Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
06 April 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby Holds a Press Briefing DoD 06 Apr 2022
- DOD: More Javelins Approved for Ukraine; Switchblades On their Way DoD News 06 Apr 2022 -- An additional $100 million in presidential drawdown to support Ukraine was approved yesterday. Part of that will be used to provide additional Javelin anti-armor systems to Ukrainian forces, said Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby.
- U.S. Treasury Secretary Says Russia's Invasion Of Ukraine Will Have 'Enormous' Repercussions RFE/RL 06 Apr 2022 -- U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen has warned that the war in Ukraine will have "enormous economic repercussions" in the country and beyond.
- US bans all new investment in Russia, sanctions Putin's children Press TV 06 Apr 2022 -- As tensions heighten between the West and Russia over the latter's military operation in Ukraine, the US and its allies are set to impose fresh sanctions on Russian banks and ban investments in the country.
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken with Andrea Kalan of the State Department's Russian-Language Telegram Channel US Dept. of State 06 Apr 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken with Andrea Mitchell of NBC US Dept. of State 06 Apr 2022
- US Announces $100 Million in Military Aid for Ukraine VOA 06 Apr 2022 -- The United States announced $100 million in military aid for Ukraine as NATO foreign ministers gathered in Brussels for two days of talks about the Ukraine conflict.
- US to send $100 million in additional military aid to Ukraine Press TV 06 Apr 2022 -- The United States has said it will send up to $100 million in additional military aid to Ukraine as Russia's military operation continues there.
- A Message to the Congress, on Prohibiting New Investment in and Certain Services to the Russian Federation in Response to Continued Russian Federation Aggression The White House 06 Apr 2022
- Prohibiting New Investment in and Certain Services to the Russian Federation in Response to Continued Russian Federation Aggression The White House 06 Apr 2022
- Background Press Call by Senior Administration Officials on New Economic Costs on Russia The White House 06 Apr 2022
- FACT SHEET: United States, G7 and EU Impose Severe and Immediate Costs on Russia The White House 06 Apr 2022
- US Slaps New Sanctions on Russian Banks & Politicians, Bans New Investments Sputnik 06 Apr 2022 -- The new round of sanctions comes on top of a spate of measures imposed on Moscow by the US and its European allies in response to the start of the special military operation in Ukraine on 24 February. The Kremlin said that the operation was launched to defend the Donetsk and Lugansk People's republics (DPR and LPR) from Ukrainian aggression.
- Targeting Additional Russian Financial Institutions, Officials, and Other Individuals US Dept. of State 06 Apr 2022 -- "The United States is united with our allies and partners to ensure the Government of Russia pays a severe price for causing such death and destruction in Ukraine, and particularly for the horrors in Bucha and elsewhere."
- U.S. Treasury Escalates Sanctions on Russia for Its Atrocities in Ukraine US Treasury 06 Apr 2022 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) took major steps to degrade the economy of the Russian Federation in response to Russia's continued brutal war against Ukraine and atrocities against Ukrainian citizens. Treasury is imposing full blocking sanctions on Sberbank, Russia's largest state-owned bank, and Alfa-Bank, Russia's largest private bank. Treasury is also targeting family members of President Vladimir Putin (Putin) and Foreign Minster Sergey Lavrov (Lavrov), as well as Russian Security Council members who are complicit in the war against Ukraine.
- Russian Oligarch Charged with Violating U.S. Sanctions US Dept. of Justice 06 Apr 2022 -- Defendant Hired American Citizen Jack Hanick to Work for His Television Network in Russia and Illegally Transferred $10 Million U.S. Investment to Business Associate
- U.S. Indicts Russian Oligarch Tied To Financing Separatists In Crimea For Alleged Sanctions Violations RFE/RL 06 Apr 2022 -- The United States has announced the indictment of Russian businessman Konstantin Malofeyev for sanctions violations as the U.S. Justice Department accelerates efforts to track down illicit Russian assets.
- Update 44 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 06 Apr 2022 -- Ukraine informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) today that there had been no significant new developments related to nuclear safety or security in the country over the past 24 hours, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said.
- Ukraine: Hundreds more reach safety after fleeing besieged Mariupol UN News 06 Apr 2022 -- In Ukraine, humanitarians said on Wednesday that hundreds of people have managed to reach safety after fleeing Mariupol, where there's also been condemnation for the killing of Lithuanian filmmaker Mantas Kvedaravicius, as he tried to escape from the besieged and battered city a few days ago.
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with French, German, Italian, and UK Counterparts US Dept. of State 06 Apr 2022
- US, Allies Impose New Sanctions on Russia, Including Targeting Putin's Children VOA 06 Apr 2022 -- The United States and its Western allies said they have imposed "new, severe and immediate economic sanctions" against Russia, banning American investment there, fully blocking the country's largest financial institutions and targeting assets held by President Vladimir Putin's adult children.
- Speech by President von der Leyen at the EP Plenary on the conclusions of the EUCO meeting of 24-25 March 2022, including the latest developments of the war against Ukraine and the EU sanctions against Russia and their implementation European Commission 06 Apr 2022
- EU's Michel Says Sanctions On Russian Oil, Gas Will Be Needed 'Sooner Or Later' RFE/RL 06 Apr 2022 -- European Council chief Charles Michel says the European Union will need to slap sanctions on Russian energy such as oil and gas "sooner or later," as the bloc looks to ramp up pressure on Moscow in the face of reports of war atrocities being committed in Ukraine by Russian troops.
- EU Adopts New Sanctions Against Russia VOA 06 Apr 2022 -- The European Union is expected to join the United States in imposing new sanctions against Russia as horrific reports of possible war crimes in Ukraine continue to surface. But critics, including some EU members, are calling the measures insufficient.
- EU expels "a number of" Russian diplomats People's Daily 06 Apr 2022 -- The European Union (EU) has declared a number of Russian diplomats working in Brussels "persona non grata" and ordered them to leave host nation Belgium, the bloc's foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said on Tuesday.
- Greece Says It Is Expelling 12 Russian Diplomats RFE/RL 06 Apr 2022 -- Greece has become the latest European country to expel Russian diplomats, saying 12 members of the country's diplomatic and consular missions had been designated as personae non gratae.
- Denmark expels 15 Russian diplomats on espionage accusation People's Daily 06 Apr 2022 -- Danish Foreign Minister Jeppe Kofod announced the expulsion of 15 Russian diplomatic staff members during a Foreign Policy Board meeting on Tuesday, accusing them as "intelligence officers" for espionage.
- Latvia closes Russia's consulates, expels staff People's Daily 06 Apr 2022 -- Latvia on Tuesday ordered the closure of Russia's two consular posts and declared the diplomatic staff there personae non grata. They must leave the country by April 30.
- Italy, Romania expel 40 Russian diplomats People's Daily 06 Apr 2022 -- Italy's foreign ministry announced the expulsion of 30 Russian diplomats on Tuesday for what it called "reasons related to national security."
- Portugal expels 10 Russian embassy employees People's Daily 06 Apr 2022 -- Portugal on Tuesday announced its decision to expel 10 employees of the Russian Embassy in Lisbon, the country's Lusa News Agency has reported.
- Spain to expel 27 Russian diplomats People's Daily 06 Apr 2022 -- Spain will expel 27 Russian diplomats and embassy staff in the next few days, Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares said here on Tuesday.
- Federal Chancellor Scholz in the Bundestag - "The Russian president has made several miscalculations" Germany - Federal Government 06 Apr 2022 -- Germany continues to do everything in its power to support Ukraine as best it can - always in coordination with our friends and allies. This was emphasised by Federal Chancellor Olaf Scholz in the Bundestag on Wednesday. The European Union would consistently increase the pressure on Russia, said Scholz.
- Russia's war in Ukraine is also an attack on the security and freedom of Europe: UK statement to the OSCE, 6 April 2022 UK FCDO 06 Apr 2022 -- Ian Stubbs (UK delegation to the OSCE) criticises Russian delegates for repeatedly lying in the OSCE Forum for Security Co-operation and for shattering trust that underpins the European Security Architecture.
- UK imposes sweeping new sanctions to starve Putin's war machine UK FCDO 06 Apr 2022 -- The Foreign Secretary has today (Wednesday 6 April) announced a significant ratcheting up of UK sanctions on Russia.
- Hungary's Foreign Ministry Summons Ukraine's Ambassador Over 'Offensive Comments' RFE/RL 06 Apr 2022 -- Hungary's Foreign Ministry has summoned Ukraine's ambassador to Budapest over what it described as offensive comments from Kyiv regarding Budapest's stance on Russia's invasion.
- Hungary Breaks With EU, Will Pay For Russian Gas In Rubles RFE/RL 06 Apr 2022 -- Hungary has broken ranks with the European Union, saying it will accept Moscow's demand that gas supplies be paid for in rubles.
- EU Member Hungary Weighs Buying Russian Gas in Rubles, Orban Says Sputnik 06 Apr 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin announced late last month that Russia would transfer payments for gas exports into rubles for "unfriendly" countries after Western nations froze Russian assets in US dollars and Euros, sparking talk of a "petro-ruble" to rival the mighty petrodollar.
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with Belgian Foreign Minister WilmÃ¨s US Dept. of State 06 Apr 2022
- Cyprus rules out transfer of Russian-made weapons to Ukraine People's Daily 06 Apr 2022 -- Cyprus cannot accept the United States' suggestion to send its Russian-made weapons to Ukraine as this would create gaps in its deterrence capabilities, Defense Minister Charalambos Petrides said here on Tuesday.
- Taiwan steps up sanctions, bans select high-tech exports to Russia CNA 06 Apr 2022 -- Taiwan on Wednesday listed 57 strategic high-tech goods which can be used for both civil and military purposes it will not allow to be exported to Russia as it steps up economic sanctions against the country over its invasion of Ukraine.
- President Says Kazakhstan 'Respects' Ukraine's Territorial Integrity RFE/RL 06 Apr 2022 -- Kazakh President Qasym-Zhomart Toqaev says his country respects the territorial integrity of Ukraine, which has come under attack from Russia.
- China urges restraint, probe of Bucha incident in Ukraine Global Times 06 Apr 2022 -- China has been greatly concerned about the humanitarian situation in Ukraine, especially harm on civilians, said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Wednesday, noting the reports and images about the deaths of civilians in Bucha are deeply disturbing and that the truth of the incident must be thoroughly investigated.
- Iran calls for political solution to Ukraine conflict IRNA 06 Apr 2022 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian told his Hungarian counterpart on Wednesday that the Islamic Republic wants a political solution to the ongoing Ukraine conflict.
- Iran FM calls for concerted efforts to reach political solution in Ukraine crisis Press TV 06 Apr 2022 -- Iran's foreign minister has called for concerted efforts to reach a political solution to end the ongoing conflict between Russia and Ukraine, reiterating Tehran's stance of rejecting wars and sanctions.
- India Condemns Civilian Killings in Ukraine VOA 06 Apr 2022 -- India has condemned the killing of civilians in Ukraine, marking the first time New Delhi has publicly criticized actions blamed on Russia but also said that Moscow continues to be a critical economic partner.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list