Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
31 March 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 18.00 on March 31, 2022 Ukraine MOD 31 Mar 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 12.00 on March 31, 2022 Ukraine MOD 31 Mar 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 06.00 on March 31, 2022 Ukraine MOD 31 Mar 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 24.00 on March 30, 2022 Ukraine MOD 31 Mar 2022
- Senior Defense Official Holds a Background Briefing DoD 31 Mar 2022
- Russia Possibly Repositioning Forces to Donbas DoD News 31 Mar 2022 -- About 20 percent of the Russian forces to the north of Kyiv are repositioning, and while American officials do not know where they are going, they don't think they are going home.
- Some Russian Forces Disengage From Kyiv, but Airstrikes Continue DoD News 31 Mar 2022 -- Although some Russian forces continue to disengage from positions north and east of the Ukrainian capital, airstrikes continue, and Kyiv is still in danger, a senior defense official said today.
- Statement by Foreign Minister Baerbock on the situation in Mariupol Germany Federal Foreign Office 31 Mar 2022 -- Far in excess of 100,000 civilians are still trapped in Mariupol - including children, women, men and the elderly.
- Russia announces ceasefire in Ukrainian city of Mariupol to allow civilian evacuation Press TV 31 Mar 2022 -- Russia has announced a local ceasefire to allow civilians to be evacuated from Ukraine's besieged port city of Mariupol, calling on Kiev to respect the truce, as the conflict between the neighbors rages on.
- Ukraine Nuclear Power Operator Says Most Russian Forces Have Left Chernobyl RFE/RL 31 Mar 2022 -- All Russian troops who occupied the Chernobyl nuclear power station after Russia launched its invasion of Ukraine have left the decommissioned plant, Ukraine's state nuclear company Energoatom said on March 31.
- Bus Convoy Headed To Mariupol In New Attempt To Evacuate Ukrainian Civilians RFE/RL 31 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk says a convoy of 45 buses is headed to the besieged city of Mariupol in an attempt to evacuate civilians trapped by weeks of heavy fighting between Russian and Ukrainian troops.
- Ukraine sets up three humanitarian corridors People's Daily 31 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine established three humanitarian corridors on Wednesday, Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk said on Telegram.
- Ukraine confirms partial withdrawal of Russian troops from Kiev, Chernihiv directions People's Daily 31 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian Defense Ministry's spokesman Olexandr Motuzyanyk on Wednesday confirmed that Russia has been withdrawing some troops from Kiev and Chernihiv directions, in central and northern Ukraine respectively, the Interfax-Ukraine news agency reported.
- Russia redeploys troops from Kiev, Chernihiv directions to east: Ukraine's security chief People's Daily 31 Mar 2022 -- Russia is redeploying its troops from Kiev and Chernihiv directions, in the central and northern Ukraine respectively, to Ukraine's eastern regions, Oleksiy Danilov, the Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council, said Wednesday.
- DPR: Republic Cannot Be Part of Ukraine After Number of Countries Recognised It Sputnik 31 Mar 2022 -- On 21 February, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed decrees recognising the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics.
- Official Says U.S., Allies Concerned That Putin Is Misinformed About Ukraine War DoD News 31 Mar 2022 -- Russian military leaders have not been honest with Russia's President Vladimir Putin about the realities on the ground in Ukraine, and Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby said Wednesday that the lack of honesty between Putin and his generals is a concern to the United States and allies.
- Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby Holds a Press Briefing, March 31, 2022 DoD 31 Mar 2022
- Putin: Russia to halt gas flow to Europe if payment conditions not met Press TV 31 Mar 2022 -- President Vladimir Putin says Russia will halt its gas contracts with European buyers if they do not pay in rubles.
- Putin Signs Decree Creating Ruble Payment System For Russian Gas To Bolster Currency RFE/RL 31 Mar 2022 -- President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree forcing some purchasers of Russian gas to set up a special account to pay for their supplies as the country tries to cope with the impact of Western sanctions imposed because of Moscow's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine last month.
- Putin Demands Western Countries Pay for Gas in Rubles VOA 31 Mar 2022 -- Foreign buyers of Russian gas could have to pay in rubles starting April 1, according to a decree signed Thursday by Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- US blacklists Russian entities for 'evasion of international sanctions' Press TV 31 Mar 2022 -- The administration of US President Joe Biden has imposed sanctions on dozens of Russian individuals and entities it says are working to evade US-led sanctions aimed at imposing severe costs on Moscow and bankrupting the country's military, ratcheting up Washington's offensive against Moscow over the military campaign in Ukraine.
- Biden Announces Move To Ease Pain Of Rising Oil Prices In U.S., Says Putin Appears To Be Self-Isolating RFE/RL 31 Mar 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden has ordered the release of 1 million barrels of oil per day from the nation's strategic petroleum reserve in a bid to control energy prices for U.S. consumers.
- U.S. Imposes New Round Of Sanctions Targeting Russian Technology Companies RFE/RL 31 Mar 2022 -- The United States has slapped sanctions on several Russian technology firms, including its largest chipmaker, and people associated with them over Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- Additional Sanctions on Russia's Technology Companies and Cyber Actors US Dept. of State 31 Mar 2022 -- The United States will continue to impose severe costs on the Russian Federation in response to President Putin's illegal war. Today, we are targeting entities and individuals in our efforts to shut down the Kremlin's sanctions evasion networks, which play an important role in the Russian Federation's ability to continue its unconscionable war on the citizens of Ukraine. This follows our March 15 and March 24 designations of individuals and companies in Russia's defense-industrial base that are directly supporting Putin's war machine.
- Treasury Targets Sanctions Evasion Networks and Russian Technology Companies Enabling Putin's War US Treasury 31 Mar 2022 -- Today, the Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) is continuing to impose severe costs on the Russian Federation for its unprovoked and unjustified war against Ukraine by targeting operators in the Russian technology sector to prevent it from evading unprecedented multilateral sanctions and procure critical western technology.
- Emergency in Ukraine - External Situation Report #5 WHO 31 Mar 2022
- Update 38 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 31 Mar 2022 -- The Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Rafael Mariano Grossi, arrived in Kaliningrad today for talks with senior Russian officials tomorrow morning.
- UN High Commissioner for Refugees calls for immediate end to Ukraine war, which has uprooted over 10 million people UNHCR 31 Mar 2022 -- Visiting Ukraine for the first time since the Russian military offensive, UN High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi appealed today in the strongest terms for an end to the war, while calling on the international community to provide sustained support to the millions of civilians impacted by the fighting.
- Ukraine: Second UN convoy reaches Sumy, Mariupol access thwarted UN News 31 Mar 2022 -- UN humanitarian agencies and partners on the ground in Ukraine, were able to reach the town of Sumy, in the country's northeast on Thursday, but access to the besieged and stricken city of Mariupol, where thousands of civilians are believed to have died amidst the brutal Russian bombardment, has yet to be given.
- French Military Intel Chief Sacked Over 'Lack of Understanding of the Issues' Amid Ukraine Crisis Sputnik 31 Mar 2022 -- France joined its NATO allies in providing military support to Ukraine, committing 300 million euros in "defensive aid", equipment and fuel. In the weeks leading up to the crisis, French President Emmanuel Macron held a series of back-and-forth talks with his Russian and Ukrainian counterparts in an apparent attempt to defuse tensions.
- Director GCHQ's speech on global security amid war in Ukraine GCHQ 31 Mar 2022 -- Director GCHQ Sir Jeremy Fleming's full speech from the Australian National University (Thursday 31st March 2022)
- Russia blocks decision on the mandate extension of OSCE's Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine: UK statement to the OSCE, 31 March 2022 UK FCDO 31 Mar 2022 -- UK Ambassador Neil Bush calls out Russia for blocking the decision to extend the mandate of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine.
- The human cost of Russia's war in Ukraine continues to grow: UK statement to the OSCE, 31 March 2022 UK FCDO 31 Mar 2022 -- UK Ambassador Neil Bush pays tribute to Ukrainian civil society organisations for their work in shining a light on Russian atrocities so Russia can be held accountable for its actions.
- UK convenes international conference to secure military aid for Ukraine UK MOD 31 Mar 2022 -- The Defence Secretary hosted the second International Defence Donor Conference for Ukraine, leading efforts of partners to bolster the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
- UK announces new sanctions targeting Russian state media Press TV 31 Mar 2022 -- The United Kingdom has announced a new set of sanctions targeting Russian state media, ratcheting up the US-led offensive against Moscow over the Russian military campaign in Ukraine.
- Britain Slaps Sanctions On Putin's 'Shameless Propagandists,' Russian General RFE/RL 31 Mar 2022 -- The British government has announced sanctions on more than a dozen Russian media personalities and organizations that it accuses of spreading propaganda and disinformation about Moscow's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.
- Foreign Secretary in India as part of diplomatic push on Ukraine UK FCDO 31 Mar 2022 -- Liz Truss's visit to Delhi comes ahead of NATO and G7 meetings next week to tackle Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- India receives flurry of foreign visits over Ukraine, a 'comfortable situation' due to its autonomous stance Global Times 31 Mar 2022 -- New Delhi is set to be busy these days as US deputy national security advisor Daleep Singh, Washington's key architect for sanctions on Russia, landed on Thursday with the expectation to pressure India to loosen ties with Russia, whose foreign minister Sergey Lavrov is scheduled to visit India the following day.
- Turkey Will Not Join Sanctions Against Russia - Erdogan Sputnik 31 Mar 2022 -- Previously, Erdogan explained that Turkey receives about half of its natural gas from Russia, and that Russia helps Turkey build the Akkuyu nuclear power plant.
- Ukraine: For solidarity and humanity Germany Federal Foreign Office 31 Mar 2022 -- Hunger, forced migration, displacement, cold: the war of aggression against Ukraine has driven millions into great need. Germany is now making 370 million euro available to help in this situation.
- PM Draghi: Putin says conditions not yet in place for ceasefire in Ukraine Press TV 31 Mar 2022 -- Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi says Russian President Vladimir Putin has told him that conditions are not yet in place for a ceasefire in Ukraine, more than a month after Moscow began a military operation in the country.
- EU Antitrust Investigators Raided Gazprom's German Offices -- Reports RFE/RL 31 Mar 2022 -- EU antitrust investigators have raided the German offices of Russia's state-owned energy giant Gazprom on suspicion that it had illegally pushed up prices in Europe, according to several news reports.
- Indonesian foreign minister calls on Russia to stop war with Ukraine Radio Free Asia 31 Mar 2022 -- During a meeting with her Russian counterpart in China this week, Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi said she pressed Moscow to end its war with Ukraine, citing the urgent humanitarian situation and the conflict's ripple effects on the world economy.
- U.S. counterproductive practices are making troubles for political settlement of Ukraine crisis People's Daily 31 Mar 2022 -- NATO recently convened a summit as the Ukraine crisis entered its second month. Promoting peace and talks for an early ceasefire should have been a priority for the U.S.-led alliance. However, the messages sent by the summit were disappointing.
- Egypt, Ukraine leaders discuss Russia-Ukraine peace talks over phone People's Daily 31 Mar 2022 -- Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi on Wednesday received a phone call from his Ukrainian counterpart Volodymyr Zelensky, the second in one week, during which they discussed "the developments of the Ukrainian crisis," said the Egyptian presidency.
- War in Ukraine pushes Middle East and North Africa deeper into hunger as food prices reach alarming highs WFP 31 Mar 2022 -- As the Muslim holy month of Ramadan begins, the soaring cost of food staples in import-dependent Middle Eastern and North African countries is creating ever greater challenges for millions of families already struggling to keep hunger at bay, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) said today.
- EU, Chinese Leaders Meet Amid Backdrop of Ukraine Conflict VOA 31 Mar 2022 -- Plans for a European Union-China summit were already laid before Russia invaded Ukraine last month â€” although Beijing's formal announcement it would attend only came this week. On the agenda are issues like climate change, trade and what the EU describes as "universal values." But the Ukraine conflict tops it.
- Credit Card Tourism: Russians Avoid Sanctions By Flying To Uzbekistan For VISA, Mastercards RFE/RL 31 Mar 2022 -- Russian visits to the Uzbek capital of Tashkent are in high demand, travel agencies say, since they started offering "debit-card" tours with the aim of obtaining Mastercard and VISA cards from Uzbek banks.
- Norwegian Intelligence Sees 'No Alternatives' to Putin Sputnik 31 Mar 2022 -- According to the head of the Norwegian Intelligence Service, Vladimir Putin, the second-longest serving European leader, may be under pressure under current circumstances, but has no real challengers.
- Interview: Russia's 'Failure' Leads To The Next Phase Of The Ukraine War RFE/RL 31 Mar 2022 -- Officials from Russia and Ukraine said they have agreed on a temporary cease-fire in the besieged southeastern port city of Mariupol to allow civilians to evacuate and humanitarian aid to enter.
- Could Russia Get Away With War Crimes in Ukraine? VOA 31 Mar 2022 -- War crimes happen whenever there is war, but seldom have they been investigated in real time and within weeks of the outbreak of hostilities, as is happening with Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- Red Cross Warns of Burgeoning Health Crisis in Ukraine VOA 31 Mar 2022 -- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is warning of a burgeoning health crisis in Ukraine, which is likely to last longer than the conflict itself.
- Swiss Envoy Sees Lesson for Democracies in Ukraine War VOA 31 Mar 2022 -- For Jacques Pitteloud, Switzerland's ambassador in Washington, the Russian invasion of Ukraine has brought back memories of Soviet tanks rolling into Czechoslovakia in 1968, crushing a set of democratic reforms known at the time as the "Prague Spring."
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list