Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
08 May 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Greetings to leaders and citizens of foreign states on 77th anniversary of Victory in Great Patriotic War President of Russia 08 May 2022 -- On the occasion of the 77th anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War, Vladimir Putin sent messages of greetings to the leaders and people of Azerbaijan, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Abkhazia, South Ossetia, the Donetsk People's Republic, the Lugansk People's Republic, as well as the peoples of Georgia and Ukraine.
- Greetings to Ukrainian Great Patriotic War veterans President of Russia 08 May 2022 -- Vladimir Putin has sent his Victory Day greetings to Ukrainian veterans of the Great Patriotic War.
- Putin Says DPR, LPR Military Fight for Liberation From Nazis as Did Their Ancestors Sputnik 08 May 2022 -- The servicemen of the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics (DPR and LPR) are fighting alongside the Russian military, who have been taking part in the special military operation in Ukraine since 24 February. President Vladimir Putin stressed that the operation was aimed at ending the "genocide" of the Donbass people.
- Russia will be victorious in Ukraine as in 1945, Putin vows Press TV 08 May 2022 -- President Vladimir Putin says Russia will come out victorious in Ukraine as it won World War II in 1945.
- Targeting Russia's Financial, Defense, and Marine Sectors and Promoting Accountability for Russian and Belarusian Military Officials US Dept. of State 08 May 2022 -- "As the people of Ukraine continue to fight bravely against Russia's brutality, we will continue imposing severe costs to hold President Putin accountable for his utter disregard for human rights and fundamental freedoms. We also will hold to account those involved in his war of choice, including those suspected of taking part in atrocities and human rights abuses against civilians."
- State Department Actions to Promote Accountability and Impose Costs on the Russian Government for Putin's Aggression against Ukraine US Dept. of State 08 May 2022 -- The Department of State is taking additional actions to hold accountable those engaged in human rights abuses, to impose severe costs on the Government of the Russian Federation (GoR), and to degrade the Kremlin's ability to support Putin's unprovoked and unjustified war against Ukraine and fund its war of aggression.
- U.S. Treasury Takes Sweeping Action Against Russia's War Efforts US Treasury 08 May 2022 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated individuals and entities critical to Russia's ability to wage war against Ukraine. These include the board members of two of Russia's most important banks, a Russian state-owned bank and 10 of its subsidiaries, a state-supported weapons manufacturer, and three of Russia's state-controlled television stations that generate revenue for the state.
- U.S. Sanctions Russian TV Stations, Prohibits Accounting Services After G7 Leaders Meet RFE/RL 08 May 2022 -- The United States has unveiled sanctions against three Russian television stations and executives from Gazprombank along with a ban on Americans providing accounting and consulting services to Russians after the leaders of the Group of 7 (G7) met virtually with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy to discuss Russia's war against Ukraine.
- Senior U.S. Official Vows More Aid To Ukraine To 'Win This War,' More 'Crippling Sanctions' For Russia RFE/RL 08 May 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin made multiple miscalculations in launching his invasion of Ukraine, a senior U.S. official has told RFE/RL's Ukrainian Service, repeating U.S. assurances that Washington will continue to provide Kyiv with assistance, including military equipment, to "win this war" and rebuild the country after the conflict ends.
- US First Lady Jill Biden Makes Surprise Stop in Ukraine VOA 08 May 2022 -- U.S. first lady Jill Biden made a surprise visit Sunday to Ukraine, where she met with Ukrainian first lady Olena Zelenska at a school that has been converted into a shelter for people fleeing violence and Russian bombing elsewhere in the country.
- U.S. Diplomats Visit Kyiv As Jill Biden Meets Ukraine's First Lady In Unannounced Visit RFE/RL 08 May 2022 -- U.S. diplomats returned to Kyiv on May 8 for a visit to commemorate Victory in Europe Day as U.S. first lady Jill Biden made an unannounced visit to western Ukraine.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Kuleba US Dept. of State 08 May 2022
- Biden warns US spies of leaking Ukraine operations Press TV 08 May 2022 -- US President Joe Biden has reportedly warned his senior intelligence officials that leaks about intelligence sharing with Ukraine's military should be halted since they "distract" Washington from its objectives in the conflict.
- Mysterious US 'suicide drones' shipped to Ukraine made by secretive USAF unit Press TV 08 May 2022 -- The mysterious new Phoenix Ghost UAV - also dubbed a "suicide drone" -- the US supplies to Ukraine was a project overseen by a secretive Air Force office known as Big Safari, the Pentagon has revealed.
- G7 Leaders' Statement The White House 08 May 2022 -- "Today, on 8 May, we, the Leaders of the Group of Seven (G7), alongside Ukraine and the wider global community, commemorate the end of the Second World War in Europe and the liberation from fascism and the National Socialist reign of terror, which caused immeasurable destruction, unspeakable horrors and human suffering. We mourn the millions of victims and offer our respect, especially to all those who paid the ultimate price to defeat the National Socialist regime, including the western Allies and the Soviet Union."
- Background Press Call by a Senior Administration Official on the U.S. and G7 Actions to Impose Additional Severe Costs for Putin's War Against Ukraine The White House 08 May 2022
- FACT SHEET: United States and G7 Partners Impose Severe Costs for Putin's War Against Ukraine The White House 08 May 2022
- US, Allies Bolster Ukraine Support VOA 08 May 2022 -- The United States and other leading economies in the Group of Seven nations Sunday agreed to ban or phase out the purchase of Russian oil, directly targeting a major source of income for Moscow to pay for its 10-week invasion of Ukraine.
- G7 leaders impose new sanctions on Russia; pledge to phase out oil imports Press TV 08 May 2022 -- The Group of Seven industrialized countries announce a new round of sanctions against Russia over its ongoing military operation in Ukraine, vowing that the "unprecedented" bans would hit Russia's economic arteries hard.
- Prime Minister visits Kyiv, Ukraine Prime Minister of Canada 08 May 2022 -- "Today, Canada sends a resounding message to the world that we continue to stand shoulder to shoulder with Ukraine and its people. The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today visited Kyiv, Ukraine, where he met with President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. The Deputy Prime Minister, Chrystia Freeland, and the Minister of Foreign Affairs, M√©lanie Joly, accompanied the Prime Minister."
- Canadian Prime Minister Announces New Military Aid, Sanctions After Meeting In Kyiv With Zelenskiy RFE/RL 08 May 2022 -- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced new weapons and equipment for Ukraine after meeting with President Volodymyr Zelenskiy in Ukraine on May 8.
- PACE President Tiny Kox Says Putin Is 'Dangerous' Because He Has 'Burnt So Many Bridges' RFE/RL 08 May 2022 -- The president of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) has said that the Kremlin should initiate a cease-fire in Ukraine because Russia has "blatantly violated international law," even though Russian President Vladimir Putin has now "burnt so many bridges" he is now "very dangerous."
- Televised address by Olaf Scholz, Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany and Member of the German Bundestag, on the anniversary of the end of the Second World War in Europe Berlin, 8 May 2022 Germany - Federal Government 08 May 2022 -- "The Second World War came to an end in Europe 77 years ago today. (...) Millions of people fell on the battlefields. Millions were murdered in their towns and villages, in concentration camps and extermination camps. Germans were the ones who perpetrated this crime against humanity. It is therefore all the more painful to see how today, at the heart of Europe, 77 years after the end of the Second World War, brutal violence is once again breaking the law. How Russia's army is slaughtering men, women and children in Ukraine, laying waste to towns and cities, even attacking those attempting to flee. "
- Statement by President von der Leyen ahead of Europe Day European Commission 08 May 2022
- PM call with G7 and European leaders and President Zelenskyy: 8 May 2022 Gov.UK 08 May 2022 -- The Prime Minister addressed G7 and European leaders, alongside President Volodymyr Zelenskyy this afternoon, telling them the world must go further and faster to support Ukraine.
- UK pledges further ¬£1.3bn military package to Ukraine Press TV 08 May 2022 -- Britain has announced an extra ¬£1.3 billion in military support to Ukraine, ahead of a virtual meeting of Group of Seven (G7) leaders with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.
- FM Amirabdollahian: Ukraine crisis has political solution IRNA 08 May 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian said on Sunday that the Ukraine crisis has a political solution, adding that Iran is against the war in Ukraine as opposed to the war in Yemen.
- FM: Diplomacy only way out of Ukraine crisis, Iran opposes war anywhere in world Press TV 08 May 2022 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian says the Islamic Republic is against war anywhere in the world, underscoring diplomacy as the sole way out of the crisis in Ukraine.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list