Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
20 April 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Russia Increases Military in Donbas, Demands Ukrainian Troops in Mariupol Surrender VOA 20 Apr 2022 -- Ukraine said Wednesday there was a preliminary agreement in place with Russia to evacuate civilians from the besieged city of Mariupol, while Russia again demanded the remaining Ukrainian troops there give up.
- Russia Launches New Attacks on Mariupol VOA 20 Apr 2022 -- Russia launched new attacks Wednesday on the embattled Ukrainian port city of Mariupol, even as local officials tried to create a humanitarian corridor for women, children and older adults to escape west to the Ukrainian-controlled city of Zaporizhzhia.
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 18.00 on April 20, 2022 Ukraine MOD 20 Apr 2022
- The total combat losses of the enemy from 24.02 to 20.04 Ukraine MOD 20 Apr 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 06.00 on April 20, 2022 Ukraine MOD 20 Apr 2022
- Ukrainian Negotiators Offer To Hold Talks In Mariupol To 'Save Our Guys' RFE/RL 20 Apr 2022 -- Ukraine proposed to hold a "special round" of negotiations with Russia in the besieged city of Mariupol after an ultimatum issued by Russia for the surrender of the last troops still resisting in the city expired on April 20.
- Preliminary Agreement Reached On Evacuating Women, Children, Elderly From Mariupol, Says Ukrainian Government RFE/RL 20 Apr 2022 -- Kyiv has reached a preliminary agreement with Russia on creating a humanitarian corridor to evacuate women, children, and the elderly from the besieged city of Mariupol on April 20, Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk said.
- Russia sets new deadline for Ukrainian forces to surrender in Mariupol Press TV 20 Apr 2022 -- Russia has given the Ukrainian soldiers still holding out in the strategic southern port city of Mariupol a new ultimatum to surrender, as Moscow pushes a new military offensive in Ukraine's east.
- Ukraine, Russia conduct fifth prisoner swap People's Daily 20 Apr 2022 -- Ukraine and Russia on Tuesday conducted their fifth prisoner exchange since the start of the conflict, Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk said.
- Remarks by President Biden Before Meeting with the Secretary of Defense, Deputy Secretary of Defense, Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Combatant Commanders The White House 20 Apr 2022
- Biden Convenes Top Military Leaders to Discuss Ukraine VOA 20 Apr 2022 -- As Russia launched new attacks Wednesday on the embattled Ukrainian port city of Mariupol, President Joe Biden convened his military leadership to get the latest assessment of the Russian invasion.
- Pentagon Press Secretary Statement Regarding Ukraine Aircraft, 20 April DoD 20 Apr 2022 -- "Yesterday I said at the briefing that Ukraine had received "whole aircraft." I didn't say the word "whole," but that was the impression that I gave you. I was mistaken. They have not received whole aircraft from another nation."
- US weapons shipments for Ukraine disappearing into 'black hole': CNN Press TV 20 Apr 2022 -- The US government is struggling to track large quantities of "lethal aid" shipped to Ukraine in recent months amid raging conflict in the country, according to a stunning new revelation.
- Joint IMFC and Development Committee Statement by Treasury Secretary Janet L. Yellen US Treasury 20 Apr 2022 -- The United States, in the strongest terms, condemns Russia's illegal, unprovoked war against Ukraine. Russia's invasion is an assault on fundamental international rules and norms and threatens the core of the international order. The United States stands resolutely with the Ukrainian government and the Ukrainian people.
- Update 58 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 20 Apr 2022 -- Ukraine informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) today that the general situation in the area around the Chornobyl Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) "remained difficult" due to destroyed bridges and demining activities and that the national regulator had still not had an "opportunity to inspect" the facility, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said.
- UN Agency Says More Than 5 Million Refugees Have Left Ukraine RFE/RL 20 Apr 2022 -- The UN refugee agency says that the number of Ukrainians who have fled their country since Russia launched its unprovoked invasion has now surpassed 5 million in what is Europe's largest influx of refugees since World War II.
- Guterres requests meetings with Russian and Ukrainian Presidents UN News 20 Apr 2022 -- In efforts to end the war in Ukraine, Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres has written separate letters to the leaders of Russia and Ukraine to request meetings with them in their respective capitals, the United Nations said on Wednesday.
- WFP Says Food Now Reaching Ukraine's Formerly Inaccessible Areas VOA 20 Apr 2022 -- The World Food Program says it is scaling up delivery of food aid into previously inaccessible areas of Ukraine's conflict but too many areas remain out of reach.
- Action Plan on Strengthening Sanctions against the Russian Federation The International Working Group on Russian Sanctions 19 Apr 2022, Released 20 Apr 2022
- US, Britain, Canada pledge artillery for Ukraine, leaders say Press TV 20 Apr 2022 -- The US, the UK and Canada will send more military weaponry to Ukraine, their leaders have announced as the Russian military operation reached a new phase.
- Joint Statement of the Foreign Ministers of Germany, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania on Russia's military aggression against Ukraine Germany Federal Foreign Office 20 Apr 2022
- Remarks by President Charles Michel at the press conference following his meeting with President Volodymyr Zelenskyy in Kyiv European External Action Service (EEAS) 20 Apr 2022
- European Council Chief Michel Says Justice Must Be Done In Ukraine Over Possible War Crimes RFE/RL 20 Apr 2022 -- European Council President Charles Michel, visiting Ukraine in a show of support for the Eastern European nation as it fights to repel Moscow's unprovoked invasion, says there must be justice for alleged atrocities committed by Russian forces.
- China calls for early end to conflict to fundamentally resolve Ukrainian humanitarian crisis Global Times 20 Apr 2022 -- China called on Russia and Ukraine to engage in dialogue and negotiation towards a ceasefire, since an early end to the conflict is the only way to resolve the existing humanitarian crisis, China's Permanent Representative to the United Nations Zhang Jun said on Tuesday at the UN Security Council.
- Supplying offensive weapons to Ukraine to worsen conflict: China UN envoy Press TV 20 Apr 2022 -- China has called on Western countries to refrain from sending offensive weapons to Ukraine, warning that such deliveries will only escalate the ongoing conflict and worsen the humanitarian crisis in the country.
- Australia Grants Refugee Visas to Thousands of Ukrainians Fleeing War VOA 20 Apr 2022 -- About 6,000 Ukrainians have been granted humanitarian visas in Australia. The visas will allow the Ukrainian refugees to work and study for up to three years.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list