- French President Emmanuel Macron has called for a broader political club beyond the European Union to include non-member states amid calls for reforms following Russia's military operation in Ukraine.
- Visit by Belgian Prime Minister De Croo - Joint action against the Russian war of aggression Germany - Federal Government 10 May 2022 -- Germany and Belgium agree that they will make every endeavour to support Ukraine. This was stressed by Federal Chancellor Scholz on Tuesday during his meeting with the Belgian Prime Minister De Croo in Berlin. Scholz added that this applied to the supply of weapons as well as to further sanctions.
- German, Dutch Foreign Ministers Call For Justice During Surprise Visit To Ukraine RFE/RL 10 May 2022 -- The foreign ministers of Germany and the Netherlands have made a surprise visit to Ukraine, stopping in the Kyiv suburbs of Bucha and Irpin, where Russian forces are accused of committing war crimes before retreating last month.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list