Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
30 March 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Russia Escalates Attacks on Ukraine as Peace Talks Apparently at Impasse VOA 30 Mar 2022 -- Russia has violated its pledge to scale back military operations on the outskirts of the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, and the northern city of Chernihiv, Ukrainian officials said Wednesday, as little progress was reported in the latest round of peace talks between the two countries.
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 18.00 on March 30, 2022 Ukraine MOD 30 Mar 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 12.00 on March 30, 2022 Ukraine MOD 30 Mar 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 06.00 on March 30, 2022 Ukraine MOD 30 Mar 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 24.00 on March 29, 2022 Ukraine MOD 30 Mar 2022
- More Than 4 Million Ukrainians Have Now Fled Country, UN Says RFE/RL 30 Mar 2022 -- The United Nations says more than 4 million Ukrainians have now left the country to flee Russia's unprovoked invasion, and the world body's human rights commissioner expressed concern about indiscriminate attacks by Russian forces in Ukraine, saying some of them could amount to war crimes.
- Ukraine Tells Russia To Pull Back From Chernobyl As Munitions Could Explode RFE/RL 30 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk says Russian forces occupying the defunct Chernobyl nuclear power station must pull out of the area after Ukraine's armed forces warned there is a danger of ammunition exploding at the site.
- Red Cross Building In Mariupol Hit By Russian Strikes, Ombudswoman Says RFE/RL 30 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian ombudswoman Lyudmyla Denisova says the Red Cross building in the besieged city of Mariupol has been hit by Russian air strikes and artillery.
- Russia 'Taking Incredible Losses' In Ukraine, Senior U.S. Official Says RFE/RL 30 Mar 2022 -- Russia has been sustaining "incredible" losses since the start of its unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, a senior U.S. State Department official says, putting the figure at more than 10,000 killed since the attack was launched just over a month ago.
- Russia-Ukraine talks "constructive" to settle conflict People's Daily 30 Mar 2022 -- Russian and Ukrainian delegations held "constructive" negotiations in Turkey on Tuesday, raising the curtain on concrete efforts of both sides to broker a solution to the current conflict.
- Ukrainian Su-24 Jet Downed During Air Combat Near Belarusian Border, Russian MoD Says Sputnik 30 Mar 2022 -- On 24 February, Russia launched a special military operation in Ukraine after the breakaway republics of Donetsk and Lugansk appealed for help in defending themselves against attacks by Ukrainian troops.
- Russian military to significantly reduce hostilities near Kiev, Chernihiv People's Daily 30 Mar 2022 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has decided to significantly reduce military activity in the Kiev and Chernihiv directions, Russian Deputy Defense Minister Alexander Fomin announced Tuesday.
- New round of Russia-Ukraine talks end in Istanbul People's Daily 30 Mar 2022 -- Russia and Ukraine have concluded their fresh round of face-to-face peace talks here on Tuesday, which lasted for about three hours.
- Comment by Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova on US Senator Robert Menendez's letter to IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 30 Mar 2022
- Lavrov: Kiev's Readiness to Ensure Non-Bloc, Non-Nuclear Status of Ukraine is Significant Progress Sputnik 30 Mar 2022 -- The Ukrainian side rolled out a list of proposals during its talks with Russia in Istanbul, Turkey, on Tuesday, that included Kiev agreeing to a non-bloc and non-nuclear status and rejecting the idea of returning Crimea and Donbass by military means, among others.
- 'Crimea is Russia': Kremlin Refuses to Discuss Peninsula's Status With Ukraine Sputnik 30 Mar 2022 -- In an emergency referendum held in the aftermath of a coup d'etat in Kiev in the spring of 2014, the peninsula's residents voted overwhelmingly in favour of returning to Russia's jurisdiction, just over sixty years after the region was transferred to the Ukrainian SSR in 1954 by Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev.
- Kremlin Downplays Progress in Peace Talks With Ukraine RFE/RL 30 Mar 2022 -- The Kremlin has downplayed talk of progress in peace talks with Ukraine to end Moscow's attack on its neighbor, saying there was nothing "too promising" in the results of a round of discussions in Istanbul.
- Telephone conversation with Federal Chancellor of Germany Olaf Scholz President of Russia 30 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with Federal Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany Olaf Scholz.
- Kremlin says no 'breakthrough' in peace talks with Ukraine Press TV 30 Mar 2022 -- The Kremlin has said there was nothing "too promising" in the results of a round of discussions between Russian and Ukrainian delegates in the Turkish city of Istanbul a day earlier.
- Putin-Zelensky meeting possible only after agreement ready: Russian chief negotiator People's Daily 30 Mar 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky are likely to meet only after an agreement is ready for signing, Vladimir Medinsky, the head of Russia's negotiation team, said Tuesday.
- Russian chief negotiator says talks with Ukraine "constructive" People's Daily 30 Mar 2022 -- Russian and Ukrainian delegations held "constructive" negotiations in Turkey's Istanbul on Tuesday, leading to steps to mitigate the situation, said Vladimir Medinsky, head of Russia's negotiation team.
- Putin, Macron discuss situation in Ukraine over phone People's Daily 30 Mar 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron held a phone conversation on Tuesday to continue discussions of the situation in Ukraine, shortly after a new round of Moscow-Kiev peace talks ended in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Telephone conversation with Prime Minister of Italy Mario Draghi President of Russia 30 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with Prime Minister of the Italian Republic Mario Draghi.
- Update 37 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 30 Mar 2022 -- The Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Rafael Mariano Grossi, was at the South Ukraine Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) today to meet senior Ukrainian government officials as well as staff, and to start the IAEA's technical assistance for the safety and security of the country's nuclear facilities.
- WFP reaches one million people with life-saving food support in conflict-stricken Ukraine WFP 30 Mar 2022 -- One month into the conflict in Ukraine, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is providing emergency food assistance to one million people in the country and has built systems able to deliver food at scale to communities in need. Trucks, trains and mini vans are today delivering food supplies to the most vulnerable people across the country and more convoys are expected in coming days.
- Ukraine war: Russia used cluster weapons at least 24 times, says UN's Bachelet UN News 30 Mar 2022 -- Credible reports indicate that Russian armed forces have used cluster munitions in populated areas of Ukraine, at least two dozen times since they invaded on 24 February, UN rights chief Michelle Bachelet said on Wednesday.
- Ukraine: UNESCO's response to children's education needs UN News 30 Mar 2022 -- Since the start of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, more than 4 million people have fled the country - two million of them, are children. As the UN agency mandated to coordinate and lead on global education, UNESCO is carefully mapping exactly how host countries are supporting and providing education, to help keep young Ukrainian refugees on track - their lives totally upended in a matter of weeks.
- UN Rights Chief Tells Russia to Stop War in Ukraine Immediately VOA 30 Mar 2022 -- The U.N. high commissioner for human rights on Wednesday called Russia to immediately withdraw its troops from Ukraine and stop the war that she said had caused immeasurable suffering and grief for millions of people.
- Two million refugee children flee war in Ukraine in search of safety across borders UNICEF 30 Mar 2022 -- With an additional 2.5 million children displaced within country, 60 per cent of children now forced from their homes as attacks on urban areas continue
- UNICEF: More Than 2 Million Children Have Fled Ukraine VOA 30 Mar 2022 -- The United Nation's children's agency says some 2 million children have fled the fighting in Ukraine, with another 2.5 million driven from their homes within the country.
- IAEA chief visits Ukraine to discuss nuclear safety support People's Daily 30 Mar 2022 -- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director-General Rafael Grossi arrived in Ukraine on Tuesday for talks with senior Ukrainian officials on delivering urgent technical assistance to ensure the security of the country's nuclear facilities, the IAEA said.
- U.S.-EU Joint Press Release by the EEAS and Department of State on the First U.S.-EU High-Level Dialogue on Russia US Dept. of State 30 Mar 2022 -- The following is the text of a joint press release by the U.S. Department of State and the European External Action Service.
- Congress President strongly condemns abductions of Ukrainian mayors and elected representatives Council of Europe 30 Mar 2022 -- Following up on his statement of 15 March 2022 concerning the abduction of mayors from the Melitopol and Dniprorudne, Zaporizhya oblast, and the Congress Declaration adopted on 24 March 2022, the Congress President Leendert Verbeek has made the following statement regarding the war in Ukraine:
- UN Human Rights Council 49: UK statement for the interactive dialogue on the High Commissioner's oral report on Ukraine UK FCDO 30 Mar 2022 -- Simon Manley, UK Permanent Representative to the UN in Geneva, delivered the statement, outlining that the new Commission of Inquiry is an important step to investigate and record Russia's alleged abuses and violations in Ukraine.
- Russia must stop peddling disinformation about its war against Ukraine: UK statement to the OSCE, 30 March 2022 UK FCDO 30 Mar 2022 -- Ian Stubbs (UK Delegation to the OSCE) again calls out Russia for its unprovoked aggression against Ukraine and those who peddle lies to hide the truth.
- China to continue playing constructive role in promoting de-escalation of Ukraine crisis: FM Global Times 30 Mar 2022 -- China has been doing its best for peace and will continue to play a constructive role in promoting de-escalation of the Ukraine crisis, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Wednesday.
- China, Russia slam 'illegal' international sanctions targeting Putin over Ukraine Radio Free Asia 30 Mar 2022 -- Russia and China further cemented their alliance on Wednesday, hitting out "illegal" international sanctions on Russia in response to its invasion of Ukraine.
- U.S. has inescapable responsibilities for Ukraine crisis People's Daily 30 Mar 2022 -- After experiencing profound changes and a pandemic unprecedented in a century, the globe today is confronted with another major issue - the Ukraine crisis. Solving existing and future challenges and pursuing a ceasefire is a common aspiration of all peace-loving nations and peoples.
- Turkish Drone Industry Banks on Ukrainian Battlefield Successes VOA 30 Mar 2022 -- Turkish-made drones have featured prominently in Ukraine's resistance against Russia's invasion, taking out significant Russian targets in the first few weeks of the war. But the conflict, and any possibility of a Russian victory, have cast a shadow over the future of Turkey's rapidly growing drone industry, which relies on Ukrainian engines.
- Interview: 'I can see how the Russian propaganda machine works here' Radio Free Asia 30 Mar 2022 -- RFA's Vietnamese Service interviewed Natalya Zhinkyna, interim representative of the Ukraine Embassy in Hanoi about her country's struggle under the Russian invasion and her work in the capital of Vietnam, a traditional ally of Russia, a number of whose people have turned out to support Ukraine. In a wide-ranging interview, she thanked the Vietnamese public for participating in recent charity events that raised more than $100,000 for humanitarian relief. The interview has been edited for length and clarity.
- Days After Publicly Supporting Ukraine's Sovereignty, Uzbek Foreign Minister Leaves Country With Illness RFE/RL 30 Mar 2022 -- Two days after publicly supporting Ukraine's territorial integrity, Uzbek Foreign Minister Abdulaziz Komilov is reported to have fallen "ill" and is being treated abroad.
- No To War: How Some Russians Are Protesting The Russian Invasion Of Ukraine RFE/RL 30 Mar 2022 -- One woman stood quietly just a few meters from a corner of the Kremlin with a paper sign reading "No to war." She lasted just a few minutes before riot police trundled her off to a waiting van.
- Ukrainians Struggle to Tell Russian Relatives About the War VOA 30 Mar 2022 -- Olga M. spent the first week of the Russian invasion hiding with her teenage son in a shelter in Kotsiubynske, a Kyiv suburb. As the shelling intensified in nearby Irpin, they fled, reaching Spain a week later.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list