Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
23 March 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's remarks and answers to questions at a meeting with students and faculty of the MGIMO University, Moscow, March 23, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 23 Mar 2022
- Russia-Ukraine Talks Difficult, Kiev Constantly Changing Positions, Lavrov Says Sputnik 23 Mar 2022 -- On Tuesday, Russian deputy representative to the United Nations Dmitri Polyansky suggested that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's recent statements contradict one another, making negotiations difficult.
- Russia FM: US hindering peace talks with Ukraine, seeks to prolong conflict Press TV 23 Mar 2022 -- Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says the United States is interested in prolonging the military conflict in Ukraine and is hindering what he described as "tough" peace talks between Moscow and Kiev.
- Putin, Macron discuss Ukraine issue over phone People's Daily 23 Mar 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday held a phone conversation with his French counterpart, Emmanuel Macron, during which they discussed the situation in Ukraine.
- Telephone conversation with Prime Minister of Israel Naftali Bennett President of Russia 23 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with Prime Minister of Israel Naftali Bennett.
- Telephone conversation with Federal Chancellor of Germany Olaf Scholz President of Russia 23 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with Federal Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany Olaf Scholz.
- NATO Fears Russia's Failures in Ukraine Making Putin More Dangerous VOA 23 Mar 2022 -- Senior Western officials are increasingly alarmed that Russia's losses in Ukraine are making President Vladimir Putin more dangerous, some going as far as to compare him to a caged animal ready to lash out.
- NATO Summit: Growing Calls for Tougher Military Response to Russia VOA 23 Mar 2022 -- NATO leaders meet Thursday in Brussels for an extraordinary summit on Russia's invasion of Ukraine, amid growing calls for the West to take stronger military action to support Kyiv's forces.
- Stoltenberg Expects NATO Leaders to Strengthen Alliance Posture DoD News 23 Mar 2022 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said he expects leaders will approve plans to strengthen the alliance's posture in all domains of warfare and to continue their unwavering support for the people of Ukraine.
- NATO leaders will decide on next steps to protect and defend all Allies NATO 23 Mar 2022 -- NATO leaders will meet in Brussels tomorrow, 24 March 2022. They will address the consequences of President Putin's invasion of Ukraine, discuss the role of China in this crisis, and decide on the next steps to strengthen NATO's deterrence and defence.
- Press conference by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg previewing the extraordinary Summit of NATO Heads of State and Government NATO 23 Mar 2022
- NATO To Beef Up Eastern Flank With Four More Battle Groups -- Stoltenberg RFE/RL 23 Mar 2022 -- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg says the Western alliance will deploy four new battle groups across Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania, and Slovakia as part of its response to Russia's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.
- After Russia's Ukraine Invasion, Baltics Push for Permanent NATO Presence VOA 23 Mar 2022 -- The small Baltic countries, whose militaries have long been dwarfed by that of neighboring Russia, are renewing their push for NATO to establish a larger and more permanent presence on their territory following the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
- Finnish Support of NATO Accession More Than Doubles Amid Russia's Special Op in Ukraine Sputnik 23 Mar 2022 -- In both Finland and Sweden, historically non-aligned, there has been a opinion shift toward NATO. However, the leadership remains pronouncedly more cautious.
- Statement by the IAEA Director General on Nuclear Safety and Security in Ukraine IAEA 23 Mar 2022 -- For the past few weeks, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has been actively working to ensure the safety and security of all nuclear installations in Ukraine during these dramatic and unique circumstances where major nuclear facilities are operating in an armed conflict zone.
- Update 30 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 23 Mar 2022 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) stands ready to send experts and equipment to Ukraine to help ensure the safety and security of its nuclear facilities and prevent the risk of a severe accident that could threaten both people and the environment, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said today.
- UN General Assembly emergency special session on Ukraine: UK statement UK FCDO 23 Mar 2022 -- Ambassador Barbara Woodward gave a statement at the UN General Assembly emergency special session on Ukraine.
- Russia's war on Ukraine, an assault on the world's vulnerable: Guterres UN News 23 Mar 2022 -- The war in Ukraine is not only a "horror unfolding before our eyes", but also an "assault on some of the most vulnerable people and countries" across the world, said the UN chief on Wednesday, convening the first meeting of the steering committee which will guide the creation of a new UN crisis response group to help mitigate the worldwide impact of Russia's invasion.
- Ukraine: Competing drafts on humanitarian assistance debated at General Assembly UN News 23 Mar 2022 -- The UN General Assembly met on Wednesday for its second emergency session on the Ukraine crisis since Russia invaded the country on 24 February, with two similar but different resolutions placed before delegates, addressing the unfolding humanitarian crisis.
- As Ukrainians Wait for Humanitarian Aid, More Talk at UN VOA 23 Mar 2022 -- The U.N. General Assembly began a lengthy debate Wednesday over two draft resolutions that seek to alleviate the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine, where millions wait for food, water and medical supplies or the chance to escape their besieged country safely.
- Russia ceases to be a Party to the European Convention on Human Rights on 16 September 2022 Council of Europe 23 Mar 2022 -- Following its expulsion from the Council of Europe on 16 March 2022, the Russian Federation will cease to be a High Contracting Party to the European Convention on Human Rights on 16 September 2022. This was confirmed today in a Resolution by the Committee of Ministers.
- Congress holds debates on the war in Ukraine, local democracy in Germany and involving children in sustainable development Council of Europe 23 Mar 2022 -- "We are meeting at a time when a Council of Europe member state, Ukraine, is the victim of an act of war committed by a former member state, the Russian Federation, said Congress President Leedert Verbeek at the opening of the 42nd session.
- Ukraine: EU support to help Member States meet the needs of refugees European Commission 23 Mar 2022 -- Today, the European Commission outlines the actions being taken to support Member States in meeting the needs of those fleeing the war against Ukraine and its people. Since the unprovoked and unjustified Russian invasion, some 3.5 million people - mainly women and children - have arrived in the EU in the space of just four weeks.
- Main messages from the Tripartite Social Summit European Commission 23 Mar 2022 -- EU leaders and social partners met, via video conference, at the tripartite social summit to discuss a united tripartite response to the social and economic impact of the Russian military aggression against Ukraine. The summit participants intervened on the following questions:
- Speech by President von der Leyen at the European Parliament Plenary on the debriefing of the European Council meeting in Paris on 10 March 2022 and on the preparation of the European Council meeting of 24-25 March 2022 European Commission 23 Mar 2022
- Ukraine: â‚¬3.4 billion REACT-EU pre-financing to Member States welcoming refugees fleeing Ukraine European Commission 23 Mar 2022 -- To support Member States welcoming and accommodating refugees fleeing the war in Ukraine, the Commission has today proposed to increase by â‚¬3.4 billion the total pre-financing from the Recovery Assistance for Cohesion and the Territories of Europe (REACT-EU).
- The readiness to help others represents "a ray of hope in dark days" Germany - Federal Government 23 Mar 2022 -- Federal Chancellor Scholz talked about the war in Ukraine and its consequences in the Bundestag on Wednesday. He also sees some encouraging developments including the enormous readiness to donate and solidarity.
- PM call with President Zelenskyy: 23 March 2022 Gov.UK 23 Mar 2022 -- Prime Minister Boris Johnson spoke to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.
- Britain To Send 6,000 Missiles To Aid Ukrainian Military, Says Boris Johnson RFE/RL 23 Mar 2022 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said late on March 23 that his country would send 6,000 more missiles and about $33 million in financial aid to Ukraine's military, which is battling against a brutal invasion by Russian forces.
- Russia's ongoing war of aggression against Ukraine: UK statement to the OSCE, 23 March 2022 UK FCDO 23 Mar 2022 -- Ian Stubbs (UK delegation to the OSCE) again urges Russian counterparts to stop spreading the Kremlin's disinformation about Russia's war against Ukraine.
- More vital medicines from UK arrive in Ukraine UK FCDO 23 Mar 2022 -- UK at forefront of humanitarian response with around 4 million medical items donated
- Netherlands lends support to Turkey's mediation role in Ukraine crisis People's Daily 23 Mar 2022 -- Turkey has been playing a "critical role" in mediation efforts to solve tensions in Ukraine, visiting Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said on Tuesday.
- Belarus Shuts Ukrainian Consulate In Brest, Expels Several Ukrainian Diplomats From Minsk RFE/RL 23 Mar 2022 -- The Belarusian government has shut down Ukraine's Consulate General in the western city of Brest and ordered an unspecified number of Ukrainian diplomats to leave the Ukrainian Embassy in Minsk as Belarus continues to assist Russian armed forces in their attacks against Ukraine.
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with Estonian Foreign Ministry Secretary General Vseviov US Dept. of State 23 Mar 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Call with South African Foreign Minister Pandor US Dept. of State 23 Mar 2022
- Finland Aims to Terminate Its Dependence on Russian Energy Sputnik 23 Mar 2022 -- Finland's aspiration to put an end to its reliance on Russian fossil fuels is clearly at odds with its ambitious climate goals, that include complete carbon neutrality by 2035.
- China, Pakistan share 'common position' on Ukraine crisis: ambassador Global Times 23 Mar 2022 -- China and Pakistan have been very closely coordinating on the Ukraine crisis and share a common position on the issue, calling for the de-escalation of the conflict and dialogue between the relevant parties, said Moin ul Haque, Ambassador of Pakistan to China, in an exclusive interview with the Global Times on Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list