09 May 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Senior Defense Official Holds a Background Briefing DoD 09 May 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 18.00 on May 9, 2022 Ukraine MOD 09 May 2022
- The total combat losses of the enemy from 24.02 to 09.05 Ukraine MOD 09 May 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 06.00 on May 9, 2022 Ukraine MOD 09 May 2022
- No Indication Russian Invasion of Ukraine to Ease VOA 09 May 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday blamed Western nations for his invasion of Ukraine, saying Russia acted in response to "an absolutely unacceptable threat next to our borders."
- Russia is the only culprit that peace has been destroyed, and this is its historical responsibility - address by the President of Ukraine President of Ukraine 09 May 2022
- Volodymyr Zelenskyy met with the Secretary General of the Council of Europe President of Ukraine 09 May 2022
- Obtaining Ukraine's EU membership candidate status is of great importance for the Ukrainian people - President during a conversation with Ursula von der Leyen President of Ukraine 09 May 2022
- President of Ukraine discussed with the President of the European Council support for Ukraine during the war President of Ukraine 09 May 2022
- Address by the President of Ukraine on the Day of Victory over Nazism in World War II President of Ukraine 09 May 2022
- World must take immediate steps to unblock Ukrainian ports, prevent global food crisis: Ukraine president Press TV 09 May 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has accused Russia of blocking his country's ports, saying the international community should take immediate steps to end the move in order to allow wheat exports and prevent a global food crisis.
- The First Ladies of Ukraine and the United States met in Uzhhorod President of Ukraine 09 May 2022
- Victory Parade on Red Square President of Russia 09 May 2022 -- President of Russia - Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Federation Armed Forces Vladimir Putin attended a military parade marking the 77th anniversary of Victory in the 1941-1945 Great Patriotic War.
- Putin: 'No doubt' special military operation in Ukraine will achieve result Press TV 09 May 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has expressed confidence the country's special military operation in Ukraine will achieve its intended result, as the campaign in the former Soviet state drags on for more than two months.
- Putin defends Russia's military action in Ukraine, says West eyed invasion Press TV 09 May 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has defended Moscow's military operation in Ukraine, saying it was necessary as the West was preparing to invade Russia.
- Putin Defends Ukraine Invasion In Victory Day Speech, As U.K. Calls Out 'Absurdity Of Russian Generals' RFE/RL 09 May 2022 -- President Vladimir Putin has justified Moscow's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine as a necessary move for "defending the motherland," a claim Britain said mirrored the fascism and tyranny that sparked World War II, as Russian forces pressed ahead with their offensive in the east and south of the country.
- Putin's Victory Day Speech: The Significance Of What Was Not Said RFE/RL 09 May 2022 -- In the end, what was notable about Russian President Vladimir Putin's speech during Victory Day ceremonies was what he did not say.
- Russian Forces Thwart Large-Scale Ukrainian Assault to Seize Snake Island: MoD Sputnik 09 May 2022 -- Ostrov Zmeiny (lit. "Snake Island" or "Serpent Island") became the stuff of Internet legend in February after Ukrainian and Western media reported that its defenders had all been killed while bravely telling a Russian warship to "go f*ck yourself". Later, it was revealed that the Ukrainians were taken alive, and released in a prisoner exchange.
- Bill Signed: S. 3522 The White House 09 May 2022
- Biden Signs Law to Speed Up Ukraine Aid VOA 09 May 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden signed legislation Monday giving him new power to expedite the shipment of military equipment and supplies to Ukraine during the ongoing Russian invasion.
- Biden Signs Lend-Lease Act to Supply More Security Assistance to Ukraine DoD News 09 May 2022 -- Today, President Joe Biden signed into law the "Ukraine Democracy Defense Lend-Lease Act of 2022."
- Statement by President Joe Biden on Funding for COVID-19 and Ukraine The White House 09 May 2022
- Austin Consults Ukraine's Defense Minister to Ensure Needed Assistance Is Flowing DoD News 09 May 2022 -- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III spoke by phone today with the Ukrainian Defense Minister Oleksii Reznikov to discuss Ukraine's evolving battlefield needs, said Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby, who held a press briefing today.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin's Call With Ukraine's Minister of Defence Oleksii Reznikov DoD 09 May 2022
- U.S. Suspends Tariff On Steel From Ukraine In Show Of Economic Support RFE/RL 09 May 2022 -- The United States has announced the suspension of import taxes on steel from Ukraine in a show of support for the country's economy during the Russian invasion.
- Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby Holds a Press Briefing DoD 09 May 2022
- US running low on weapons as it 'burned through' stockpiles to arm Ukraine: Lawmaker Press TV 09 May 2022 -- The United States is running low on some weapons as it has "burned through" years' worth of stockpiles to arm Ukraine against Russia, says a Republican lawmaker who sits on the House Armed Services Committee.
- Europe Day US Dept. of State 09 May 2022 -- "On behalf of the American people, I join the citizens of the European Union in celebrating Europe Day."
- Raimondo Announces Temporary Suspension of 232 Tariffs on Ukraine Steel US Dept. of Commerce 09 May 2022
- Guterres expresses solidarity as Moldova grapples with fallout of Russia's war in Ukraine UN News 09 May 2022 -- Moldova, the most fragile of war-torn Ukraine's neighbors, needs and deserves massive support to match its generosity as a recipient of nearly half a million refugees, and to preserve its own stability, UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres said on Monday.
- Secretary-General's remarks to the Media in ChiÅinau, Moldova UN Secretary-General 09 May 2022
- As Russia Defends Ukraine War, Europe Reaffirms Support for Kyiv VOA 09 May 2022 -- As Russia's Vladimir Putin defended his war in Ukraine Monday, a top European Union official visited Ukraine, while France floated a possible new political alliance for Kyiv and other EU hopefuls.
- Secretary General in Ukraine Council of Europe 09 May 2022 -- Statement by Secretary General Marija PejÄinoviÄ BuriÄ on her visit to Ukraine
- Visit to Ukraine: Commissioner MijatoviÄ calls for continuous support and justice for victims of the war Council of Europe 09 May 2022
- EU's Michel Says Grain Exports Blocked As Russia Targets Ukraine's Odesa RFE/RL 09 May 2022 -- European Council President Charles Michel says silos full of grain are sitting blocked in Odesa as Russian forces target the Ukrainian port with missile strikes.
- Borrell's Initiative to Transfer Russia's Assets to Ukraine 'Complete Lawlessness'- Moscow Sputnik 09 May 2022 -- The initiative voiced by EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell on the transfer of Russia's frozen assets to Ukraine is "complete lawlessness," Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Grushko told Sputnik on Monday.
- EU's Borrell Says Russian Reserves Should Be Seized, Used To Rebuild Ukraine RFE/RL 09 May 2022 -- The European Union's foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell, says the bloc should consider seizing the frozen assets from Russia's foreign exchange reserves and using them to help fund postwar reconstruction efforts in Ukraine.
- President Macron in Berlin - Standing up for each other and for Ukraine Germany - Federal Government 09 May 2022 -- Germany and France stand closely and resolutely shoulder to shoulder with Ukraine, said the Federal Chancellor at his meeting with France's re-elected President Macron in Berlin on Monday. They would continue to do all they could to provide financial, humanitarian and also military support for Ukraine in order to end the war, said Scholz.
- Ukraine EU Membership Decades Away, Macron Says, Proposes 'Political Community' For Aspiring Countries RFE/RL 09 May 2022 -- French President Emmanuel Macron says it could take several years for Ukraine to formally join the European Union and proposed the creation of a new political organization for European countries that share common values.
- Macron Says Ukraine's Accession to EU May Take Decades Sputnik 09 May 2022 -- French President Emmanuel Macron said on Monday that it could take years or even decades for Ukraine to become a member of the European Union unless the bloc lowers its accession standards.
- Von Der Leyen Says Talks With Hungary's Orban On Russian Oil Ban 'Helpful' In Clarifying Issues RFE/RL 09 May 2022 -- European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said she made progress in talks with Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban on a possible European Union-wide ban on Russian fossil fuels.
- Budapest Refuses to Back Russian Oil Ban Until Hungary's Energy Concerns Addressed Sputnik 09 May 2022 -- Hungary will not vote for a new package of EU sanctions that includes a ban on Russian oil unless Brussels offers Budapest options to ensure energy security, Hungarian government said on Monday.
- Speech by Defence Secretary on Russia's invasion of Ukraine UK MOD 09 May 2022 -- Defence Secretary Ben Wallace MP gave a speech at the National Army Museum, London, on Russia's illegal and unprovoked invasion of Ukraine. - "I know soldiers in the Russian army will not get a voice and there will be thousands of mothers and wives who do not agree with this illegal war, who will be asking themselves why these things happened. They will of course be shamed into silence by the FSB and others. But for them let me read the charge sheet that perhaps should be laid at the feet of the General Staff of the Russian Army: Bad battle preparation, poor operational planning, inadequate equipment and support and most importantly corruption and the moral component."
- UK imposes fresh sanctions on Russia, Belarus Press TV 09 May 2022 -- The UK has imposed new sanctions on Russia and Belarus over Moscow's military operation in Ukraine including punitive import tariffs on precious metals and export bans.
- Sweden and Poland mobilised humanitarian support for Ukraine Government Offices of Sweden 09 May 2022 -- On 5 may more than SEK 60 billion in support was announced at a donor conference for Ukraine in Warsaw co-organised by Sweden and Poland together with the EU.
- Facts about Russia-Ukraine conflict: Canadian PM meets Ukrainian president in Kiev People's Daily 09 May 2022 -- The following are the latest developments regarding the conflict between Russia and Ukraine:
- China's Xi Urges Europe to Help Russia, Ukraine Reach Peace Through Talks Sputnik 09 May 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping said on Monday that relevant parties should support Russia and Ukraine in achieving peace through negotiations and prevent the armed conflict from intensifying.
- Iran Pledges to Make Effort in Advocating Peace in Ukraine Sputnik 09 May 2022 -- Iran is calling for an immediate ceasefire in Ukraine and believes that negotiations between Moscow and Kiev should end the conflict between the two countries, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said on Monday.
- Iran's embassy in Ukraine urges Iranians to leave Moldova ISNA 09 May 2022 -- Iran's embassy in Ukraine has urged Iranian nationals to leave Moldova.
- Latest Developments in Ukraine: May 9 VOA 09 May 2022
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|