Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
22 March 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Operational information on 12.00, 22.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 22 Mar 2022
- Operational information on 06.00, 22.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 22 Mar 2022
- Operational information on 24.00, 21.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 22 Mar 2022
- Ukraine Forces Launching Counterattacks as Russian Invasion Stalls VOA 22 Mar 2022 -- Nearly a month after Russian forces invaded Ukraine, there are growing indications Ukrainian forces are going on the offensive, targeting Russian troops and, in some cases, retaking lost ground.
- Senior Defense Official Holds a Background Briefing DoD 22 Mar 2022
- DOD Official: Ukrainian Fighters Continue to Hold Off Russia From Invading Kyiv DoD News 22 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian forces have continued to hold off Russian attempts at invading the Ukraine capital of Kyiv by about 15 km to the northwest and about 30 km to the east in the past 24 hours, according to a senior Defense Department official, who added there have been "no real changes by the Russians on the ground near Kyiv," in a briefing today.
- Day 27: Battle rages on around Ukrainian capital Kiev Press TV 22 Mar 2022 -- Fierce battle reportedly rages on around Ukraine's capital Kiev as Russian forces push to completely surround the city on the 27th day of a Russian military operation in the ex-Soviet republic.
- Desperate Mariupol Struggles To Hold Off Russians; Ukrainian Advances Reported Near Kyiv RFE/RL 22 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said the besieged port city of Mariupol has been left in "ruins" after days of relentless Russian bombing, as his government pleaded with Moscow to allow the evacuation of civilians and as the UN chief demanded an end to the "absurd" war started by Russia four weeks ago.
- US Sees No Indications Russia Brought in Reinforcements to Ukraine - Senior Official Sputnik 22 Mar 2022 -- The United States has seen no indications that Russia brought in reinforcements as well as foreign fighters to Ukraine, a senior US Defense Department official said on Tuesday.
- Ukraine Demands Russia Allow Aid into Mariupol and Open a Corridor for Safe Civilian Passage VOA 22 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine demanded Tuesday that Russia allow humanitarian aid into Mariupol and let civilians leave the strategic city that has been heavily bombarded by Russia since its invasion of Ukraine started nearly a month ago.
- Day 27: Zelensky rejects Russian ultimatum, urges talks with Putin Press TV 22 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine says it will not obey ultimatums from Russia after Moscow demanded it stop defending besieged Mariupol which has become a focal point of the conflict.
- Comment by Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova on Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky's address to the Israeli Knesset Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 22 Mar 2022
- Comment by Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova on statements by International Criminal Court Prosecutor Karim Khan Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 22 Mar 2022
- Russia Would Only Use Nuclear Weapons if Its Existence Was Threatened, Kremlin Says Sputnik 22 Mar 2022 -- Russia would only use nuclear weapons if it determined its existence as a nation was threatened, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told CNN.
- Moscow Slams US Claims on Chemical Weapons in Russia as Malicious Insinuations Sputnik 22 Mar 2022 -- Washington's claims that Russia allegedly can use chemical and biological weapons are nothing but malicious insinuations, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov said on Tuesday.
- Kremlin: Russia seeks 'more substantial' talks with Ukraine to end conflict Press TV 22 Mar 2022 -- Russia says it would like to have more "substantial" talks with Kiev to end almost a month of conflict, which has so far forced more than 3.5 million people to flee Ukraine.
- Russia's Upper House to Take Part in Joint Probe With Duma on Biological Labs in Ukraine Sputnik 22 Mar 2022 -- Members of the Federation Council, the upper house of Russia's parliament, will work in a joint commission with the lower house - the State Duma - to investigate US biological laboratories in Ukraine, Grigory Karasin, head of the Council's Foreign Affairs Committee, told Sputnik.
- Kremlin says premature for Putin-Zelensky meeting People's Daily 22 Mar 2022 -- Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Monday that it is too early to talk about a meeting between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, as there is no breakthrough yet in the peace talks.
- Russian Lawmakers Approve Broadening Of Law On Spreading 'False Information' RFE/RL 22 Mar 2022 -- Russian lawmakers have approved a law criminalizing the distribution of "deliberately false information" about the operations of state entities, including embassies abroad, in an expansion of a much criticized piece of legislation that prompted several media outlets to suspend their Russian operations.
- Update 29 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 22 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine has not reported any major new developments related to nuclear safety over the past 24 hours, with the regulator today informing the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that safety systems are continuing to function at the country's four operating nuclear power plants and radiation levels remain at normal levels, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said.
- UN Chief Says Time To End 'Absurd War' Started By Russia Against Ukraine RFE/RL 22 Mar 2022 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has urged an end to the "absurd war" Russia has launched against Ukraine, calling it an "unwinnable" conflict that is putting people through "a living hell."
- Time to negotiate end to 'unwinnable' war in Ukraine, Guterres declares UN News 22 Mar 2022 -- It's time for a diplomatic solution to be found to end Russia's invasion of Ukraine, amidst signs of hope that progress can be made to end an "unwinnable" and "indefensible" war, said the UN chief on Tuesday.
- UN Chief to Russia, Ukraine: Time to Negotiate 'Unwinnable' War VOA 22 Mar 2022 -- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said Tuesday that the "unwinnable" war in Ukraine is "going nowhere fast" and it is time the parties negotiate a cease-fire.
- WHO: Ukrainian Refugees in Poland Suffering Health, Mental Disorders VOA 22 Mar 2022 -- The World Health Organization reports hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian refugees are arriving in Poland in utter distress and afflicted with a staggering number of health and mental disorders.
- UN General Assembly to vote again on Ukraine: spokesperson People's Daily 22 Mar 2022 -- The UN General Assembly (UNGA) will vote Wednesday on a draft resolution on Ukraine, the second such resolution since the start of Russia's special military operation in Ukraine, a spokesperson said Monday.
- Macron Speaks Separately With Zelenskiy, Putin But Reports 'No Agreement' Reached RFE/RL 22 Mar 2022 -- French President Emmanuel Macron held separate calls with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy and Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin about the conditions needed for a potential cease-fire, the French presidency said.
- President of the European Parliament in Berlin - "The war in Ukraine also marks a turning point for the European Union" Germany - Federal Government 22 Mar 2022 -- Federal Chancellor Olaf Scholz welcomed the President of the European Parliament, Roberta Metsola, to Berlin ahead of the European Council meeting this week. The Federal Chancellor explained that both leaders wanted to co-ordinate closely as for Europe what mattered was: "We will only achieve something if all of us - the European Commission, the European Parliament, and the Member States - keep pulling together."
- Turkish Defence Ministry Reportedly Warned Ships of Mines Drifting in Black Sea Sputnik 22 Mar 2022 -- The Turkish Ministry of Defence asked ships to track drifting mines after the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) said that Ukraine had mined approaches to its ports in the Black Sea, Turkish newspaper Hurriyet reported.
- UK donates 3.7 million medical items to Ukraine UK FCDO 22 Mar 2022 -- More than 3.7 million items of medical supplies have been given to Ukraine by the UK to help with the response to the Russian invasion.
- Phone call between Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and The Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom India PIB 22 Mar 2022 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi spoke on phone today with The Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- US Deputy Secretary Nuland Urges India to Join Condemnation of Russia's Op in Ukraine Sputnik 22 Mar 2022 -- India should join other democracies in condemning Russia's actions in Ukraine, US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Victoria Nuland told NDTV.
- Greek Foreign Minister Proposes Leading Aid Mission To Mariupol RFE/RL 22 Mar 2022 -- Greek Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias has proposed leading a humanitarian aid mission to the besieged Ukrainian port city of Mariupol.
- China Uses Overseas Social Media to Spread Unique Views on War in Ukraine VOA 22 Mar 2022 -- Chinese state-controlled media are placing volumes of content on popular social media platforms to air the government's unique message about Russia's war on Ukraine to a Western audience, analysts say. News readers don't always know the content's origin, they add.
- China, Pakistan should strengthen coordination on Afghanistan and Ukraine issues: FM Wang Yi Global Times 22 Mar 2022 -- China and Pakistan should strengthen coordination on international and regional issues such as Afghanistan and Ukraine, practice true multilateralism and oppose power politics, bullying and unilateral sanctions, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Monday at a joint conference with Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi in Islamabad.
- Pakistan Advocates Mediation by Islamic World, China in Ukraine Conflict VOA 22 Mar 2022 -- Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan advocated on Tuesday for Muslim countries and close ally China to work together to mediate and put an end to the Russia-Ukraine conflict.
- Italy Freezes Over $880Mln Worth Assets of Russian Businessmen Under EU Sanctions Sputnik 22 Mar 2022 -- Italy has frozen more than 800 million euros ($880 million) worth assets of Russian oligarchs currently under EU sanctions, Prime Minister Mario Draghi said on Tuesday.
- Ukraine-Russia War: Africa Undercuts Ability to Mediate, Analysts Say VOA 22 Mar 2022 -- Political analysts say South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has undercut his own utility as a potential mediator of the war in Ukraine with a controversial suggestion that NATO's own actions are to blame for Russia's invasion of its western neighbor.
- Pro-Kremlin Newspaper Says Hackers To Blame For Russian Military Death Toll Report RFE/RL 22 Mar 2022 -- The Russian pro-Kremlin Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper says hackers attacked its system and briefly published a figure indicating a Russian death toll of nearly 10,000 soldiers from the fighting in Ukraine before editors deleted the information.
- Pro-Kremlin Newspaper Posts Russian Death Toll Of Almost 10,000, Then Deletes It RFE/RL 22 Mar 2022 -- The Russian Komsomolskaya pravda newspaper briefly published a figure indicating a Russian death toll of nearly 10,000 soldiers from the fighting in Europe -- then quickly deleted the information.
- Foreigners Fighting for Ukraine Elicit Scorn, Ambivalence, Support From Governments VOA 22 Mar 2022 -- The emergence of thousands of foreigners volunteering to fight for Ukraine against Russia's invasion has drawn sharply differing responses from the governments of those pro-Ukraine fighters, some of whom are from Russia itself and its ally Belarus.
- Key Players in Ukraine Conflict Embody Distinct Leadership Styles VOA 22 Mar 2022 -- The ideologue. The charismatic leader. The pragmatist.
- Belarus KGB Says Eight Out of 19 Diplomats at Ukraine Embassy Are Spies - Report Sputnik 22 Mar 2022 -- The Belarussian State Security Committee (KGB) has eliminated a Ukrainian spy network that worked under diplomatic cover, the state-run Belta news agency reported on Tuesday.
- Lebanon facing wheat crisis amid Russia-Ukraine conflict: president People's Daily 22 Mar 2022 -- Lebanese President Michel Aoun said on Monday that the Russia-Ukraine conflict affected Lebanon's capacity to secure sufficient wheat, urging UN to increase food support for his country, a statement by Lebanon's Presidency reported.
- Ukraine War Heightens French, European Concerns Over Russia's Africa Presence VOA 22 Mar 2022 -- Less than a decade ago, former French president Francois Hollande received a triumphant welcome â€” and a fretful camel â€” during a visit to Mali, where cheering crowds hailed France's advances against a fierce Islamist insurgency.
- Russia Talks With North Korea Amid Western Outrage Over Ukraine RFE/RL 22 Mar 2022 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry says Moscow and Pyongyang have discussed developing bilateral ties "in the context of changes taking place in the international arena."
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list